Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2002, 02:52 PM   #51
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Just a thank you to everyone for your responses concerning my post. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
You ALL are great friends and everyone should know by now you can e-mail me if you want to talk about anything, like alot of other members here.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:44 PM   #52
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
As far as I am concerned , while suicide isnt for me, I dont feel I should have to talk someone else out of it. If you are gonna do yourself in then dont just talk about it , DO IT !! If you want to die then I will lend you my pistol. Just be sure not to miss because I am only giving you 1 bullet. Crys for attention just irritate me.If mommy doesnt pay enough attention to you or Jimmy the football star wont date you , too bad , get over it!! Life is rarely fair. If you are weak enough to want to kill yourself because of some minor problem in your life then by all means , go for it. Before people tell me that some problems arent minor , let me explain. Unless you have very terminal cancer, the ebola virus, some odd uncureable flesh eating disease, or some other kind of illness that is horribly painfull and will eventualy kill you , then your problems are minor. Breaking up with someone , getting fired, loseing your car or house, or having an unplanned pregnancy dont realy mean squat in the grand scheme of things. If you arent up to the challenge of life then maybe you should just fade away and make room for the rest of us who are. On the plus side if you kill yourself you get to choose how you go. No more leaving it up to fate and wondering if you will get hit by a bus or have a heart attack in your sleep. Just incase you were wondering if I see you out on a window ledge on some high rise I will be the guy yelling "JUMP ya big sissy!!". It isnt that I dont care about people , I just choose to care about the ones that matter.
And just how many people do you know that have committed suicide?

This is possibly the worst post I've read regarding this.

Why not just kick them in the head while you're at it?
[/QUOTE]I know how he feels...I have a sister who used to use threats of suicide to get attention.
When I realized how twisted she was, I used to tell her to go ahead and jump (off of an overpass) or go ahead and do it (knives, pills, razors, whatever).
When she realized she wasn't getting the response she was going for she stopped the threats and found other ways to get attention.

The fact of the matter is, if you are unhappy, no one else on the planet is responsible for making you happy. Its when you depend on other people to supply you with emotions that you totally lose yourself.

My sister is a great example. No one but me would tell her to her face the fact that she needs to get herself together, that the world does not revolve around her and that she has to find ways to make herself happy if she is ever going to be even though they'd all talk about it behind her back.
Wouldn't you know, she called me a nutcase for telling her so and now I have just one more reason for them all to write me off.
She actually ended her last conversation with me by telling me to have another heart attack but this time to do her a favor and not survive it. The others tend to be in agreement, after the way I "hurt" her and all.

Granted asking for help is one thing, but to depend on everyone else to pull you out of your slump is a bad way to go about it...what happens next time when there's no one there to depend on for it?

[ 06-14-2002, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 06-14-2002, 06:09 PM   #53
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
I know how he feels...I have a sister who used to use threats of suicide to get attention.
When I realized how twisted she was, I used to tell her to go ahead and jump (off of an overpass) or go ahead and do it (knives, pills, razors, whatever).
When she realized she wasn't getting the response she was going for she stopped the threats and found other ways to get attention.

The fact of the matter is, if you are unhappy, no one else on the planet is responsible for making you happy. Its when you depend on other people to supply you with emotions that you totally lose yourself.

My sister is a great example. No one but me would tell her to her face the fact that she needs to get herself together, that the world does not revolve around her and that she has to find ways to make herself happy if she is ever going to be even though they'd all talk about it behind her back.
Wouldn't you know, she called me a nutcase for telling her so and now I have just one more reason for them all to write me off.
She actually ended her last conversation with me by telling me to have another heart attack but this time to do her a favor and not survive it. The others tend to be in agreement, after the way I "hurt" her and all.

Granted asking for help is one thing, but to depend on everyone else to pull you out of your slump is a bad way to go about it...what happens next time when there's no one there to depend on for it?
Moni, with all respect, there is a difference between someone who threatens suicide and someone who does it.

I know two adults who completed the act. A third person, I actually had to revive after they hanged themself to the point of passing out.

There is no way I would have "given them the pistol". Any of them.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 06-14-2002, 06:40 PM   #54
Epona
Zartan

I think we're talking about 2 different things here. Some people threaten suicide to get attention or more cruelly to manipulate the people that love them - I think Moni is talking about people in that category.

Others attempt suicide as a cry for help - they will often talk about it beforehand, but make an ineffective attempt in a place or using a method where they have a chance to be rescued. eg. slitting your wrists across is either done through ignorance of anatomy, or because you bleed slower - you don't really want to die, but you want people to see how much pain you are in (if you really wanted to die, you'd slit your inner arm from the wrist to elbow).

