Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #11
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

The Rat Patrol
Hawaii 5-0
Time Tunnel
Lost in Space (the original)
UFO
The Thunderbirds
Joe 90
Fireball XL5
Captain Scarlet
Stingray
The Starlost (great potential, incredibly screwed by Fox)

Waiting for (and watching) Star Wars first run in the theatres.

Discos (platform shoes with goldfish. Heh)

Hotrods with HUGE rear wheels, tiny front wheels, and fuzzy dice. (modern equivalent would be Honda with 21" wheels and a fart tip, with a boombox spouting loud hip-hop)

Pop cost a dime, and deposit on the bottle was a penny.

Putting 50 cents worth of gas in the car and cruising all weekend.

The golden age of S-F (Heinlein still rules - rereading Time Enough for Love right now)

Playing DnD and Traveller before anyone knew what those were.

When computer hobbyists built their own hardware, as well as programmed it, using binary, themselves.

When cops caught you driving after having a few "adult beverages" they cautioned you to go STRAIGHT HOME, then followed you to make sure. (instead of throwing you in jail)

Maybe more later.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:37 AM   #12
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Oh, here's a good one - when terrorists were scared shitless to attack americans or harm them in any way, before political correctness undermined the US's foreign policy.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:28 PM   #13
Arvon
Unicorn

On the nostalgia front have you ever noticed that all tha old heros only made it to captian? Capt. Midnight, Capt. Marvel, Capt. America and so on. And when they buried Capt America they didn't even give him a promotion.

Sorry to twist the thread...

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:33 PM   #14
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

It is common "sarge knowledge" that you bury your brains along with the stars. I have yet to meet a rupert above captain that is smarter than a sergeant.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #15
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

I remember when there only 5 channels ( CBS, NBC,ABC, local independat chnl 18 and PBS) on TV and when they used to sign off the air ~ 12:00 ( weeknights ) or 2:00 ( Fri and Sat) and it was a big deal to stay up to 10:00 to watch a movie on Friday night. I also remember when cartoons would show Bugs blowing people up or Daffy pointing a gun a his bill, pulling the trigger, and blowing it off.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #16
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by toot033:
I remember when there only 5 channels ( CBS, NBC,ABC, local independat chnl 18 and PBS) on TV and when they used to sign off the air ~ 12:00 ( weeknights ) or 2:00 ( Fri and Sat) and it was a big deal to stay up to 10:00 to watch a movie on Friday night. I also remember when cartoons would show Bugs blowing people up or Daffy pointing a gun a his bill, pulling the trigger, and blowing it off.
Yeah, and look, most of us are still here too. Nobody thought they were a duck and blew their bill off, anyway.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:43 PM   #17
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

The Lawrence Welk show:

..came on right before Walk Disney on Sunday night.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:45 PM   #18
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I remember when the kops used to dominate English football. Now they are only a bunch of loserfools.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:34 AM   #19
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I had an interesting collection of objects and habits growing up. I'm young enough that, when I mention rollerblading when I was younger (we lived a block away from the rink, and I had a real knack for it), that older folks will say, "You know, when I did that, they were roller *skates*" and I can honestly say, yes, I owned a pair. I also owned a record player, and we had one of those clackers to change the channel on the TV before we got a remote.

I also remember that "Abort, retry, fail?" was my favorite computer error message (the question mark made it seem more carefree than the others), but I read too much into "Bad command or file name." The sentence structure said to me, not "the file name is bad" but that I had spelled something incorrectly, that I had to kind of file it like you'd file a nail. A fine-tuning of the command, as it were.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:07 PM   #20
Arvon
Unicorn

Radio Shack Model 3! yes I remember the model 1.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote