Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Fat Tax: For It or Against It?
I could live with a FAT tax. 14 42.42%
The Government can kiss my butt, I ain't paying! 19 57.58%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2003, 12:13 PM   #1
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I read two reports on CNN this morning concerning a proposed fat tax. One was in New York State, where a State representative is proposing a 1% tax on all video games, television, fast food and junk food. Here's the LINK.
The other article concerns a proposal by the British Medical Board to impose a 17.5% VAT tax to all fast food, junk food and those foods high in fat content. Here's the LINK to that.

My question is are you for a such a tax or against such a tax?

[ 06-19-2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Sir Taliesin ]
Old 06-19-2003, 12:15 PM   #2
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Why not just come up with an across the board tax increase of like .5% or something in all sales tax rather than on just certain items?????
Old 06-19-2003, 12:44 PM   #3
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

It's just another case of government telling us we are too stupid to do what is good for us.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:59 PM   #4
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
It's just another case of government telling us we are too stupid to do what is good for us.
Well we are too stupid to do what is good for us. Given the latest studies show that 60 percent of Americans are overweight I would tend to agree with them [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2003, 01:27 PM   #5
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I voted that it wouldn't bother me to pay a little bit more, but at the same time I don't hink that it's any of the Government's business whether I'm fat (I am) or not. I do think the 17.5% VAT tax in Britain is extreme to the max! Especially, when I understand that the average British citizen is already paying something like 80% of his or her income in taxes anyway.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:50 PM   #6
Zero Alpha

By taxing something specific to change lifestyles is a form of oppression. it says 'peole are not allowed to be fat'. how is that fair? if someone chooses to be fat then they have the right to pay a fair price for food. also what about people who can only just afford fast food now? its just another broken freedom

[ 06-19-2003, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Zero Alpha ]
Old 06-19-2003, 01:53 PM   #7
Arvon
Unicorn

Who the hell is going to determine what is junk food? One of those pointy headed people on the tv who think they can live you life better than you? Your junk food may be my occasional treat. Don't give me that crap that it cost government more 'cause I'm fat. Who asked them to pay in the first place?

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 06-19-2003, 01:53 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
Well we are too stupid to do what is good for us. Given the latest studies show that 60 percent of Americans are overweight I would tend to agree with them [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]On the other hand, as a whole, people have never been prettier and sexier.

In general, the world is becoming easier to live in for the slightly-overweight folks that make up the majority of the 60% figure cited. Low-rise pants and other various new ways of designing clothes to actually mold to the persons figure are making it possible for the 10-20 pound overweight folks look much better than they did 15 years ago.

Extreme obesity is a problem, I do admit, but as a whole people are prettier.

Oh, and the tax. Why don't they just NOT pass another damned tax.

[ 06-19-2003, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 06-19-2003, 02:24 PM   #9
Arvon
Unicorn

That's interesting...my pop-up stopper won't let me vote.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 06-19-2003, 02:27 PM   #10
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
Especially, when I understand that the average British citizen is already paying something like 80% of his or her income in taxes anyway.
No way is that the average tax rate! Only really high earners pay that much. Most of us pay around 25% in combined taxes and National Insurance.

VAT is already charged on food you eat in a restaurant, so I'm assuming these new proposals are for food purchased in stores to cook at home. Absolutely outrageous.

BTW - shouldn't the 2nd poll question have read 'The government can kiss my fat ass'???