Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 05:52 PM   #1
Tyros the Demon Slayer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Okay. I caved. I still can't get much farther than before, despite all the good advice I've gotten. For whatever reason, my bishop, 3 hybrids, gadgeteer and bard just can't get the job done.

So, I am now trying a slight variation on Flamestryke's basic party suggestion. I'd welcome any thoughts.

Mook - Male - Fighter (Specializing in Sword and Modern Weapons)
Dracon - Male - Fighter (Specializing in dual weapons and Sword)
Lizardman - Male - Fighter (Specializing in dual weapons and Axe)
Human - Male - Priest (Mace and sling)
Felpurr - Female - Gadgeteer (Lockpicking)
Faerie - Female - Mage (Darts)

The one thing I see this party missing is someone I can rely on to throw bombs, etc., when the time comes. I'm trying to build up the priest and mage through combat practice, but it is slow going. I obviously can't waste attribute points to build strength or dexterity for either of my spell casters, at least not yet. I probably shouldn't add skill points there at level upgrades either.

Can I live without it? Should I start upgrading my mook fighter (who has the highest dex (but lowest strength) of the fighters?

Unrelatedly, I am considering taking this party to the Umpani camp before Arnika (to get some modern weapons and ammo, and some of the better spellbooks for my mage). Here's a chance to talk me out of it. Any takers?
Tyros the Demon Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Ya got 3 too many again!
Old 09-14-2004, 07:15 PM   #3
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Ignore Variol; he's forgotten what it's like to be inexperienced.

Modern weapons: bows are better. I'd suggest switching from modern weapons to bows. Your mage can use a sling, which is much better than darts.

You seem to be gearing up for a lot of melee combat. I always liked to use ranged weapons (and spells, of course) as much as possible before closing with the enemy.

But I'd like to know what went wrong with your other party; it looked like a solid group.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:27 PM   #4
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I will not be ignored!
I'll tell you what went wrong with the old party.. "IT WAS TOO BIG"!
Tyros, you've listened to the others and here you are starting over. Trust me; go with three. Just go to lvl 7-8ish and see how things look from there. You'll lvl up twice as fast (that makes sense, right) and your party of 3 will be much better. Like I said before, do you want 6 casting magic missles or 3 casting fireballs?
And forget about the ironman sh@t! Play easy! It will give you a much better idea of how a small party works and there will still be lots of challenge.
Your 2 fighters and priest should be a good combo. Your priest will lvl up fast with magic. I'd focus on devine and water first. Your 2 fighters will do just that. I think you'll be impressed. You'll leave the monestary at 7-8ish without too much trying and don't be afraid to hang for a bit and get some practice! Don't worry about the protection spells that you can't cast; they're over rated in my opinion.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:17 PM   #5
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Modern weapons are better because the Frontier Phaser needs no ammo or charges.(very easy to get one Phaser; the other 2 fighters can work up Bow anyway, just give them one and let them shoot when it's ranged time--no level points. But also--Slings are almost as good, and work up Throw--you could give the Fighters magic that way, too...) Your Priest will develop the Throw well enough to toss some bombs and have some nice offensive magic that way. And i agree about the Mage, as soon as you get another Sling, much better than darts.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:35 PM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Scatter, I don't recall being all that impressed with the phaser, though not needing ammo was nice. A double x-bow with lightning bolts, now that's a good weapon. Actually, I don't even remember where the phaser is. The spook drop in the shallows?

Variol, six isn't too many. I ran 6-character parties for a long time myself before going with short ones. You do need to know the game and the characters before trying a small group.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:11 AM   #7
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Phaser drops fairly often off the dying Princess in Bayjin, and not-so-often from the same 2 places you can get Light Swords. (there's a possible 9 of them!)
The thing about the ranged weapons in general, though, unless you carry LOTS of ammo, it's easier to inflict much more damage with melee, pretty much throughout the game. And the Stamina drain of tripleshooting is ridiculous, even compared to 2 2X3's with Fang/DE or whatever.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:15 AM   #8
Tyros the Demon Slayer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok -- I hear you guys. Variol -- I promise, once I've at least gotten a little farther in the game (i.e., into Rapax territory for the first time), I'll try a smaller party.

For now, though, here was my thinking on the darts -- aren't I better off with a dart in each hand -- more throws, and therefore more training?

I would love to actually make it to bayjin -- haven't pulled that off yet -- but it's a goal.
Tyros the Demon Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:53 AM   #9
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

well, yes, if you want your Throw/Sling to go faster...but i usually do that if i also want Dual Wield to go up, which, for a Mage, is impossible. But, yeah, throw everything you find until it runs out and then switch back to sling, and your T/S will scoot up pretty quickly.
OTOH, Mages should CAST at range, not throw!!!
Maybe use the throwing stuff with the Priest, who doesn't get much to cast until later?
Old 09-15-2004, 05:23 AM   #10
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Getting your caster to spend time throughing is a waste of time. Let him/her cast. Just cast anything! In this case, get to crock fast. Get the wrist rocket or even doubleshot sling!
..and if you're going there, go a little further to the Rapax away camp area and get the Picus Eggs. You already have 2 cleavers and the piercer molai claws can be had on Arn - Trynt road. The beastslayer is a good weapon in the early part of the game.
Oh, and 3 is all you need!

[ 09-15-2004, 05:49 AM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]