Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2003, 03:15 PM   #1
Mygrayne
Elite Waterdeep Guard

First off, I'd like to say that I love the Ironworks Wizards & Warriors forum. This is the nicest and most helpful bunch of people I've seen on any of the boards.

This is my second time through the game, and I've found answers for most of my questions here. But I've got a few little nagging questions to throw out for consideration.

1 - When the evil toads attack, sometimes they say "Methdu be proud". I've asked Mekdawa and Shinwiki about Methdu, but they're not talking. Does anyone know who (or what) Methdu is?

2 - I would really like to be able to put flags on the actual game countryside instead of just on the maps. I've tried petrifying trolls and using them to mark certain spots, but they disappear just like dropped treasure. The best I've been able to come up with is moving the treasure chests out of the forest and onto the road. Has anyone else got any better ideas?

3 - Is your chance of getting a good hit affected by what part of the anatomy you target, or is it just random? It seems that I get better hits when I try to hit the shoulder area, but I can't tell if it's just coincidence or not. Any ideas on this one?
Old 02-23-2003, 04:18 PM   #2
WillowIX
Apophis

Welcome to the board Mygrayne. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

1) I have absolutely no idea. My guess is some kind of god.

2) I walways use the flag myself. I find them an easy way to mark out specific locations. They might not be very effective on the small map but on the large map they work great.

3) AFAIK it´s random in the sense that it depends on the roll of the dice. Of course there could be some modifications depending on area. Radek is sure to have an answer for you on this one. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2003, 08:04 PM   #3
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Hello, Mygrayne. Nice to have you posting. I am afraid I cannot be of much help either when it comes to your questions. So far as I can see the treasure chests are the only things that you can use (without having to drop quest items).
Old 02-23-2003, 09:38 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, Mygrayne. May life in the Gael Serran provide you the excitement you seek.

I'll jump on the bandwagon with the others. I'm not sure who Methdu is (perhaps a character who was removed pre-release).

I will mention that since quest items don't disappear, using them as markers is not such a bad idea. I've left the bauble stick behind, and it stayed around for a long, long time... to the end of the game and beyond, I think. Once you're done with a quest item (bauble stick, algamesh's amulet, rat skull, many of the keys), you could leave them as visible markers. But I'm with Willow -- I use the flags on the automap to tell me what's what and where's where. My code: Green = directional (this way to exit), blue = reminder (chest left here), and red = character (Torin stays here). Whatever plan you have works...

As for your target making a difference, I'm sure Radek will be along with his input. That man has studied so many things about this game that it makes my head spin... in two directions at the same time! I personally haven't noticed a real difference in hit rates from clicking on different areas.

Keep us posted on your adventures!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 05:21 AM   #5
Radek
Red Dragon

I haven't noticed any differences in targeting special locations on the enemy. Neither I've seen any difference between attacking from forward and from behind.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:33 AM   #6
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

hey!

Well, I'm not sure about the targetting location, but when someone tries to run away from you and they show you their back, you generally always hit (sort of a backstab thing I guess) but this only happens with trolls ocassionally, with THAT EVIL PIG EATING GREEN CLAD DEMONIC MIDGET HARPY WHO SUSTAINS HIMSELF ON OTHER PEOPLES SUFFERING (aka the leprechaun) being the only exception.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:25 AM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Mygrayne!!!

Nice to have you posting after seeing you browsing for so long! And many thanks for the compliments for our nice, helpful forum/posters! I think we have all had bad experiences on other forums at one point or another which is why we try extra hard here to make our forum friendly! SO much better that way!!

I think Methdu is a god or possibly a Toad warrior/leader that got dropped from the finished game.

The only place I found in the game where I really would have liked to put out markers was in the Stout Mines! I found that place confusing at times. What I ended up doing there was using tons of flags on the automap (which is awful but better than nothing). I had flags marked with things like "go right next tunnel" etc. especially when the automap was going to switch from one to another. Would have been so nice to have been able to scroll back to the previous area or next area as needed. In what sort of areas are you wanting to put markers? I know I've been playing CRPGs for ages so maybe I've just gotten really good at remembering the countryside (I'm sure I could probably do a run through the first Wizardry game dungeons without thinking twice! lol!).

I never noticed an difference in where you target the enemy. I don't think specific locations on the target's bodies are actually separate. I always thought you had the whole monster in your target or not so it shouldn't matter where your cursor happens to be.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote