Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2003, 06:06 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

Link

Ananova:
US commander orders staff to attend Christmas party

The commander of a US base near Southampton has warned staff they face disciplinary action if they miss their Christmas party.

Commander Raymond Langlais wrote to the 200-strong workforce, all but three of whom are British, saying they'll lose pay if they miss the party tonight.

The event is being held at the US Army's Combat Equipment Battalion at Hythe.

In a memo to staff, he wrote: "If you feel like I am trying to force FUN upon you, then you are correct."

He added: "Let me make it clear that every employee's duty on December 19 is the Base Christmas Party. All employees not on approved leave will participate in the party."

He said those who didn't attend "will be considered absent, will receive no pay and are subject to disciplinary measures", reports theDaily Telegraph.

Pointing out that the party was being held during normal working hours, he said: "If we are having a Christmas party on our installation and people are getting paid to be here then I want them at the party and don't want them just sitting in a lounge.

"I was told that last year some people were not involved in the party at all so what I'm trying to do is get everyone involved this year."

One British member of staff said: "No consideration has been given to those who do not celebrate Christmas due to their religion or choice."
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 12-19-2003, 10:26 AM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

The same is true for many places I've worked, including firms with more Jewish names than Christian in the title. In any workplace, there is the danger that an employer trying to be nice (by throwing a party during hours) will end up giving half his staff a free vacation day. That's abusing kindness and biting the hand that feeds you. Howabout they call it a Holiday Party -- will that placate you?
Old 12-19-2003, 10:48 AM   #3
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
The same is true for many places I've worked, including firms with more Jewish names than Christian in the title. In any workplace, there is the danger that an employer trying to be nice (by throwing a party during hours) will end up giving half his staff a free vacation day. That's abusing kindness and biting the hand that feeds you. Howabout they call it a Holiday Party -- will that placate you?
I don't need placating TL. I thought this was funny because it was a miltary base giving an order. Anywhere I've ever worked the party takes place outside working time.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 12-19-2003, 11:11 AM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

The parties are cooler when they occur outside of work, I feel. We had ours yesterday and it was LAME-O. Then, afterwards, I went to a party with a partner and it ROCKED. Anyway, sorry for ascribing the wrong point of view to you.

[ 12-19-2003, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 12-19-2003, 11:27 AM   #5
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
The parties are cooler when they occur outside of work, I feel. We had ours yesterday and it was LAME-O. Then, afterwards, I went to a party with a partner and it ROCKED. Anyway, sorry for ascribing the wrong point of view to you.
I'm happy at any party as long as I can photocopy my arse!!

Ooh look! - I got a pretty harpy thing!
Old 12-19-2003, 11:42 AM   #6
MagiK

Umm Shouldn't this be in CE?

And was the party being held during work hours? If so, it is common practice in US government and Military to dock pay or charge against vacation time if you skip the party. Must be a slow news day [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2003, 11:55 AM   #7
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Umm Shouldn't this be in CE?

And was the party being held during work hours? If so, it is common practice in US government and Military to dock pay or charge against vacation time if you skip the party. Must be a slow news day [img]smile.gif[/img]
"When in Rome" as they say, Personally I beleive forcing things upon people only causes trouble.

[ 12-19-2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Lanesra ]
Old 12-19-2003, 12:42 PM   #8
MagiK

Yeah forcing things on people can lead to trouble...but hey, you don't have to attend the party to party...you could go to your desk and work wile everyone else partied....but noooo you never see the complainers doing that... [img]smile.gif[/img] I am speaking more for my office environment that this case specificly in this instance....

Old 12-19-2003, 07:00 PM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Yeah, what's all this "no consideration has been given to those that don't celebrate Christmas?" Whaddaya mean? It's a party for pete's sake they can go and have fun and in their minds celebrate whatever they want. Geez, you'd think they'd have decent things to complain about [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Besides, whatever people say Christmas is hardly a religious even these days even in so-called Christian countries. It's all about who's buying the most expensive presents and who's getting the most stuff and eating most. bleh.

[ 12-19-2003, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 12-19-2003, 07:05 PM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
I'm happy at any party as long as I can photocopy my arse!!
I thought I was the only one!