Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #21
Thoran
Galvatron

If you're going to be driving the car year round in the Northeast I'd avoid RWD. I've driven a fair number of RWD cars in winter, and most of the time I'd rather have a FWD car. It's not that a RWD car CAN'T be driven well on snow and ice... it's that FWD is much easier to drive on snow and ice. Then of course there's AWD... which is by far the best option as long as you don't get cocky and assume because it goes a lot better it'll automatically stop a lot better too. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I've had AWD winter cars for a decade (Subaru's)... I'll never own a non-AWD winter car.

Also... I'm not impressed with the RX8, I'd buy a 7 year old RX7 before I'd buy a 2 year old RX8... it's just a better car. To go from such a brilliant design to the RX8... very disappointing.

I've got a cousin who loves Audi's... and IMO they've got the best AWD system out there and nice understated styling. Reliability on the other hand... well if you're unhappy with your Jetta I don't think an Audi is going to put a smile on your face.

In the 20k range looking for a midsized all weather driver I'd try to find one of the Subaru Turbo Legacy GT's used... although they may be a bit more than that still. Reliable, excellent AWD system, solid performance. If you're partial to European cars look at the Saab's... basically Subaru's with European interiors and styling queues.

Also... snow tires. I'm amazed at the number of people who buy these great AWD cars for 'winter drivng' then put crappy all season radials on them. The most important thing for any car in the winter is having good winter tires.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:14 PM   #22
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Target:

My Father has a RX-8 but has to keep topping up the oil as it burns a lot so you’ll need to factor that cost in, but it is great to drive and a lot of fun.
Oh no...shades of my Alfa! [/QUOTE]It's nothing to really worry about; it's a natural consequence of the Rotary motor. The tip seals used the latest Renesis are much improved, but still use considerable oil compared to a conventional motor.