Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Jun20.html

While original reports through TV and other made me originally say "Guilty", after reading this article I am having some doubts that they caught the correct man, or that it is possible that more than one person had been involved as there are just some things that do not add up.

1. No one can place him at the scene and no one can prove the allegations of theft of the materials from the Humvee.
2. Hansen pointed out that two different soldiers testified they told investigators that Akbar was not the man they saw shoot Seifert. One witness said he saw a second shot fired that he thought came from a second shooter.
3. The probe was tainted when Col. Ben Hodges, the brigade commander, told the arriving investigator that a soldier had confessed to the crime because he said American soldiers were going to rape and kill Muslims in Iraq.

I am defiantly currently not going to be quick to give guilty verdict until more facts have been presented. Currently smells of scapegoat!!!

A Penny for your thoughts!!!!
Old 06-20-2003, 05:00 PM   #2
Faceman
Hathor

I'm waiting for further investigation results. It's not wise to judge when you do not have proper information. And I do not consider a newspaper article in pre-court state proper information.

There is however one thought I can share:

He selected the weapons, he pulled the pins, he threw the grenades and he
shot Maj. (Kenneth) Romaine with his rifle," Cook said.

Whether this soldier is guilty or not this is a statement I disapprove of.
Not only is he making assumptions without evidence. He rhetorically tries to proof something he does not know by describing in detail what he has not seen!

Just because he is convinced does not mean he has to convince others. Let the courts find out.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

He admitted to his guards that he did it. So they should put him in a concrete room and start tossing in grenades. After several minutes check and see if he is dead. Continue if by some chance he still clings to life. Then leave his body out for the dogs to eat.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:09 AM   #4
Faceman
Hathor

People are fat in admitting something to "their guards" or "their friends" or "the investigating officer" or ...
I wait until he admits in court or is convicted in court. That's the way the legal system works and for a good reason that is.
After that I totally agree on proper punishment (i.e. life sentence IMHO)
Old 06-22-2003, 02:18 PM   #5
Eisenschwarz

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
He admitted to his guards that he did it. So they should put him in a concrete room and start tossing in grenades. After several minutes check and see if he is dead. Continue if by some chance he still clings to life. Then leave his body out for the dogs to eat.
Gosh, That sounds like something that Osama bin laden would do or approve of.

Also, I may point out that's it's a very narrow view, very narrow indeed. It speaks of lack of empathy and understanding on many issues.

First of all, just because someone claims to have done something, It doesn't mean that they have automatically done it.
(Strange though that may sound)
This is why we have a legal system, so that we can attempt (for is justice not blind?) to uncloud the bathroom mirror of truth and take the decesion that is in the context of the people legislateing and presideing over the system, fair (what they see as fair, since there is no abstract "justice" we can all gaze at in wonderment)

What you suggest is punishment via power, And punishment via power is useually the area of places like China or the soviet union, since they had very little acutal legal or judicial system.
instead, they just hold you forever or killed you like that!

Secondly, The American constitution forbids cruel and unusual punishments.
Do you want them to poop all over the American constitution?

Old 06-22-2003, 02:34 PM   #6
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

I say let him die the same way his victims did.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:40 PM   #7
Eisenschwarz

Quote:
I say let him die the same way his victims did.
How do you know he killed them?
It’s a fundamental fact that just because someone says they did something, it doesn’t always mean that they have.
For example: Lying.

And would you really wish to destroy and damage the legal system and poop all over the constitution?
Since the constitution does forbid cruel and unusual punishment I must remind you.

Old 06-23-2003, 11:35 AM   #8
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I'll wait til after the Courts-martial. They will be fair in deciding guilt or innocence and in administoring punishment if it is warrented.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:11 AM   #9
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
It' so nice to see American's so willing to crap all over the Consitution and Bill of Rights. You would feel more at home in China or Cuba I think khaz.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:43 PM   #10
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Actually, when you join the military, you give up a lot of those rights guranteed in the Bill of rights and the Constitution.