Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2002, 11:56 AM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

This thread is dedicated to any TV-show or movie that has a SERIOUSLY ridiculous or stupid flaw in their storyline.

In addition to listing these "plot-holes", I would also like you to give YOUR explanation of why the story was written that way.

I'll start it off...but please feel free to add your own.

TV Show: Gilligan's Island

Plot-Hole: WHY on Earth would a MILLIONAIRE or a MOVIE STAR EVER take a tour on a rinky-dink tub like the U.S.S. Minnow?

Explanation: Thurston Howell had just robbed millions of dollars from the corporation he ran (remember the suitcases full of money?). He had studied the weather reports and knew a major squall was brewing on that fateful day. He booked the trip a week in advance and grabbed the money the night before. He also made sure his mistress (Ginger) was booked on the same trip.
He planted a small explosive device in the hull of the ship and set it to go off when they were near an uncharted island discovered by the captain of his private yacht. Then he and Ginger would rendezvous with the yacht at this island and leave the rest of the group marooned.
Unfortunately, the yacht was also sunk in the storm, so Thurston had to improvise and pretend to be a snobbish (and somewhat bumbling) millionaire. He also didn't get a chance to dump "Lovey" and run off with Ginger.
It just goes to show that crime does not pay.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:30 AM   #2
Epona
Zartan

The most recent Dr Who made really annoyed me - that one off feature length episode with Paul McGann.

PLOTHOLE: At the end, the Drs assistant dies. The Dr goes back in time, and the only thing that has changed is the girl is alive!! He didn't have to do anything, the bad guy has been defeated still, but the girl didn't die. THAT CAN'T HAPPEN IN DOCTOR WHO - time doesn't work like that.

EXPLANATION: Convenient yet incredibly unbelievable distortion of the true nature of the Doctor's time travelling abilities in order to ensure a happy ending and wrap up the story without any thought required on the part of the writers. That is not in the spirit of the series, assistants died, they weren't bought back to life, ever!
Old 03-04-2002, 02:40 PM   #3
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

You wanna talk plot-holes?
Watch the Bond-movies, sure it's entertaining, but once you look closer on the story, it's just crap!
There are too many things to list here, but for example the classic ones;
Why oh why would the villain first put Bond in a complex machine which will take his life slowly, or after a large amount of time, and before he starts the whole thng, he reveal his whole plot, and THEN he leaves the room, when he could just shoot him!

Possible explanation; He's just plain stupid.
[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2002, 08:09 PM   #4
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

They obviously never read the "Top 100 Things to Avoid If I Were An Evil Overlord" thread.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:53 PM   #5
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sir ReGiN:
You wanna talk plot-holes?
Watch the Bond-movies, sure it's entertaining, but once you look closer on the story, it's just crap!
There are too many things to list here, but for example the classic ones;
Why oh why would the villain first put Bond in a complex machine which will take his life slowly, or after a large amount of time, and before he starts the whole thng, he reveal his whole plot, and THEN he leaves the room, when he could just shoot him!

Possible explanation; He's just plain stupid.
[img]tongue.gif[/img]
<hr></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You're not kiddin' brother. I used to LOVE James Bond movies when I was younger and I planned to own ALL of them "when I grew up".

A funny thing happened on the way to adulthood, though, I realized just how ludicrous the plots really were. Take away the gadgets and special effects and you don't even have the makings for a decent B-horror movie.

HOWEVER, the boat chase from Live and Let Die has to be THE BEST chase scene from ANY movie I've ever seen. Those stunts were absolutely incredible.

So...to follow my own rules...that's the explanation for ALL the plot-holes in the James Bond series. The villain is so overwhelmed by Bond's innate ability to operate any piece of machinery or fire any type of weapon with pinpoint accuracy on the very first that they secretaly WANT to be thwarted by him.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:29 PM   #6
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You're not kiddin' brother. I used to LOVE James Bond movies when I was younger and I planned to own ALL of them "when I grew up".

A funny thing happened on the way to adulthood, though, I realized just how ludicrous the plots really were. Take away the gadgets and special effects and you don't even have the makings for a decent B-horror movie.

HOWEVER, the boat chase from Live and Let Die has to be THE BEST chase scene from ANY movie I've ever seen. Those stunts were absolutely incredible.

So...to follow my own rules...that's the explanation for ALL the plot-holes in the James Bond series. The villain is so overwhelmed by Bond's innate ability to operate any piece of machinery or fire any type of weapon with pinpoint accuracy on the very first that they secretaly WANT to be thwarted by him.
<hr></blockquote>

LOL
That's probarbly it