People who seriously want to die don't talk about it and find a secluded spot, often having researched the most effective method.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:24 PM   #55
Moni

Just so you know I know the difference...someone who is extremely close to me attempted suicide recently and would have succeeded had their girlfriend not called them and asked what they were up to....their answer..."Bleeding to death."
They were on the edge of death and knew she couldn't get there to help them since she was in another state at the time.
Well, lucky for those of us that love this person, she called his local police dept and the paramedics got there in time to save his life.
He had slit his forearm from the wrist to the elbow and now has permanent damage to that arm from slicing through nerves.
I've spent every day for the last two weeks on the phone with this person, letting them know that someone cares, helping them to fix the problems they have that they can fix and helping them to find ways to let go of those things that they can do nothing about.

So don't assume I am ignorant...more than once I've dealt with people on both ends of the issue myself and the situation I am currently dealing with not only hurts but it isn't over by a long shot....people who really want to commit suicide will rarely ever tell anyone, they'll just do it.

Old 06-14-2002, 09:46 PM   #56
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Just so you know I know the difference...someone who is extremely close to me attempted suicide recently and would have succeeded had their girlfriend not called them and asked what they were up to....their answer..."Bleeding to death."
They were on the edge of death and knew she couldn't get there to help them since she was in another state at the time.
Well, lucky for those of us that love this person, she called his local police dept and the paramedics got there in time to save his life.
He had slit his forearm from the wrist to the elbow and now has permanent damage to that arm from slicing through nerves.
I've spent every day for the last two weeks on the phone with this person, letting them know that someone cares, helping them to fix the problems they have that they can fix and helping them to find ways to let go of those things that they can do nothing about.

So don't assume I am ignorant...more than once I've dealt with people on both ends of the issue myself and the situation I am currently dealing with not only hurts but it isn't over by a long shot....people who really want to commit suicide will rarely ever tell anyone, they'll just do it.
i know exactly what you mean, i KNEW two guys who did that to themselves without giving any signals whatsoever. One of them actually seemed happy all the time. The night before he killed himself he was all laughs, full of life if you know what i mean. The next morning he was gone(a handfull of sleeping pills)and he left us completely in the dark. No message, nothing. Maybe this sounds weird to you, but imo that's really egoistic, at least leave SOMETHING for your parents.

[ 06-14-2002, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: johnny ]
Old 06-14-2002, 10:18 PM   #57
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
And just how many people do you know that have committed suicide?

This is possibly the worst post I've read regarding this.

Why not just kick them in the head while you're at it?
To answer your question , 3. 2 while I was in Highschool and 1 while I was in the military. The 2 in highschool did it because they felt alone and claimed to not have any friends. At least that is what the councelors the school brought in told us. Aside from passing them in the hall at school I didnt know or care about them. Nothing changed after they killed themselves. There was so much fake sympathy floating around it made me sick. People who couldnt even put a face with a name went on and on about how much they would miss them. Well, where were all thoes fake ass people before the 2 kids killed themself??

The one in the military did it because when we returned from a 6 month deployment he discoverd that his wife was 3 months pregnant. According to what I heard , she told him about it and he just went in the other room and shot himself.

I dont kick suicidal people in the head because the sharp blow to the head might knock some sense into them.

Quote:
A third person, I actually had to revive after they hanged themself to the point of passing out.
after you revived them did they thank you or did they try to kill themself again?

[ 06-14-2002, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: The Hunter of Jahanna ]
Old 06-14-2002, 10:46 PM   #58
Animal
Gold Dragon

Hunter,

I understand your viewpoint and agree it is no answer, but try a little compassion. Some people don't handle different issues as well as others, but that's no reason to condemn them to death. Perhaps if each of us had a little more compassion for our fellow man this would be a slightly better world to live in. Slightly... (No offense intended to your posts or viepoints)
Old 06-14-2002, 11:14 PM   #59
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

No offense taken, Animal. I also hope that Yorick doesnt feel attacked because that isnt my intention. I guess nobody realy understands anybodys anything. That is probably why we have so many disagreements on the topics posted in here. Unfortunately I am not very compasionate and tend to have a hard time relateing to people.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:21 PM   #60
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
No offense taken, Animal. I also hope that Yorick doesnt feel attacked because that isnt my intention. I guess nobody realy understands anybodys anything. That is probably why we have so many disagreements on the topics posted in here. Unfortunately I am not very compasionate and tend to have a hard time relateing to people.
Well there are some of us here who can understand that much but be warned: its futile to think we are not going to care about you.
[img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/ladyhearts.gif[/img]