Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 05:51 PM   #51
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Anyone like the Monkees? When I was little, I liked some of those.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Well you've got to really, haven't you

I used to fancy Davy Jones something rotten when I was a kid
Old 06-04-2003, 06:06 PM   #52
the sauceman
Zhentarim Guard

"Hey hey, we're the Monkeys, people say we monkey around. But we're too busy singin, to put anybody down!"
yeah, i remember the Monkeys...
While everyone is talking about the Band that had the greatest influence on music, I would like to say something else.
My favorite band of all time is Kamelot, I just cant fight thier addictiveness...cant fight it...its sucking me in again! Help meeeee.......
Old 06-04-2003, 06:10 PM   #53
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Anyone seeing where I'm from will know why I mention them If we're talking pure doe here, then ABBA is the most successful band ever. They've sold a somewhat astonishing 390 000 000 records (makes the likes of Jacko seem pretty small [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) and, believe it or not, had a great influence on the Pop music to come.

Sure, their "artistic" accomplishments may pale when compared to the Stones and the Beatles, but I have to say they crafted some ingenius original melodies and were quite diverse and experimental.

With that said, personally I think Oasis is the greatest band ever. Don't care that they're one of the most derivative and unoriginal bands of all times. What's the Story Morning Glory and Definitely Maybe are still the two best albums I've ever heard, and Liam Gallagher is the best Rock'n'roll singer of all times.

[ 06-04-2003, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]
Old 06-04-2003, 06:20 PM   #54
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Anyone like the Monkees? When I was little, I liked some of those.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Well you've got to really, haven't you

I used to fancy Davy Jones something rotten when I was a kid

[/QUOTE]My cousin married his niece, I met him at the wedding, but I'm not one to name drop. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'll tell him you fancy him next time I see him Laura [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2003, 07:08 PM   #55
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by antryg:
For longeivty and hits Niel Young has had both continuoslly since the late 60's and never has had to have a comeback since he never went away. Another contender would be the Moody Blues, but they have had some lineup changes.
Or technically speaking in terms of longevity and hits, there's always Michael Jackson, for that matter (including his contributions to the Jackson 5, of course ). Or David Bowie. And wasn't it Cliff Richard who scored hits in six (!) decades? Even though we're mostly just talking about his successes the UK, now...

But I suppose taking "hits" and "longevity" as a criterium is a bit on the vague side just the same... Neil Young hasn't had a single top 40 hit in my country since 1978, for instance. Same with The Moody Blues. Does that automatically disqualify them from a similar "greatness" poll if it was held in my country? Of course not. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I think quality and influence should define a band's greatness, not the amount of dollars they have earned or the number of hits they've had. Nor should longevity be overestimated; The Velvet Underground existed only for 9 years, but they have had more influence in that period (what am I saying - they had more influence with only one record!) than most bands had in several decades of activity or ever will have. And The Velvet Underground never had a single hit song, either.

But in the end, it's all relative and mostly a matter of personal preference, anyways. Most "scenes" nowadays and generations in general have their own heroes, their own biggest influences, different musical experiences and perspectives (to give an example, half of the current indie movement has more or less built a shrine in The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds' honour; and someone talking from a punk or metal perspective will have his/her own thoughts about who were truely the greatest just the same ).

[ 06-04-2003, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 06-04-2003, 07:14 PM   #56
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

You also have to give credit to King Crimson for the amazing debut album. By the time of it´s release, it simply blew everyone away. To me, the album remarked that the sixties were over, and progressive and metal were on their way to the music scene.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:04 PM   #57
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

I would have to agree with everything said about the Beatles and also throw in these figures -

Elvis Presley has sold around 1 Billion albums world wide.

Michael Jackson - Thriller...

The Doors - apparently the only artist to have their entire catalogue never out of production.
(Take into account their 6 studio albums compared to someone like Nina Simone or Duke Ellington with somewhere around 60? - but still, it's a feat.)
Old 06-05-2003, 05:28 AM   #58
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by NiceWorg:
You also have to give credit to King Crimson for the amazing debut album. By the time of it´s release, it simply blew everyone away. To me, the album remarked that the sixties were over, and progressive and metal were on their way to the music scene.
I think so King Crimson were amazing [img]smile.gif[/img] but does anyone remember Devo? now that was a supergroup heheh

[ 06-05-2003, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: Madman-Rogovich ]
Old 06-05-2003, 05:58 AM   #59
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Rush
Old 06-05-2003, 08:22 AM   #60
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Originally posted by wellard:

The Stones have just toured Australia and are currantly touring the world and Paul Mcartney has just finished a world tour, don't know what happened to the rest of the band though.
Erm... Do we really need to tell you what happened to the rest of the band? Drummer Ringo Starr is still messing around in the music Industry, occasionally releasing a new record and every now and then touring with his Ringo Starr All Star Band; George Harrison died of brain cancer in January 2002; and, well, I doubt I should to spell out what happened to John Lennon, because you most likely know what happened to him. [/QUOTE] no i never knew and here is me waiting for the reunion tour. C'mon do I really need a wink in that post

As much as Areosmith rocks, and gave us one of the best rock and roll quotes ever "we proccessed more chemicals than ICI". To even put them in the same paragraph as the Beatles is an insult

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years