Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2004, 09:45 PM   #1
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Did you know:

If you cast an Elemental near you in a battle while you are meleeing, like up against Nessie, it may defend you personally instead of attacking (kept my Psionic alive at a dark moment).

A level 10 Greater Picus can knock the #*$^% out of you even when you are level 20 with Bless on and Armor lev 33 (ask my Gadgeteer with the *light shield*).

Those lev 22 Priestesses can keep healing the minions indefinately. They don't run out of magic like us poor saps. Which means you run up to them for the kill. Unfortunately, this usually attracts those Samurai and Berserkers just waiting aroung the corner to get to your backside. Ouch!! That hurrrtttss.

A Valk does more damage with a mere Mystic Spear than Excalibur in most melees (the initiative thing). I switched her to the Mauler and Diamond Eyes. She still is outdoing Excal overall but her stats need alot of help. May go back to Mystic. Also note, you can get a Mauler from from one of the High Priestesses on a drop (at least I think it happened, but possibly leftover from M. Wild). The HPs generated when I slept near the 2 portals.

Zatoichi Bo is not available to Ninjas. Sure looks like a Nin weapon.

Demonsbane Bow is not available to Samurais. Sure looks like a Sam weapon.

These two restrictions don't make much sense except to "mix it up".

There are others but my brain is fried on Friday, please add your own...
Old 10-08-2004, 09:49 PM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Yes, I'd like to add my own fried brain...
Old 10-09-2004, 07:41 AM   #3
Flamestryke
The Magister

Quote:
Also note, you can get a Mauler from from one of the High Priestesses on a drop (at least I think it happened, but possibly leftover from M. Wild).
Yes you can. All of the High Priestesses who are in the "fixed" battles in the Rift drop from the Rift Good Treasure List in which the Mauler is available.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:02 AM   #4
xfactor
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziggurat:

A Valk does more damage with a mere Mystic Spear than Excalibur in most melees (the initiative thing). I switched her to the Mauler and Diamond Eyes. She still is outdoing Excal overall but her stats need alot of help. May go back to Mystic. Also note, you can get a Mauler from from one of the High Priestesses on a drop (at least I think it happened, but possibly leftover from M. Wild). The HPs generated when I slept near the 2 portals.
Conclusion: 2-handed sowrds are a bit of a waste of time, especially later in the game. I was really pleased when I eventually found Excalibur and then really depressed when I realised that it was actually worse then dual-wielding. The best Polearms and Staffs all have +ve Init modifiers which makes a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziggurat:

Zatoichi Bo is not available to Ninjas. Sure looks like a Nin weapon.
I've made that mistake before - changed profession to a Ninja to use the Z-Bo. D'oh!

Also, why is the Staff of Doom worth so little? I understand it may be some sort of RP type thing since it's worth 8,888 (anyone know the significance of this number, if there is one) but that does seem stupidly cheap. Not that I've ever sold it - it just annoys me.

Probably the worst mistake I've made was believeing that the Bushido Blade was 2-handed in my first game when Raven dropped it. Because of this I didn't use it in favour of the Ench. Wak. and Bloodlust.

xfactor
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 12:39 PM   #5
Riftmaker
Elminster

Just goes to show you should always identify an Item before assuming things about it.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:24 PM   #6
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Welcome X! This game keeps you curious and there are so many permutations you may want to try a new party when the last one has done.

Thanks Flame. I didn't think it was my imagination.

I'm now getting certain that 2-handed swords are automatically losers. That goes for axes as well.

If you have a lizardman, go ahead and boost intelligence. It's a waste of points but they don't kill everyone.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:59 AM   #7
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

heh, i played a Liz Sam & she got Powercast...
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 02:47 PM   #8
xfactor
Dungeon Master

Just to try and prove myself wrong my next party will include a Fighter wth a 2-handed sword. Now all I need to do is get a decent one since the Sword of Fire is the only guarunteed, high damage 2-handed sword in the game, I think.

xfactor
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 05:42 PM   #9
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Take a Mook--Giant's Sword. Not just 2-handed; Extended Range and 30%KO. Guaranteed available in 3 places.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 11:13 PM   #10
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

I like the Giant Sword but a Gadge can't use it. One of those class things I guess.

Bloodlust and Staff of Doom are way under-rated in the game as far as value goes. They do far more damage than the price on them would suggest. Who knows..

Here's a theory: they didn't want them to be too strong, a balance thing. But why so low on the money for sales? Still seems weird.