Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2002, 10:58 PM   #1
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

The final battles were a little disappointing. With both Cet and Anephas, it was just a matter of time to whack them into oblivion. Oh well, it was still a really fun game and still better than the M&M6,7, and 8 that I'm playing right now... well, so far. I just started with them, and it seems that the plot is more simplistic in W&W, while many of the game operation/interface features are better and more intuitive from a newbie point of view. I also like the look of the game world in W&W better. I expect, however, that M&M will far surpass in plot features and variety.

+Dr.Pick
Old 01-08-2002, 06:36 AM   #2
Jonni Voodoo
The Magister

Might and Magic and 'plot' in the same sentence? BLASPHEMY!

Heh, seriously, I hope M&M 9 is better than 7 and 8.
Jonni Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 08:33 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Congrats on winning, Dr. Pick!!!

I think everyone who has played through to the end of W&W has been disappointed with the last battles. The enjoyment the rest of the game afforded and knowing that they rushed the game to market so everything didn't end up as they had originally planned compensates!

I've played M&M 6, 7 & 8 and never actually finished any of them. WIth 6 it was simply impossible. I'd get better than 3/4 the way through the game and it would crash unable to be recovered. With 7 and 8, I played until you get to the sci-fi bits that they like to throw in towards the end of the game. I don't like sci-fi mixed with medieval. I've played both genre and like both but not together which is why I'm not happily lost in Wiz 8. Ah well.
The M&M worlds tend to be larger than the world in W&W, or at least that is my impression. I rather like the more intimate world of W&W. It's a nice manageable size!

Wyv
Old 01-10-2002, 11:58 PM   #4
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

These are the 1st negative comments I've heard about the M&M series. One plot item I refer to is the inclusion of "political" influences in the gameplay. If you side with one group, another will resist you, etc. This is a good, creative plot feature in one of the M&M games that doesn't exist in W&W. Now, I'm only going by what I've read in the walkthroughs, etc. 'cause I'm just starting all three to prep. for M&M 9.

However, one of my pet peeves is that the difficulty level cannot be adjusted. W&W is adjustable, although some, perhaps justifiably, feel it's not difficult enough, and if I can play at the highest difficulty setting without trouble, then it's probably too easy. I, however, am not looking to rack my brains trying to figure out how to get through a game. I want to relax and enjoy the unfolding plot and gameplay. Real life provides plenty of brain racking problems for me, thanks. I also look for good graphics to enhance my experience traveling through another realm, but that is not paramount.

I sure hope I don't experience the problems that you did, Wyvern. That is a bummer. Oh, and thanks for the kudos, by the way. I don't mind the sci-fi/medi. mix issue if it makes sense, but that's not easy, so I'll have to(hopefully)see.

Y'know, I've been thinking about sci-fi recently. I love it in movies and TV, but I have little interest when it comes to PC games. How odd...

+Dr.Pick
Old 01-11-2002, 12:25 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Congrats on finishing as well. I'm mostly through my second game; knowing the "system", it's now quite boring, as much as I hate to admit it. And yet, I'm still going to finish it... says more about me than I care to think.

As an original MM player, I concur on several of your points. OF the three versions you mentioned, MM6 was (IMHO) the best by far. There are dungeons in there that still give me nightmares... MM7 added the choice of alliances (which really didn't affect play all that much), and MM8 added the party concept, which I really don't care for. I prefer to create and grow an entire party, not one character that I match up with various NPCs. And to me, they are NPCs...

MM is a lot longer, and doesn't restrict you the same way that W&W does. For example, you can't get to the Lost Sea until you get to Brimloch Roon, which you can't get to until you get through the Dragonspire (stacking crates on Tobin's head excluded... ). With MM, you can go anywhere (except Regna in MM8) at any time, even though the monsters may be far superior to you. And anyone who's accidentally ended up in Dragonsand knows exactly what I mean...

Older MMs used to have a difficulty level (Warrior or Adventurer). That's gone away, and I'd like to see it back too. Nothing like running around with Spawn=often and Difficulty=hard (except that it's now more of an annoyance, except when someone changes classes and I need to get them some levels quickly).
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote