Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2003, 05:15 AM   #11
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

In my hometown of Dunedin there is a very strong university student cultural element. A Starbucks opened up there some 3 or 4 years ago, and has been chastised by most 'coffee culture' folks ever since. Primarily this is due to the fact that there are quite a few 'tried and true' coffee shops there, and the foreign-owned, aggressively-advertising franchise of Starbucks is viewed as a threat to the local cafe's income. Hogwash of course, but the apprehension is still there. Basically, Starbucks is viewed as 'just another soulless American corporation' to many New Zealanders, which may or may not be true. But regardless, many prefer the 'character' (as referred to by Yorick) of the locally-owned cafes over the mass-marketing of Starbucks.

Having worked in both a locally-owned cafe (weekend work to pay my way through Uni [img]smile.gif[/img] ) and a franchise one I can certainly say that locally-owned ones are more 'human' in the way they treat both their customers and workers. Locally-owned cafes also tend to allow for more individual creativity and do not demand the same degree of unbending adherance to uniform procedure. I currently work at 'McCafe', which is a subdivision of McDonalds Australasia (they are trying it out here in NZ and in Australia to see if it's profitable enough to launch in America). Basically it is exactly the same as Starbucks (all the nice coffees and such. I make a great cappuchino by the way, if you're ever in town be sure to swing by ) except owned by the McDonalds corporation. I have to say I hate the 'do-as-you're-told-for-minimum-wage' mentality and am pining for the job I had in Dunedin working for a locally-owned place with better pay and more freedom. Come the 18th of February I'm handing in my notice, I'm only working there to save up enough to go to Europe for a holiday in March (which I've almost done. YEAH!!!).

It may be different in America, as that is where the Starbucks Corporation is from, but among the younger, liberal, bourgeois population of NZ, supporting foreign corporations is a bit of a social no-no [img]smile.gif[/img] Stupid sure, but true.

[ 02-08-2003, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 02-08-2003, 05:45 AM   #12
WillowIX
Apophis

I have nothing against Starbucks. Of course there are better places to go to. There is a charming little place here in Toronto that grinds their own beans, and they have a variety of them. Of course you go there to drink coffe notihng else! Still Starbucks is nifty if you want a quick cup of coffe. Still, do they have to be everywhere? That´s my main dislike of Starbucks. 4 shops within 100 meters? Is that really necessary?
Old 02-08-2003, 07:22 AM   #13
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Can't speak for the specialty stuff like cider, but their coffee sucks. Tastes burnt most of the time Tim Hortons is much better.

Haven't tried their cappucinos, but if they're anything like Timmy Ho's, they just use powdered instant.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:05 AM   #14
Bristowe
Elminster

I dun like Starbucks because their coffee tastes euugh..it's just not good.
Now we have Hudson's where i live. and Gloria Jeans as well, them are way better I love my caffiene
Old 02-08-2003, 03:08 PM   #15
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

'round SoCal, i've been to other coffee shops, and I can honestly say that the coffee they have there is almost the same as Starbucks and more or less the same price. And they do have delicious carmel apple cider. For those of you who say their coffe sucks than don't try the coffee, try the tea or cider or creme' fraps. I do realize that they're everywhere *thinks of the Simpsons episode where Bart is walking through the mall and every store is a Starbucks), but most of them are big, have couches, cushy armchairs, and are great places to plop down and study. Can't blame them for trying to spread the love to other countries .
Old 02-08-2003, 03:54 PM   #16
purre
Banned

Quote:
Yorick
Do what you like LadyBlue and pay no mind if sex fights get all snooty on you

In a charvering sense Starbucks is the Sex fights of coffee smacks. That's probably why it's deep throated upon by some. The fingering ambience in quirky smaller single store places is usually a raiding lot better. But I agree with you. The various aardvarks are quite nice. I've met deep throats for a felching Fists coffee and I've met fists in unique stores. All part of the thrusting gamut of coffee experiences one can partake in. Definitely not blowing you should be plowed of.
Interesting opinions... you seem to like starbucks much,do you?
Old 02-08-2003, 05:01 PM   #17
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Purre, do you have a virus or something? That's the second time I've seen you quote something that was never posted. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2003, 05:03 PM   #18
purre
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
Purre, do you have a virus or something? That's the second time I've seen you quote something that was never posted. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
I wonder that too..virus sounds good... shall we name that new virus:

1.Attalus
2.Ziroc
3.Mouse

which one do you prefer? I'm sure that there are other as suitable names too
Old 02-08-2003, 05:04 PM   #19
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Blue03:
'round SoCal, i've been to other coffee shops, and I can honestly say that the coffee they have there is almost the same as Starbucks and more or less the same price. And they do have delicious carmel apple cider.
I've heard that's good, next time I'm in Chapters I might try it. (Chapters book stores all have Starbucks cafes in them)

Here in Canada, Timmy Ho's is the reigning king of coffee shops, and the coffee is good. I invite all Americans to come up for a visit and try it.

Starbucks plain coffeee doesn't even come close, and it's double the price!
Old 02-08-2003, 06:28 PM   #20
Epona
Zartan

I really hate Starbucks, and I'll tell you why:

1. Like McDonalds and other large chains, they are making all our towns into clones of one another. I prefer individuality - I prefer to go to a town, look at the high street, and see that it is different from other towns, with a unique character and unique shops, pubs, restaurants, and dare I say it, coffee bars. (This is my main reason for disliking them). Now there is a Starbucks in every high street, and they all look the same. It's dull, it's boring, and that's not what life should be about.

2. Their coffee is *not* good, it's OK, but it's nothing compared to that you get in the coffee shops I go to, and it's horrendously overpriced.

3. They have no atmosphere or ambience.

I live in London, and fortunately Starbucks have not yet completely taken over. I like to hang out in Soho, where there are lots of little Italian coffee bars, all different, all with their own atmosphere, fantastic coffee which isn't as overpriced, and a lovely range of fresh cakes.

Oh and Arledrian, I'm working class, but as you can see my reasons for disliking it are *quite* different than the ones you've suggested. Most of my working class mates would agree with me. I have one mate who is a right snob, and I had to twist her arm *not* to take me to Starbucks, but to go to this place I know instead. When we got there and had our coffee and cake, she enjoyed it so much more that she vowed never to visit Starbucks again - there is a bigger world out there than just the latest fad chain of bars/restaurants etc.

Why should it be seen as a good thing to have no individuality? To go to the same coffee bar wherever you go in the world? Break free and try something different.