Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2001, 02:46 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

It's incredible how people lately have felt that it's open season on the United States, using the disaster to prove a point about American patriotic attitudes, and percieved 'cockiness'.

Bin Laden did not blow up the WTC because Americans are 'cocky'. If that were the reason, the Arc D'triomphe, Buckingham palace, and Zoo station all should have been attacked.

Anyhow, we have an international board. Part of communicating with others from different nations involves BITING YOUR TONGUE about percieved character trait flaws from other nations. Otherwise we could have this scenario:

The British are xenophobic, stuffy, emotionally repressive, disunified and poor at sports. They all hate the French, Germans and all of Europe - thus travelling to America quicker than they would the continent - and cling to past glories because the present so drearily mirrors their climate. Miserable and sunless.

The Germans are repressive about everything. They're unfriendly control freaks with chips on their shoulders and an overly cautious attitude that borders on self-blame paranoia. I wish they'd lighten up and smile in the streets a little during winter.

Canadians possess an envious 'little brother' mentality regarding the USA, as do New Zealanders with Australia. However the Canadians have whiney seccessionistic French in their country and must pander to the spoilt brat tantrums Quebeqois throw every time a non Froncophile is running the country.

Australians are hard arsed cynical bastards with an obsession with the "Tyrrany of distance" and ridiculous level of belief that their landscapes are the greatest anywhere. Well, they're right about that so it makes it worse. Sport is God there and a sensative artist will be skinned alive to the chants of 'Aussie Aussie Aussie, oi oi oi."

I'll stop there. You get my point. I denigrated my own country to highlight I do not believe the said generalisations. I am trying to point out that we can all make generalisations about every race, nation, religious group and economic class.

We are individuals though, many, if not most of whom break stereotypical moulds.

CONSIDERATION, respect and a biting of ones tounge are necessary when dealing with those from other nations. The odds are they know more about themselves than an outsider.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 10-20-2001).]
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 02:54 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

You forgot the danish.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 02:58 PM   #3
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
It's incredible how people lately have felt that it's open season on the United States, using the disaster to prove a point about American patriotic attitudes, and percieved 'cockiness'.

Bin Laden did not blow up the WTC because Americans are 'cocky'. If that were the reason, the Arc D'triomphe, Buckingham palace, and Zoo station all should have been attacked.

Anyhow, we have an international board. Part of communicating with others from different nations involves BITING YOUR TONGUE about percieved character trait flaws from other nations. Otherwise we could have this scenario:

Canadians possess an envious 'little brother' mentality regarding the USA. However the Canadians have whiney seccessionistic French in their country and must pander to the spoilt brat tantrums Quebeqois throw every time a non Froncophile is running the country.
."

We are individuals though, many, if not most of whom break stereotypical moulds.

CONSIDERATION, respect and a biting of ones tounge are necessary when dealing with those from other nations. The odds are they know more about themselves than an outsider.

Point taken Yorick. To some extent, you're right about the Canadians. Now, I didn't start the other tread to explain to Americans why it happened but ratter to show to Americans why they are labelled badly around the world.

It's not a question of being pro or anti American. Anyway, since I don't want to engage in a screaming match, I'll leave it at this.

Anyway, I will echoe you're call that this did not happened solely (IMO) because of an USA cockiness attitude. Many more factors where at stakes.

There's no questions that One knows himself better than an outsiders. However, only outsiders know how that One is percieved by others.

------------------
I'm the Wanderer without a clan... I bring justice without favorism. Though you may not agree with it, my judgement is final... and inconsequential
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 03:01 PM   #4
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
You forgot the danish.
The Danish are irrelevant, nicotine addicted, typically coldly staid Nortern Europeans. Except in matters homosexual where they have lead the way in allowing male-male marriages.

All they contribute to the world is Lego. That's it. They can shove their lego up their ex-Viking bottoms, and maybe in the process give Greenland back to the Eskimos and stop the Faero Islanders eating whale.

Notice how Angles, Jutes, and Danes all left the country en masse? What does that say about the place....

------------------

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 10-20-2001).]
Old 10-20-2001, 03:05 PM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanamur:
To some extent, you're right about the Canadians.
Of course That's why I said it. You can say it bro. The question is whether you should.

America is an easy target. The culture is everywhere and even Americans criticise other Americans.

Just go easy! They all know what anti-Americanism is. It doesn't need to be said.

------------------
Old 10-20-2001, 03:28 PM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Neb?

------------------
Old 10-20-2001, 03:30 PM   #7
Neb

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Neb?

Yes?

Old 10-20-2001, 03:32 PM   #8
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I agree Yorick. I have seen things posted lately wherein certain members seem to be in a huff about people saying "America is the greatest" or "GOD Bless America", etc. All I know, is when is say I love America, it is not because I think we are better than other countries, it means what it means, I love America. To get upset at these statements is the equivalent of hearing a person say "I love my mom, my mom is the best"! and thinking "What about my mom? Does that mean you are insulting my mom!??" sheesh. I use the word "mom" because that is the way it is like, my country is like family. Does not mean I love ONLY my family, and care nothing for other families. I happen to love all humans no matter where they live. One thing I do not love is terrorists, who are the ones trying to destroy, denegrate and take away all that my family stands for, so that is where my "patriotism" comes from. It says "You have not succeeded in weakening me, or my country" and that IS ALL.

On that note, once again, GOD Bless America, and if that makes someone mad, sorry, stuff it in yer bag and blow on it or something.

------------------
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 03:39 PM   #9
Neb

I like America.
Old 10-20-2001, 03:39 PM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
To get upset at these statements is the equivalent of hearing a person say "I love my mom, my mom is the best"! and thinking "What about my mom? Does that mean you are insulting my mom!??"
GREAT analogy Wendy. So true.

------------------