Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2003, 08:16 AM   #1
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

When I went to high school we were forced to read George Orwells 1984. Looks like its actually beginning to take shape. If this article is true (and Im afraid it is) Big Brother has arrived. http://www.guerrillanews.com/government/doc953.html

There is a link down the page to here. http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress00/kerr090600.htm

Feel your rights being invaded? I do. I dont like it one bit. Ive known for years that the Federal Government has been able to do this but its just now becoming public knowledge, and the Government is finally admitting to it.

The Government is a machine and now that its up and running Im afraid theres nothing we can do to stop it.

And some people still wonder why the US Goverment wants to take firearms away from its citizens. Hard to kill a tank with rock and a sling.

Remember Tienamin (sp?) Square.

Whos next?
Old 01-14-2003, 08:20 AM   #2
Aragorn The Wise
Manshoon

To me this looks more like slanted journalism (aka yellow journalism) Until I see the facts from a different viewpoint I won't believe it.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:31 AM   #3
Grungi
Banned User

erm alot of it has been true for a while, if you say certain keywords in transatlantic emails its picked up on and read (the keywords are fed through an automated system if enough are in one email they then go to actual people who will check to make sure its not a terrorist threat or the like) and certainly forums that are highly political are now closely scrutinised, i know someone who was arrested by the feds for posting a jokey comment about killing bush on the Fark forums, the story should still be about somewhere, its very amusing, unfortunately very true, glad i dont live there [img]tongue.gif[/img] this forum for the moment being rpg wont have any interest so is likely not scanned, but fark certainly is, so you can test the theory if you like, go and post highly anti-bush or american statements on it and if you live in the US chances are they will come round, but be warned i am NOT joking , if you do it then you'll face the consequences, and the guy i know had two hour grilling from the feds before they realised he was joking and let him go, he was dragged out of work for it too.

dont think there will be a total lockdown on "bad" things though too hard to maintain the internet like that.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:45 AM   #4
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I also doubt they have the manpower or time to check out every joker who posts anti-Bush statements.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-14-2003, 08:50 AM   #5
MagiK

E.D. Find a better source of news dude. That site is obviously NOT an unbiased nor objective reporting agency. It sounds more like disaffected highschool or college boys.

Old 01-14-2003, 08:52 AM   #6
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

The CIA has admitted (on TV) that they scan an average of 4 billion emails per day for keywords like bomb, attack, poison ect.

Ive known for 17 years that the FBI has been able to listen to every word you say through an exsisting phone line----- and you dont even have to have a phone ATTACHED to the LINE.

If you read BETWEEN the lines on the second link they are only admitting to PART of what they have BEEN able to do for years. Its just that the Government is now tryig to make it publicly acceptable.

It is NOT acceptable.

This is worse then the Censorship that began in the 50's. The Honeymooners are dead. I Love Lucy wasnt real life. They bleep out words that kids use every day at school.

The FCC is where it all started. Why else would they have created the FCC? Big Brother is taking the spotlight now folks. Its gone from Censorship to COMPLETE CONTROL.

I for one am extremely pissed off.

Your so called encrypted and safe, secure mobile phone calls have been hacked and listened to by the government for YEARS.

Now if I can just find the link.......
Old 01-14-2003, 08:55 AM   #7
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Magic, you dont seem to have read the second link. Thats the FBI press statement concerning this subject On the FBI's website. Notice the .gov at the end of it. But make sure you read between the lines when you do read it bud.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:55 AM   #8
Grungi
Banned User

they might not check everyone out, but as i know someone who was physically pulled out of work by two feds to answer questions just cos he jokily posted how he wanted bush dead (and it was so obviously jokey cos i read the original thread) im pretty certain i know what i believe, its a fact, it happened and i cant imagine hes an isolated case.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:56 AM   #9
homer
Manshoon

I have read the article and I must say I agree with Aragorn the Wise. This dose not sound like impartial reporting.

Incidentally, in the U.S., it has been against the law to threaten the life of the president for quite some time; Well before the Internet came along.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:59 AM   #10
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthdog:
Magic, you dont seem to have read the second link. Thats the FBI press statement concerning this subject On the FBI's website. Notice the .gov at the end of it. But make sure you read between the lines when you do read it bud.
Well yes, I was obviously refering to the GNN site. I have seen them...and their slanted views before. The .gov site is a good one, but again I think it is much ado about very little. I guess only time will tell. It is good to keep your eyes open, but I don't think this administration is out to turn us into apolice state.