Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2002, 02:41 AM   #41
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Leonis I think you've hit the nail right on the head. Self-determination does gather its own momentum once the will is applied. And you can't dwell on things when there's no time to do so. The trick is getting yourself up and out of the self-destructive rut in order to get the ball rolling.

Hunter- While your answer does seem a little callous I can see where you're coming from. I myself am not contemplating suicide (although by my posts I can see how you got that impression). It's merely that there have been so many suicides in recent years concerning people I know that I've ended up getting rather morbidly disheartened concerning the subject.
I also feel that in order to destigmatize the nature of depression it's helpful for people to talk about things that they feel down about when they might otherwise bottle it up. As it stands there is a large 'weakness' label attached to this sort of thing in Anglo-Western society, particularly in relation to scientifically identifying the causes of long-term depression. It helps to get things out in the open.
Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

[ 06-14-2002, 02:45 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 06-14-2002, 03:43 AM   #42
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
So, when you folks are feeling suicidal how due you manage to get yourself up on your feet again? And if you don't get 'up on your feet again' how would you, y'know, do it?
I hope you're not serious about this, mate - the Highlanders didn't go too badly this year, did they?

Seriously, I always look at life as a gift - there are good points and bad points, but it's one long journey. Funny things can happen on the way, but nothing is ever worth taking your own life - that's giving up in my opinion. Braver to take what life gives you and work towards making it better (I know this can be easier said than done, but it all starts with attitude).

Take care, mate. [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: I posted just before you posted your reply, Hierophant - now I know there's nothing to worry about. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-14-2002, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 06-14-2002, 05:56 AM   #43
Epona
Zartan

I've never felt suicidal, not ever.

Sure, I've gone through times when I felt sad or stressed, but I know that there's always something good waiting around the corner. I have a very positive outlook on life (which some people find intensely irritating) and nothing gets me down for long. Every experience we have, good or bad, makes us into the people we are.

I have lived with someone who was suffering from clinical depression. It was extremely difficult to deal with, I just simply cannot understand it, or understand what it feels like.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:11 AM   #44
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
As far as I am concerned , while suicide isnt for me, I dont feel I should have to talk someone else out of it. If you are gonna do yourself in then dont just talk about it , DO IT !! If you want to die then I will lend you my pistol. Just be sure not to miss because I am only giving you 1 bullet. Crys for attention just irritate me.If mommy doesnt pay enough attention to you or Jimmy the football star wont date you , too bad , get over it!! Life is rarely fair. If you are weak enough to want to kill yourself because of some minor problem in your life then by all means , go for it. Before people tell me that some problems arent minor , let me explain. Unless you have very terminal cancer, the ebola virus, some odd uncureable flesh eating disease, or some other kind of illness that is horribly painfull and will eventualy kill you , then your problems are minor. Breaking up with someone , getting fired, loseing your car or house, or having an unplanned pregnancy dont realy mean squat in the grand scheme of things. If you arent up to the challenge of life then maybe you should just fade away and make room for the rest of us who are. On the plus side if you kill yourself you get to choose how you go. No more leaving it up to fate and wondering if you will get hit by a bus or have a heart attack in your sleep. Just incase you were wondering if I see you out on a window ledge on some high rise I will be the guy yelling "JUMP ya big sissy!!". It isnt that I dont care about people , I just choose to care about the ones that matter.
And just how many people do you know that have committed suicide?

This is possibly the worst post I've read regarding this.

Why not just kick them in the head while you're at it?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 06-14-2002, 11:31 AM   #45
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hewh, oddly enough when I'm feeling that way I listen to depressing music, well, that's much of the type I listen to anyway, but I dunno, maybe it goes by the saying "misery loves company." [img]smile.gif[/img]
Thing is, anytime I do feel like that, I realise what it would do to those around me, I don't know what would happen were I alone, but to me killing myself when it would hurt people I love would seem unbelivably selfish to me.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:26 PM   #46
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
Well I still have a scar on my wrist after a nasty breakup and lots of beer, it was 4 years ago...
Supposedly cutting your wrist isn't the best of ways to go about it. From what I hear most people that try that just end up with a scar.[/QUOTE]You can't imagine how I felt when I woke up on a bloody pillow and saw the cut... I guess I was too drunk to cut deep enough, thank God.

But if you are feeling suicidal just take a look around you and then decide if you REALLY want to leave it all behind... and also think of how the people around you would feel
Old 06-14-2002, 12:35 PM   #47
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Yorick, i was gonna say that but you beat me to it, good reply, can't wait for the answer.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:51 PM   #48
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:
Hewh, oddly enough when I'm feeling that way I listen to depressing music, well, that's much of the type I listen to anyway, but I dunno, maybe it goes by the saying "misery loves company." [img]smile.gif[/img]
Thing is, anytime I do feel like that, I realise what it would do to those around me, I don't know what would happen were I alone, but to me killing myself when it would hurt people I love would seem unbelivably selfish to me.
Yeh, butb we're not talking suicidal tendencies there I shouldn't think - just feeling depressed. It usually helps me to find someone to whinge to

Old 06-14-2002, 01:50 PM   #49
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Marsha Norman wrote a play back in 1983 called "'Night, Mother" about an epileptic girl planning to commit suicide and her mother's attempts to stop her from doing so. The young woman, Jessie (played by Sissy Spacek in the film version in 1989) tries to explain to her mom at a couple of key points just why is she trying to kill herself:

"Mama, I know you used to ride the bus. Riding the bus and it's hot and bumpy and crowded and too noisy, and more than anything in the world you want to get off, and the only reason in the world you don't get off is it's still fifty blocks from where you're going? Well, I can get off right now if I want to, because even if I ride fifty more years and get off then, it's the same place when I step down to it. Whenever I feel like it, I can get off. As soon as I've had enough, it's my stop.

I've had enough."

And then a little later on in the play, when her mom is begging, pleading to know what it is she could have done to change things for Jessie:

"No. You can't. And I can't do anything either, about my life, to change it, make it better, make me feel better about it. Like it better, make it work. But I can stop it. Turn it down, turn it off like the radio when there's nothing on I want to listen to. It's all I really have that belongs to me and I'm going to say what happens to it. And it's going to stop. And I'm going to stop it."

The point is that Jessie feels that the only thing she has control over in her life is its termination. Many suicides may feel the same way; that their lives are so out of control that the only thing that they have power over is to end their life.

I cannot say one way or another. I know suicide is not the path for me, but neither can I condemn it in another. I do not believe people are weak for committing suicide. All I know is that it the most personal decision anyone can make, and I can only pray that they will have the ability to choose the right decision for themselves. I always believe that to live is the stronger alternative, but I know my reality is not the same as others'.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 06-14-2002, 02:38 PM   #50
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
Yeh, butb we're not talking suicidal tendencies there I shouldn't think - just feeling depressed. It usually helps me to find someone to whinge to
Well, most of the time I'm just depressed, but the same about listenign to depressing music still holds true with suicidal ideas. [img]smile.gif[/img]