Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2003, 11:07 AM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Sympathy for Bombing Suspect May Cloud Search for Evidence
By JEFFREY GETTLEMAN

Excerpt:
Quote:
Sympathy for Bombing Suspect May Cloud Search for Evidence

PEACHTREE, N.C., June 1 — Betty Howard made many people happy today, and it was not for her daily special. Around noon, Mrs. Howard walked outside, glanced up at the sign in front of her diner and decided to change the lettering on the marquee from "Roast Turkey Baked Ham" to "Pray for Eric Rudolph."

"Bless his heart," Mrs. Howard said. "Eric needs our help."

Mrs. Howard said she was going to start an Eric Rudolph legal defense fund. Many customers have already said they would chip in.

A day after the authorities finally collared Eric R. Rudolph, the 36-year-old phantom survivalist who had been wanted for five years in connection with the bombing at the 1996 Olympics and attacks on abortion clinics, it is becoming clearer how fiercely loyal this community is to him, and how that might complicate the case
I wonder how many of the locals will be hauled away for questioning with no legal representation?
Old 06-02-2003, 11:58 AM   #2
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I'll be sure to let you know, Rokenn. The federal, state, and local authorities are continuing their investigation, looking for more evidence that could directly link Eric Robert Rudolph to the crimes he is accused of. Unfortunately, there is a small faction of the local population that support Rudolph and some of them may try to hinder the investigation if they can. That wouldn't be a very smart move on their part, since a good deal of forensic evidence has already been collected that provides a "circumstantial" link between Rudolph and the bombings. Anyone that tries to hinder the investigation may well face charges of obstruction of justice and those that have aided Rudolph over the years could face federal charges of harboring a fugitive.

As for them being "hauled away for questioning without representation", I rather doubt that will happen. They already have the man himself - along with a good deal of evidence against him. All they are trying to do now is make their case even stronger so that he gets the maximum sentence (and possible the death penalty).

Besides, we have PLENTY of lawyers available (even though we're such a small town). And because of the national attention the case has drawn, I'm sure there will be lawyers from Atlanta to Asheville who are more than eager to defend the defenseless.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:09 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

FYI>>>I am not a sympathizer.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:13 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

While I hope he gets his due for the bombing, if he is proven guilty beyond any reasonable doubt, I applaud anyone who can be on the run from a pretty-enthusiastic manhunt for that long. Of course, I'm a "screw the police" kinda guy, so I realize my take on it is generally unshared.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:22 PM   #5
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Cerek, I just PMed you.

TL, while I don't share Mr. Rudolph's views (he's pretty out there IMHO), I too, find it quite ammusing that he managed to alude capture for that long! I also find it quie humorous the the FBI claimed credit by saying it was all part of the plan, when in fact they had abandon their Murphy post in favor of their office in Asheville. I don't think that there was even a agent in Murphy at the time of his capture! No, the full credit should go to the locals who continued to do their jobs long after the Feds gave up.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:04 PM   #6
Lil Lil

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
While I hope he gets his due for the bombing, if he is proven guilty beyond any reasonable doubt, I applaud anyone who can be on the run from a pretty-enthusiastic manhunt for that long. Of course, I'm a "screw the police" kinda guy, so I realize my take on it is generally unshared.
Well it is pretty easy to stay out of sight when authorities are looking for you having to survive as an outcast in the woods when in all reality, you're hiding out in someone's home.

I find it amazing that Mrs Howard and others would go so far to "help" a man who killed people and maimed/injured a couple hundred.

He has been labeled a domestic terrorist which makes his prosecution a whole different ballgame than if he had just been deemed a murderer...people who attempt to hinder the progress of the Department of Justice could find themselves in hot water.

Old 06-02-2003, 03:01 PM   #7
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
The man is a suspected terrorist and you are applauding his ability to allude capture?
Old 06-02-2003, 03:13 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
quote:
The man is a suspected terrorist and you are applauding his ability to allude capture? [/QUOTE]Hey, just because I like to have the FBI shown to be the goofs they are doesn't mean I support terror. One can dislike and deride all sides of a situation. Trust me. Heck, if I had to pick sides every time I wanted to dislike or disdain someone or something, especially considering all the aspects of the government I hate, I'd been even more schizophrenic than I currently am.