Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2003, 07:53 AM   #21
Tancred
White Dragon

Lleyton Hewitt... there's not a more boring player in Wimbledon. Chases after every ball no matter how pointless and just keeps playing the same lobs over and over and over until his opponent slips up. *sigh* I just don't enjoy watching him play tennis, and I'm glad he lost!
Old 07-04-2003, 09:09 AM   #22
wellard
Dracolisk

He is a small guy with a poor serve, So to win as many as he does he has to use pure sweat and sheer guts. He is differant to most other players tho'. But if you don't like Hewitt there is always Philippoussis [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

go the Aussies

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 07-04-2003, 06:02 PM   #23
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
*shrugs* Well I think the lob shows he's NOT boring, that he's more than just a baseline basher and has a little finesse and touch. If his opponents let him use it 'over and over and over' more fool them for not cottoning onto his tactic. And hey, the more balls you get back, the more chances the other guy has to take to make a winner. His serve's not poor; he's improved it hugely over the past couple of years although lately it's gone walkabout . I actually think he's a great player to watch, as baseliners go. Where have all the serve-volleyers gone?
Old 07-04-2003, 06:31 PM   #24
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
They have been replaced by the "boom boom" type of players i guess. There's nothing wrong with a good ace, but if that's all i'm gonna see, i rather play some virtual tennis on the PC, at least there's some variety in that.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:13 AM   #25
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:

I dunno, I always feel sorry for tennis players who lose when they're expected to win (except Tim [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] ).
Tim never loses when he is expected to win - he loses when he is expected to lose and wins when he is expected to lose. As a rule it should be remembered that he's a bit crap, all told...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 07-05-2003, 05:43 PM   #26
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
*shrugs* Well I think the lob shows he's NOT boring, that he's more than just a baseline basher and has a little finesse and touch. If his opponents let him use it 'over and over and over' more fool them for not cottoning onto his tactic. And hey, the more balls you get back, the more chances the other guy has to take to make a winner. His serve's not poor; he's improved it hugely over the past couple of years although lately it's gone walkabout . I actually think he's a great player to watch, as baseliners go. Where have all the serve-volleyers gone?
I think, unless Hewitt REALLY changes his style, that there's not more than a couple of years left of good tennis in him. A lot of people have compared him to Agassi, but he hasn't got Agassi's strength or skill. Hewitt has two main assets - his speed and his tenacity. He goes after every ball like he has obsessive-compulsive disorder. Combined with his sprinting, that's sufficed to allow him to pull off victories, but now... his frame's filling out, he's becoming heavier as he gets older, he's getting slower. He's not going to be able to do that any more. I believe he really needs to work on his skills over next year or he's going to get hammered again.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:59 PM   #27
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I would totally disagree that his only strengths are his speed and tenacity. Although I'm puzzled as to why you think it's a bad thing that he chases every ball he can get down. Would it be better that he just didn't bother running and lost a lot of points? The more times you make your opponent hit a shot the more chance they have of making an error. And the more pressure he puts on them to go for the line more. But that's hardly the only way he wins! I'm thinking to his US open win over Sampras - did you see some of the passing shots he played that day? And Sampras was not playing badly, but Hewitt blew him off the court with skill and precision. Some of the best servers in the game have commented on his amazing return of serve (an Agassi trademark). His volleying is as good or better than Agassi's as well. And he hits a lot of winners. You simply don't stay at number 1 in the world for 18 months like he did with the depth that there is by 'pulling off' victories. You create victories and dominate the game and he has done that.

LOL Barry . Is that your way of saying Henman's never expected to win? I bet the punters on Henman Hill don't think that!