Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2002, 03:12 PM   #1
Cerberus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've been away from CRPGs for quite a while but recently rediscovered Wizardry 7, which led to Wizards and Warriors followed by Wizardry 8. I'll finish those up in a couple of weeks though and so I'm wondering - what should I try next?

I'd like to find a single-player game with the character development aspects of these games, as well as a chunk of questing and puzzle solving, all backed up by a healthy dose of out and out combat mayhem! Baldur's Gate I or II and/or Icewind Dale are the games I'm leaning towards at the moment but the tech/magic mix in Arcanum looks like fun as well. Diablo left me unsatisfied because of what I felt was a lack of interaction with my character and I'm not into the MMPOGs like EverQuest and Ultima Online.

So what suggestions do the Sages of the Boards have for me?

Thanks for sharing your Wisdom, sages!

- Cerberus
Old 03-29-2002, 04:13 PM   #2
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I think we need more info to suit your needs ... are you looking to get a One person vs World game or are you looking for only you controlling a party...Arcanum is fun, but I did ALL the quests (as is my nature) and it made the game almost too easy at the end. I got to bad-a$$ to quick. ALOT of people like the BGs and BGIIs and other like IWDs. Basically the same with small differences (like available spells, spell actions, plot, etc) - my advise - buy BGI. You can probably get it with Tales of the Sword Coast VERY cheap right now. If you like it, pick up BGII - then Throne of Bhaal, then the IWD and it's expansion.

BUT if for some reason you don't like BGI, you'll be out 10 bucks and can find a different game to try.

Good luck. And either way, make sure you hang out and tell us of your adventure in this section and it's corresponding forum.

Later

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 03-29-2002, 04:40 PM   #3
jtqbe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

There are piles of good CRPGs out there these days, and many pretty cheap. I've been playing BG for a while and it's pretty fun; if you want some good nonlinear AD&D goodness, it's worth a try. Plus you can carry your character through BG2. . .

What's surprised me is IWD--I picked it up for $10 at Target, but figured that I wouldn't like it as much because it's more linear and less story-oriented. But IWD brings back lots of memories of the old hack-n-slash days of PnP AD&D gaming. It's more combat-oriented than BG, but it's still AD&D and it's more fun than the Diablos, I think.

And the classic recommendations are Planescape: Torment and the Fallouts (each $10 in "dual-jewel" format).

Those would keep you busy for a while. How did you like W&W? I bought it last year but haven't tried it yet.
Old 03-29-2002, 05:11 PM   #4
fable
Quintesson

Black Knight I think has the right of it. Give us more info about what you prefer, and we'll help out. Can you tell us what you most want out of a CRPG? If tech vs magic, yes, Arcanum is great, but the interface is a mess, in case you want a good, clean, easy-to-use interface; Morrowind looks like it might be fantastic, but its one character only, and combat is realtime. BG2 and PS:T are the best for party depth I've ever played, but each has its failings.
Old 03-29-2002, 05:18 PM   #5
Encard
Quintesson

Hmm... the BG/IWD games are great... NWN is coming out in summer... hmm... you might want to take a look at Morrowind too... hmm... not sure about Arcanum... *shrug*
Old 03-30-2002, 04:04 PM   #6
Cerberus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the input folks!

As far as my preferences go, I like the party aspect better than One vs World. I think it alows for a brosder range of play and more roleplaying opportunities. I've read that in BG you start out as a predefined character, which does not suit me very well. What I've read about IWD says you create the whole party, including backgrounds, and their makeup is entirely by personal preference, ie if I want to run 2 fighters, a ranger, a bard, a priest and a mage I can do that, or I could try a 4 char party or some other combo of professions. I guess that is one of the things about Wiz8.

So, is that a fair representation of BG vd IWD?

- Cerberus
Old 04-01-2002, 01:04 PM   #7
jtqbe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

In IWD you create a full party, up to 6 characters, whatever races/classes/alignments/etc you wish. That can also be a drawback if you want to hurry up and play. From what I've read, the game should be winnable with a wide range of character mixes.

In BG you create one character, but you can gather other NPCs along the way. Some of them are pretty fun and entertaining--if you play, don't miss a chance to take along Xzar. He has some pretty good lines. You exercise some measure of control over the NPCs, though, so it isn't really one against the world.

IWD's story is much more focused than BG's, I think, though it still doesn't club you over the head with the story like Diablo II. It's like playing a computer version of an old AD&D module. Both IWD and BG are worth playing, I think.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:25 PM   #8
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

i would suggest that next you learn to play the guitar. . . . . .
Old 04-01-2002, 06:35 PM   #9
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerberus:
Thanks for the input folks!

As far as my preferences go, I like the party aspect better than One vs World. I think it alows for a brosder range of play and more roleplaying opportunities. I've read that in BG you start out as a predefined character, which does not suit me very well. What I've read about IWD says you create the whole party, including backgrounds, and their makeup is entirely by personal preference, ie if I want to run 2 fighters, a ranger, a bard, a priest and a mage I can do that, or I could try a 4 char party or some other combo of professions. I guess that is one of the things about Wiz8.

So, is that a fair representation of BG vd IWD?

- Cerberus
In IWD, you can have your set interpretation of what a "perfect" party is, and go with it. In BG series, you make up what your ideal PC is, then you meet different people allow the way that help you with your journeys. I miss the interaction with the other people in my party, sometimes. Sometimes their little whining made me want to watch them take on a Ancient Red Dragon and forget to have the rest of the party help...by I digress...If you are looking for a straightforward hack and slash adventure, go with IWD series. If you are looking for Roleplaying and Adventure and Character Interaction, look to BG series.

I have to say that I do give the edge to BG IMHO but that is just me. I'm currently going through IWD (just got Heart of Winter and looking forward to IWD II in may) and having a ball with it, so you really can't miss out with either.

It's like trying to tell if one sunrise is prettier than another....

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Hopefully this helps you out...

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 04-01-2002, 07:41 PM   #10
Pangur Ban

My suggestion ..

You could try some of the Might and Magic series ..

Interesting stories, party orientated, and plenty of subquests. I have seen a triple gamepack containing Might and Magic 6, 7, and 8 for $A25 - extra good value considering I paid around $A80 for *each* game when they first released !!

Pang.