Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2003, 04:32 AM   #1
Masklinn

It's a miracle !

If you have a copy of Day of the Tentacle (what a wonderful game) and Windows XP (or NT or 2000) as OS, rejoice ! You will be able to play it again with full sound and all !

All you have to do is download this wonderful DOS-sound emulator named VMDSound.

The important thing is to setup the game with these settings for the sound :
SoundBlaster
Port : 220
IRQ : 7

Then you need to create a shortcut with this command line :
"c:\where_ever_it_is\VDMSrun.bat" c:\where_ever_it_is\dott.exe
and for "working" directory the directory of the game (not the one of VMDS).

Just run the shortcut and...yay ! Back in 1994

This nice emulator seems to really help when it comes to make old games work. Most of the times its the sound management that messes up everything. With that it's completly solved.
All you need to do is always configure sound as : SoundBlaster, port 220, irq 7 and then run VMDSrun.bat with the path of the game exe as parameter (see the shortcut I described). Don't forget the "working" directory or the game won't find its other files.

So far I made Day of the Tentacle, Cannon Fodder 1, Colonization and Monkey Island 1 work perfectly on Xp (with sound and all).
Had to cut the sound off for Colonization though, didn't remember it was so annoying [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, I will try more and more games with that and tell you which ones I made work.

-=*YaY*=-

Old 02-26-2003, 04:59 AM   #2
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Great news Masklinn - I have a few old games I may try to get that to work for. I know Ultima 6 will run through windows but getting teh sound to work was a pain - might load it up and give at a go.

PS : I think I still have the Day of the Tentacle disks hanging aout some place too
Old 02-26-2003, 06:30 AM   #3
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Will this work if u have on board sound?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 02-26-2003, 06:40 AM   #4
Masklinn

I think it will.
What it does is just emulating a SoundBlaster DOS Environment and Management from Windows NT/2000/XP Whatever_sound_card_you_have Management.

But try it and tell us, then we'll be sure
Old 02-26-2003, 06:46 AM   #5
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

While we're at it, a great abandonware site where all of these wonderful classics can be found is: http://aw.localhost.ee/aw/
This isn't warez, it's not illegal. It's sharing the love [img]smile.gif[/img] Tim Shafer himself said he doesn't mind if people distribute his old games (such as Day of the Tentacle).

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2003, 06:58 AM   #6
Masklinn

Thx Hiero, this is indeed a nice site !

For it being legal or not, well, it is not. But it is highly tolerated, these games are not being sold anymore...so...*shrug* [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thx a lot for the URL anyway

EDIT : Just saw that they have as well a good list of tools (including VDMSound) to make these games work on recent machines/OS. Very nice site [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 02-26-2003, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Masklinn ]
Old 02-26-2003, 07:06 AM   #7
Masklinn

OMG ! They have Lure of Tempress !
Sigh, I'm being all nostalgic now...
LoL
Old 02-26-2003, 07:34 AM   #8
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

yeah, besides home of the underdogs (www.theunderdogs.org) this is the best site I've found. They have almost any old game you could think of, including Gabriel Knight 1!!! You HAVE to play at least one of the Gabriel Knight games in your lifetime or else you've never really LIVED!!!!
Old 02-26-2003, 08:11 AM   #9
Masklinn

Nah, Monkey Island is the one you really need to play before dying

Oh I played GK 3 (the one all in movie sequences), does that count ? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2003, 11:12 AM   #10
MagiK

Great posts both to Masklinn and The Heirophant!! I had forgotten about the abandonware website... and the sound thing has definate possibilities...thanks to both you guys! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]