Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2003, 01:34 PM   #1
Javrix
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok so I just finished reading the tips again, and after reading them I am still confused on something. Why would I want to wait to upgrade my 2 warriors to paladin's and my 3rd warrior to a barbarian? I understand the concept of waiting until all spells are learned for my wizards and priests, but since the warriors don't learn anything as they advice (i don't think they do, please correct me if I am wrong) why would I want to wait until they are level 10 or so to upgrade them? I am just starting a new game and I want to develop all of my characters right. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:38 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The best thing about W&W is there are a number of ways to play, and all of them are right. So don't worry too much about developing your characters "right". Whatever way you develop them will be right. Other options are just different.

Personally, I upgrade my warriors ASAP. They get zero benefit from remaining warriors, so I move 'em to Barbarians first, and then onward. That matches with your thinking, so I like you

Why barbarians and not paladins? Because they get those barbarian HP at the beginning of the game, and not later. HP are assigned by re-rolling your HP when you increase levels. If the reroll is higher than your current HP total, you get a boost to the new total. If the reroll is lower, you get one point. So I'd prefer to get all those HP on a 10th level barbarian so that when he (or she) is a lowly warlock, they won't be killed by a small pack of worgurs.

Now, I have to confess that if you look at Missy's story, around chapter five or so, she never got that fabled HP bonus. I think out of ten levels, she got more than 9 HP perhaps twice. Still, it works in theory
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 04:53 PM   #3
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Each time you advance a level you get the chance to train your character in the guilds. The further you upgrade your character in the character's present role the longer it takes for the character to reach a new level. If you upgrade your warriors to about the level of 9-12 before advancing to a new role you get more advances quickly and you can then - with the help of guild training - boost your character's abilities faster.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:13 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'm not sure where you're going, bsftcs. You get chances to advance when you level up, true; and when you're level one, you level up more quickly than when you're level 10.

So, waiting until you get to level 10 as a warrior and then restarting as a barbarian means by the time you're a level 10 barbarian, you will have had 20 chances to train at the guilds instead of 11? Is that the point?

If that is, I'd still rather switch early, because I'm still going to advance 20 levels by that point in the game, so I will still have had 20 training opportunities. I think it will be happening at the same time, game-wise, and not faster.

Or am I missing something here? Please help me understand, because I think you've got a good point, but I just can't grasp it.
-+-+-+
Old 03-05-2003, 06:35 PM   #5
Javrix
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok I see, thanks for your advice, it all makes sense and that is exactly what I as looking for.

I haven't looked too far into my characters, I was just planning on making 2 of my warriors-paladins and 1 warrior-barbarian.

Thanks again for all of your help. You answered a big question of mine, and that is if warriors gain skills later. Is there a chart or something I can look at and see what skills certain characters get at certain levels (besides spells), or do any characters ever get skills as the advance?

Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:41 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

You're most welcome, Javrix.

If you look at the manual, the description of the different classes tells what basic skills they can acquire (or not, for that matter). For example, it says that wizards are limited to daggers and staves. Once you learn a skill, however, you can continue to increase your level in it. So if your warrior learns sword, he can continue training in it even if he's a warlock later on. He may not be able to equip the sword, but he can train in it.

As for other skills, the Best Tips thread is your best place to go. Any skills and traits that you can pick up later on are described in there, at least if we've found out how to get them.
-+-+-+
Old 03-05-2003, 11:55 PM   #7
Javrix
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ahhh, I see. I totally understand now. Thanks for going into detail and explaining this to me, I really do appreciate it and this will help me play the game. Thanks again!
Old 03-06-2003, 07:49 AM   #8
HammerHead
Zhentarim Guard

If I may add something, I would advise you only to train in swords, daggers and staves.
In my experience, axes and maces are pretty much worthless throughout the game.

C
Old 03-06-2003, 09:21 AM   #9
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
[QB]I'm not sure where you're going, bsftcs.[QB]
I believe that it would take far more time to develop a character to "warrior, level 3/Barbarian, level 20" than to develop a character to warrior, level 11/Barbarian, level 12, since the number of experience point needed for the first type of development is far higher than for the second type.

Of course there are plenty of roles to have one's character advance to, so if one plans on having the character advance through all or most of them, the "guild training" issue will not be a problem at all. If so, please forget all that I have written.

But when I develop my characters I usually keep them in the same "line" of development. Id est: If I have a warrior I usually keep that character in "warrior" roles such as barbarian, ninja, paladin etc. and do not develop the character to a warlock. That way I can focus on developing the character's fighting abilities and not the magic abilities. Ultimately that may become relevant when the number of skills the character can train when advancing levels is so high that the skills start being "pushed out of the screen".

And if that is the way one plans to develop one's character I belive it is more prudent to develop each role to at least 10 before switching so as not to "run out of roles" and to have a sound and steady development of the character through guild training.

[ 03-06-2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 03-06-2003, 11:30 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I see. And I guess I'm not clear about how I'd develop my characters, either. I do tend to have them go through just about every role in the game wherever possible. So my warrior will likely have served as a barbarian, ranger, paladin, ninja, samurai, and warlock, at the very least. He may have been a monk as well, but that depends on my mood [img]smile.gif[/img]

I wouldn't go for Warrior 3/ Barbarian 20 as opposed to Warrior 11/Barbarian 12. What I'd more likely do is W 3/B 12/Ninja 12, and move through the classes. I might stick at Barbarian a little longer in hopes of getting HP, but not all the way to 20.

I do advocate switching advanced roles no earlier than level 10 for the reasons you specify. More levels means more opportunity to advance, which means a more powerful character.

My point is that by the time in the game you're at those 20 total levels, say at the Snake Temple, you may have been a warrior for 3, a barbarian for 13, and a paladin, let's say, for 4. So that's why I don't like to stick in the warrior role for so long -- it delays me from the advantages of the other roles.

And at the end, that's one of the fun things about W&W -- no matter how you play, it's still fun, and it's still right.
-+-+-+