Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2002, 09:49 AM   #1
gbear00116
Welcomed New User

Is there any reason not to just kill them after I speak with them? I mean I'm going after the breaders. Won't they just get angry with me after that anyway?
gbear00116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 10:09 AM   #2
nekoshippo
Dungeon Master

You must not kill Don Barlone untill You buy Astral Dominae from him.
nekoshippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 10:15 AM   #3
gbear00116
Welcomed New User

Do I have to wait to kill the Breeders till I buy the Astral Dominae from him?
gbear00116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 10:18 AM   #4
sloucho
Elite Waterdeep Guard

NOT MUCH OF A SPOILER, BUT HERE GOES

I don't know about the variations from patch to patch, but Barlone has ALWAYS dropped the AD for me after dying. He drops it after tryign to sell it to me AND after telling me he doesn't have it yet AND even if I attack him before allowing him to say one word to me.

I don't think there's any downside to killing him right out of the gate (though you may want to reload until you get the cane of corpus if you're playing a faerie ninja).
sloucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 10:21 AM   #5
sloucho
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Oh,

And to answer your last question, faction rating for the Rattkin common is kept separate from your rating with the Rattkin Razuka. You can definitely kill the breeders and remain on good terms with Barlone. In fact, I make a point of killing the breeders as quickly as possible because that makes the Rattkin common turn on me, and they drop some decent items for the early game.
sloucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 10:26 AM   #6
nekoshippo
Dungeon Master

I mean You can kill All Rattekin including Breeders except for Don Barlone.To Kill Rattenkins does not change Faction rating to Don Barlone.
nekoshippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 12:19 PM   #7
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Exactly. You can kill the breeders, and any hostile rattkins. Barlone doesn't care. This is strange, but true.

It is the same way later in the Rapax Rift. You can kill all the Rapax Common, and the Templars don't care.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 03:28 PM   #8
The Kiwi
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by sloucho:
(...) I make a point of killing the breeders as quickly as possible because that makes the Rattkin common turn on me, and they drop some decent items for the early game.

The interesting thing about that suggestion is how few Rattkins were still on the sixth bough after the Breeders died. While wandering around that area earlier, there seemed to be more than one patrolling group (one of which contained 5-6 or more individuals). During one of the battles that my party lost against the Breeders, one of the patrol groups walked in and saw us during the early stages, and rather promptly retreated.

After a number of "poor results" fights, I took the advice in a thread here at Ironworks about using Insanity, and it did work very well. But I expected to meet both Rattkin Patrol groups after killing the Breeders. Only one (three individuals) challenged me, and weren't much threat, in spite of having moved out without camping to recharge and heal up.

Then later, when it seemed the best way back to the ground after all was the elevator in the sixth bough, the entire area seemed empty of life. From some things I've been reading, including taking glances at some walkthrough material I know better than to make printouts of (it will be too tempting having it around, I'll read it all, not just the parts I get stuck in!) I am taking the team back to Arnika before the swamp to make sure I got everything there I might need, and to drop off in chests, some more excess inventory that no one seems to want to buy (but seems too valuable to just toss!)

K.

The Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 04:38 PM   #9
jfw
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by The Kiwi:

I am taking the team back to Arnika before the swamp to make sure I got everything there I might need, and to drop off in chests, some more excess inventory that no one seems to want to buy (but seems too valuable to just toss!)

I leave stuff everywhere and it doesn't vanish.
I pilled up arrows and quarrels and stones at the entrance to the swamp, they stay there just fine. I fill up rooms in Arnik, same thing. You don't need chests. I would not try it with the big "game" items though. I also drop single stones in the Tree City at the corners to blaze a trail to the shop from the ground. Anywhere I must turn I drop a stone on the corner I want and they have not been picked up either.
jfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 06:26 PM   #10
The Kiwi
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by jfw:

I leave stuff everywhere and it doesn't vanish. I piled up arrows and quarrels and stones at the entrance to the swamp, they stay there just fine. I fill up rooms in Arnik, same thing. You don't need chests. {...)

Until I've confirmed that, I go by what I'm used to from the many, many other CRPG's I've played. But none of the chests want to hold more than four items anyway! So I left stuff filling up just about every corner of the Jail Office (the lockers in there didn't want to take anything I tried putting in them!)

Meanwhile, I forgot to mention an oddity in the Trynnie Patrol behavior between the fifth and sixth boughs. Several times one, two, or all of a patrol would get "stuck" in the entry to the tree at one end of a suspended walkway, and I'd have to turn around, get off that walkway entirely, and when I'd turn and the other end, I'd see them literally "running" into the tunnel!

The time all four got stuck there, two each were facing away from each other (sideways to the path). They are "moonwalking" in place each time, and it's something to do with interference from/with my party on that walkway. Strange looking!

The K.

The Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote