Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2003, 08:01 AM   #11
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
We've obviously got you worried genieboy. I'm gussing that you've realised that the Wallabies can't cut the mustard and you've joined the ABE brigade!

The "all bash England" brigade are just waiting in the wings for your excitement to subside into the usual tears [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 10-31-2003, 08:06 AM   #12
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
quote:
We've obviously got you worried genieboy. I'm gussing that you've realised that the Wallabies can't cut the mustard and you've joined the ABE brigade!

The "all bash England" brigade are just waiting in the wings for your excitement to subside into the usual tears [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Nice try wellard. ABE actually means "Anyone But England"

BTW - bookmakers give Ireland a 20.5 point lead for the Australia match, that can't be right. I expect a close match.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 10-31-2003, 09:03 AM   #13
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
ROTFL! It wasn't deliberate, I thought I had called them giants of British sports jouralism. BTW - we beat the Saffies by 19 points - you did notice that didn't you?

Comment on the "Is that all you've got" piece please!
Hahaha - caught you in a "partial quote there didn't I .

I hasten to point out that I do not subscribe to the anyone but England brigade and I am happy that the best team will in all probability win on the day. Mind you, I am hoping that is not England but I am hoping that is not the Brawl Thwacks either . I would certainly smile if some prophetic roosters managed to s**t all over some roses .

As to England not offering much, well I agree with certain points there and I will give you my honest assessment of the game.

Their flyhalf missed countless shots and you got one charge down try also from their useless fly half. Wilko may have got the game ball, but Luis Koen (sp) was your best player on the night. I thought the Englsh backs were starved of opportunity, and the continuous bash it up one pass out stuff got eaten up by some fairly resolute defence on the Saffies part. You defended well but I thought the Saffies never really tried to throw the ball and stretch you till the last 10 mins if the game when it was way to late. My assessment was methodical - it showed enough to win without too many troubles, but it didn't show much.

So there you go - scoff if you think I am a ramapant biased Aussie without a sensible thought in his head. I will still stand you a drink or 4 in the pub in a couple of weeks time and we can have a good laugh about the final result [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Go the Wallabies and Vive la Roosters [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2003, 09:17 AM   #14
wellard
Dracolisk

If it stops at four Davros than i'm a Dutchman [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

And as for the Ireland v Australia match i'm tempted to put money on Ireland to be within 15 of Australia ..... which way though??? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 10-31-2003, 09:28 AM   #15
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

Join the ABE brigade? [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] I've always been a member of the ABE brigade! [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]

To be fair, England have had a major effect on the world of rugby this year - in addition to winning Down Under for the first time ever, they've also created new jargon in the rugby vernacular! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] In case you haven't heard these yet (our press does such a poor job of communicating things to you guys ) here are some:

doing an England - general term for team tactic of slowing the ball down at the breakdown (legally and illegally)

doing it Dayglo style - making a calculated decision to not release the tackled player so that he can't release the ball quickly

doing a Backy - sneakily putting your hand on the ball in the ruck to stop it coming out quickly

the Luger edge - the art of playing 16-man rugby

And the fifth:

doing an Ali - good old fashioned rucking to free up the ball at the breakdown

Here's how you would use them in a sentence:

"...as Roff burst into the clear, he was ankle tapped in a desperate tackle and the cover arrived, the tacklers tried to wrap him up Dayglo-style but the support arrived, in the form of Vickerman and Waugh, and did an Ali at the back of the ruck, shredding the hands of anyone trying to do a Backy and opening up the back of the ruck quick-smart for Gregan to arrive and fire the ball out to his backs, thus launching another sweeping Australian backline move, with Rogers slicing through and putting Wendell away, through the brittle England defence, despite the advantage of the Luger edge ".

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2003, 09:31 AM   #16
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Well I don't have much of a head for cider apparently Wellard .

OK, I'll get me coat .
Old 10-31-2003, 11:06 AM   #17
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

"...as Roff burst into the clear, he was ankle tapped in a desperate tackle and the cover arrived, the tacklers tried to wrap him up Dayglo-style but the support arrived, in the form of Vickerman and Waugh, and did an Ali at the back of the ruck, shredding the hands of anyone trying to do a Backy and opening up the back of the ruck quick-smart for Gregan to arrive and fire the ball out to his backs, thus launching another sweeping Australian backline move, with Rogers slicing through and putting Wendell away, through the brittle England defence, despite the advantage of the Luger edge ".

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sorry mate - didn't anyone ever tell you it's the victors that get to write history!

Chariot turned steamroller

The sweet chariot of English rugby may have swung low last week to claim the scalp of the All Blacks but it looked more like a steamroller than a chariot as it crushed the Wallabies in Melbourne.

It was sweet indeed for the English supporters to watch their team finally teach the colonials a thing or two about the game which they invented.

The spirit of William Webb Ellis was very much alive as the English picked up the ball and ran with it and most importantly kept possession for long periods, shutting the Wallabies out of the game.

It was their first win on Australian soil.

More importantly it was enough to put the wind up the Australians who are hosting the World Cup in three months.

The question for the Wallabies must be “is that enough time?”

England has had consistency of selection, consistency of performance and must be rated ahead of Australia on any World Cup market.

Eddie Jones and his team have been saying for a long time that there is a lot of work to be done and England highlighted just how much is needed.

If the England performance wasn’t impressive enough, there was another game with ramifications for the Wallabies’ World Cup campaign

Written by one of your own! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 10-31-2003, 11:38 AM   #18
Donut
Jack Burton

I've got a few new words in the vocab as well:

Being a Burke - A Burke is using a decoy runner to deliberately obstruct the opposion, thereby gaining an unfair advantage for the ball carrier.

The Aussie Backpack - Aussie backpacking involves the rapid retreat of a scrum as your stronger opponents drive you back 60 metres.

Being Matt Rogered - no it's not what you think. Performing a Matt Roger involves a perfect shoulder tackle driving your opponent upwards and backwards, leaving him flat out on the floor wondering what planet he's on.

Tuning up - involves covering up for a player who has failed a drug test. Be very careful with this one though. It could come back to bite you in future years.

Joneseing You Jones the referees by constantly carping on about perceived infringements that your opponents may or may not commit when playing you. The beauty of the Jonesy technique is that you can use it even if you are not going to paly against your targets. The Jonesy is best used in multiple small scale whinges. The cumulative effect will eventually work on the referees.

[img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

[ 10-31-2003, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
Old 10-31-2003, 11:41 AM   #19
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Well I don't have much of a head for cider apparently Wellard .

OK, I'll get me coat .
Bad news on the cider front Davros. My local has switched from Dry Blackthorn to the much sweeter Strongbow - so I've switched to Stella Artois. (It's doing my brain in!!)
Old 10-31-2003, 12:09 PM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I've got a few new words in the vocab as well:

Being a Burke - A Burke is using a decoy runner to deliberately obstruct the opposion, thereby gaining an unfair advantage for the ball carrier.

The Aussie Backpack - Aussie backpacking involves the rapid retreat of a scrum as your stronger opponents drive you back 60 metres.

Being Matt Rogered - no it's not what you think. Performing a Matt Roger involves a perfect shoulder tackle driving your opponent upwards and backwards, leaving him flat out on the floor wondering what planet he's on.

Tuning up - involves covering up for a player who has failed a drug test. Be very careful with this one though. It could come back to bite you in future years.

Joneseing You Jones the referees by constantly carping on about perceived infringements that your opponents may or may not commit when playing you. The beauty of the Jonesy technique is that you can use it even if you are not going to paly against your targets. The Jonesy is best used in multiple small scale whinges. The cumulative effect will eventually work on the referees.

[img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Bet you can't use 'em all in a sentence like I did!!!!