Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2005, 07:41 AM   #1
Phantasm900
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Don't know if its me or I am just unlucky, but having now decided to try the game using Flame's mod 4, I cant get anywhere as monsters are just way too powerful. I tried to repeat my solo game, but that was a no hoper, now trying wth 2 in party, but thats hopeless too. I cant even explore the lower monastery. Is the mod really only for parties of 6? Has anyone completed the mod4 game with less than 6? I keep getting 93 point slimes in groups or screenfuls of seekers and my party are only about level 5. Switching to novice appears to make little or no difference. I have a Samurai and a Ninja as my starting pair. Even with a spell caster I would have no hope.

Comments appreciated. Thanks!!
Phantasm900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

you gotta have a lot more luck with smaller parties in Mod 4, and pretty much HAVE to go for Stealth for everyone. I had a rather hard time with a Trio of Rogue, Bard, Gad, and they're the ones that get the much better stuff earliest in the mod...although the crowd of Seekers helped nicely with the Stealth training, the rest was a BIG pain. The worst thing is you can't run a way much at all, because they keep respawning...
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:02 PM   #3
babar
Manshoon

I was going to try that deal where you leave your characters overnight to build stealth and other skills. Within 15 minutes on Mod4 with a solo lvl 1 dwarf monk i get clobbered by a bunch of venom crabs (and maybe some hard shells too).

Then I tried again except I used the Mad God editor to give him some munchking stuff like regen items and such and imported him to get 5 lvls. I think he got pasted by a huge group of lvl 8 creatures. It did not take long.
babar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:24 AM   #4
bladedog
Dungeon Master

I hope I have more luck then.

I just ascended using the mod and a full party of 6, so I figured I'd try a party of 4.

Got a LOR (want those goodies in the temple), ROG (never used one before + lots of goodies early on), BIS (never had any luck with them before), and RAN (for alchemy, searching and ranged support).

Made it to level 5 and just about to exit the monastry. Hardest fight was really early on with the slime in its own room on the lower monastry. Ran in to jump it and suddenly 8 roaches joined in. Got surrounded and that was touch and go. Gregor was easy 'cos he got caught just around a corner and never even tried to fight back. I'll try the road tonight.
bladedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:30 AM   #5
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

For me it seems that the game is much easier now. Started the game with Flames Mod only twice (Expert) and I'm currently finishing Marten's Bluff.

I never had a dead character up to now. They are Level 13 and I found many extremely good weapons for my party. My last try on expert was much more difficult.

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]

[ 03-23-2005, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Loudhy ]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:41 AM   #6
babar
Manshoon

I thought/think it's easier, too, at least with a full party, which is why wanted to try a solo. I still have an unfinished mod 2 game, pretty much just crushing everything. The only challenge was a large group of psi sharks and squid, but that was before I went to Bela and got some crazy armor. I even managed to easily keep Ferro alive (2nd try) against about 30 rapax. I would have succeeed the first time but he decide to run off again and fell unconscious (I think his superman wore off) before I could get to him.
babar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:25 AM   #7
bladedog
Dungeon Master

OK well I decided I agree with you totally!!!!

Stayed at 5th level, walked out of the Monastry into a group of 9 venom crabs. My LOR is rubbish, 99% misses and when he hits only does 1-3 damage. The ROG/RAN did all the work but everyone got poisoned at least once.

Survived that and easily survived the brigands etc. Was feeling pretty good. Gave the ROG the Falcion and he was backstabbing for 30+ each round on the two wasps that arrived next.

Then I ran into a Sige and 5 Piercer Modai!!! 5 monsters with 100+ hits and a mage casting terror/sleep etc when I have no magic screen yet. There are no decent crevices anywhere near there, I restored five times trying different tactics but the just murdered me each time.

So I restored again and decided to go back to the Monastry to build up a few levels and try again. Round the corner I run into 9 venom crabs and 6 hardshells!! Not a hope in hell.

So this group are stuck now. I deleted all the saves back to the Monastry and guess I'll build them up a few levels before I try again.

But in the meantime I have gone for a new 6 party with a variety of races and classes (no Lord, took two FIG instead) and they are cruising.

One thing I noticed though. I ran into lots of random encounters in the halls in the Monastry, far more than I did the first time around. And given that a small party spreads the experience between less members and therefore should level more quickly, this group are yet to reach Phoonzangs statue and all are level 5 and on their way to 6. The group of 4 were all only just level 5 when I had completed the Monastry!?!!?
bladedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:34 AM   #8
Phantasm900
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well I managed to complete AP with my 2 party members.Changed Ninja to Bishop. First few levels were extrememly tough as I said, but once I got to about level 6/7 it got a little less murderous. Had to do a lot of runningaway and quite a bit of camping for hours in a locked room to get rid of groups I had no hope of beating. Like to hear if anyone has done a solo on mod4
Phantasm900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:31 AM   #9
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Yah, solo Lord and solo Rogue.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote