Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2003, 12:55 AM   #11
kartetse
The Magister

Boy, NobleNick! You have PEDIGREE, man! I sort of awakened to the world of computers on an old VIC 20, yup, with 20k of memory. Much has happened since.

Quick question: I've got IWD + HoW and have ordered IWDII. Should I go for Baldur's Gate? How much 'older' in terms of look-and-feel is it than IWD? Should I rather look to Neverwinter Nights next?

kartetse

---------------------
do da do, kick da goo and stay outta da zoo...
kartetse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 11:50 AM   #12
Scoo Lightbringer
Welcomed New User

20 year old male. Studying history. My first contact with "fantasy" was through King Arthur and the knights at the round table I´d say back as a child/young teenager. Got into computers through a VIC/Commodore 64 playing PacMan III and High Noon and such [img]smile.gif[/img]

Have fooled around a bit with pen and paper RPGs, but not D&D before Baldurs Gate. IWD suits me I suppose, as the scenery is a bit like Finland Not really though... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Scoo

Edit:
Having read motub´s post I thought I´d point out that I´m a huge sci-fi fan too.. Fond of all the classics like Asimov and the like and lately Peter F Hamilton (british author), I sure can recommend his short stories and novella

[ 11-05-2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Scoo Lightbringer ]
Scoo Lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 01:35 PM   #13
motub
The Magister

Oh, well, I guess I'd better put in my vote for both the elder gamers and the distaff side...

F, 40, living with fiancé with no date set for a ceremony, no kids.

I've been a sci-fi/fantasy fan since... always. The first "real" book I remember reading is The Andromeda Strain (my parents were genre/cult media fans also), and back in my day, the great divide between being a sci-fi fan and a fantasy fan was very small, so it wasn't a big step from reading "I, Robot" to "The Lord of the Rings" et. al. I also played some D&D in college (started a new race, actually, but the gnome father of my half-breed gnelf child stole the results of our one-night-stand when I got killed, and no one ressurrected me so I could change alignment and murder his sleazy butt . Too bad, I was looking forward to it-- don't forget, this was well before The Terminator and such).

My first full personal computer (as opposed the Panasonic dedicated word processor-- anybody else remember those?) was a hand-me-down Mac Plus on which I played "Dark Queen of Krynn". The Mac Plus was a BW machine, so there wasn't much I could play on it, but I had a NES, and later a SuperNintendo, so that made up for it. Aaah, Final Fantasy...Dragon Warrior... StarTropics... I still miss that machine (emulation is nice, but my fiancé still has his C64, so I'm jealous).

I was all set to upgrade to a Quadra or LCII (I was in love with playing "The 7th Guest" on a friend's Mac), but then I got a hand-me-down 286, which I had to rebuild to make useful, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Just as well, really... I don't think that "Betrayal at Krondor" was ever available for the Mac, and I would have been really sorry to have missed playing that (especially considering that I still do play it, sometimes).
motub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:45 PM   #14
Twid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

M 28 ambulance chaser [img]tongue.gif[/img] jk

i work for a lawfirm...

my very first PC..hmmm,i dont think you can even consider it a PC..a timex touchpad....

then went to Commodore 64
my first run in with Fantasy games is playing D'N'D in highschool. then playing the game Phantasy...then my all time fav games, Pool of Radiance and Secret of the Silver Blade. then came drakken and Zelda for 8 bit nintendo. Then switching to Final Fantasy for ps1. Then got UO played it for 6 years...

[ 11-05-2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Twid ]
Twid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:33 AM   #15
Sonic
Zhentarim Guard

Baldurs gate is a old classicer its like icewind dale 1 and realy good,Its better kous it got ALOT of side questes but not the Thing about fighting an army like when you where fighting the skeleton generals army.But if you like iwd 1 i would say that you should trye Baldurs gate 1+2.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:07 PM   #16
Buschmonkey
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm a male, 21 living in Canada.

I'm not married, no kids, but I'm engaged and planning a family. I'm a freelance Computer Service Technician and Systems Consultant and am starting my own business.

I am a DM for my own 3E campaign and IWD, BG, BG2, PoR, NWN, etc are extensions of my love of D&D. Besides it helps with the ideas!

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of roleplayers in the house, player and DM alike.

Cheers!
Buschmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 03:12 PM   #17
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by kartetse:
Boy, NobleNick! You have PEDIGREE, man! I sort of awakened to the world of computers on an old VIC 20, yup, with 20k of memory. Much has happened since.

Quick question: I've got IWD + HoW and have ordered IWDII. Should I go for Baldur's Gate? How much 'older' in terms of look-and-feel is it than IWD? Should I rather look to Neverwinter Nights next?

kartetse

---------------------
I say go for BG series! [img]smile.gif[/img] Actually IIRC IWD is older then BG II. Anyhow both are using IE so it is the same mostly. About NWN... I dislike Single Player(too much hack`n`slash) but Mutli-player rocks!
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:40 AM   #18
kartetse
The Magister

Ok, I'll start training my budget to say 'Yes, Boss!' next time I see Baldur's Gate available...

kartetse

---------------------
Old 11-12-2003, 09:10 AM   #19
kartetse
The Magister

OK, so we've got 7 early-mid rangers (16-21), 4 mid rangers (28-34) and then 2 of ...mmm... mature stock! Actually half of us are (according to this very loosly sampled survey) are over 26, which is interesting - it might have something to do with what we enjoy in life? That fact that we are already established in a working environment? The younger lot aren't that young either! They're not like 11-15.

Also, have you noticed how friendly, congenial and helpful the lot here is? I feel like a long lost friend when I pop in.

I'm so impressed with motub's help for warnie on another post - and that is not an isolated incident. What makes us meet here in this side puddle of the cosmic ocean. OK - it's the game, but why are we playing it, and enjoying it? Is it something in the game reflected in us? Or is this specualtion just plain daft and a waste of time?

I think not, I'm really tickled pink about the dynamics of (dare I say it?) mini sub-culture like this, that we are partaking in...

kartetse

---------------------

[ 11-12-2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: kartetse ]
Old 11-12-2003, 12:41 PM   #20
NobleNick
Quintesson

kartetse,

I think you have something. The participants on this forum, young and old, can typically be characterized as having respect for others. This is more true now than it was 18 months ago, when flaming incidents and other childish behavior were not rare. I think we may have hit a critcal mass, where enough respectful folks have congregated; and new ones trickle in at a relatively low rate, so as not to upset the culture. Those that don't fit in to the existing culture simply move on.
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote