Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2003, 11:51 AM   #1
SillySorcerer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, so this is one of those questions that I could probably answer myself if I were to take the time and experiment a little, but since I am wasting time at work and not actually able to play the game, I'll ask anyway...

How does the Cleric Harm spell work?

Last night I was battling a dragon and told my cleric to cast harm on it. After selecting the spell, though, I got the sword cursor instead of the spell cursor. I clicked on the dragon and the cleric walked up and did a melee attack without casting the spell. After the battle, I noticed that my cleric still had the spell in his memory (he had not cast it).

Pretty weird-- It seems intuitive that a target would have to be selected for this combat spell.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:59 AM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by SillySorcerer:
Ok, so this is one of those questions that I could probably answer myself if I were to take the time and experiment a little, but since I am wasting time at work and not actually able to play the game, I'll ask anyway...
LOL - i know exactly what you mean [img]smile.gif[/img]

i understand that Harm creates a temporary item that 'has' the spell effect and you have to make a successful melee attack with that 'weapon' - other then that i'm not sure
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 12:13 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Cast harm on your own cleric, then make a successful melee attack on the target, and the target will be reduced to one HP and should be an easy kill.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:54 PM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

click on the spell and wait for the cleric to cast it, you cannot target the spell (same thing with shocking grasp, ghoul touch, cause light wounds, spiritual hammer, chill touch, black blade of disaster, etc) as it autotargets the clerics hands and changes the icon in your weapon bar after casting, you must then take this "new" weapon and strike your foe, if you hit and the spell makes it past magic resistance you've just reduced your target to 1-4hp's
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:41 PM   #5
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Which is hard, cause you'll have to hit a target with a priests Thac0...Better hope you are a multi or dual with fighterabilities...
Old 10-02-2003, 02:13 PM   #6
SillySorcerer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks everyone, that helps and I will give it a try. Because my cleric's thaco is nothing to write home about, I'll probably have him use Harm on a pudding or something.

I was battling Draconis last night-- That guy is pretty tough. My sorcerer finally got him with a time stop-feeblemind combo, but it took a few tries!
Old 10-02-2003, 02:17 PM   #7
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

M/C`s are deadly with Time Stop + Harm. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-02-2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 02:39 PM   #8
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by SillySorcerer:
Thanks everyone, that helps and I will give it a try. Because my cleric's thaco is nothing to write home about, I'll probably have him use Harm on a pudding or something.
You can use Holy Power before that Harm - you get Fighter's THAC0.

Even better - you can use some STR enhancing spells to raise you THAC0 even higher - DUHM, Righteous Magic, ...

[ 10-02-2003, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Leslie ]
Old 10-02-2003, 03:05 PM   #9
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Yup buff the priests THAC0, and strength.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 03:48 PM   #10
Borg
The Magister

Does MR affect Harm? I thought it only required a successful Melee attack. I used it successfully on a hot ToB boss one time and I thought he had a high MR for some reason.
Borg is offline   Reply With Quote