Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2003, 06:21 PM   #11
kroma
Dungeon Master

NobleNick,

I concur 100%. As with any computer game, the object is simply to enjoy it - however you achieve that.

I must admit, there were parts in the game which I found insanely tough, to the point of actually stressing me out and having to leave the game alone for a few days!

This kind of stress cannot be classified as enjoyment of the game, but the sense of satisfaction when you eventually do get past THAT bit after numerous attempts, and with no real cheating at all - it makes it all worth it!!
Old 10-22-2003, 12:39 AM   #12
Buschmonkey
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Perhaps I did jump to conclusions. Perhaps not. If so, I apologize. However, I have completed IWD 3 times now and wanted to do specific things in the game such as power quests and the like. My wanting to cheat has nothing to do with a bug or my inability to surpass a tough spot in the game. And people are right. I don't give a crap about personal opinions on cheating. Did I post the question, "So everyone, how do you feel about cheating?" No I did not. I asked a very straight forward technical question that required a straight forward technical answer.

Once again, I appreciate those who have provided the answers I seek. And to those who were, lets say, less than helpful, in the future it might help you and everyone else if you stick with the issues at hand. It does no one any justice to get off topic such as was demonstrated in the above posts.

Thanks all, keep playing the game we all love and lets try to be nice to one another?

Cheers!
Buschmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 08:51 AM   #13
NobleNick
Quintesson

Buschmonkey,

Glad to see you finally got what you wanted.

Agreed.

Party on.
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 03:57 PM   #14
Too Hot
Dungeon Master

sorry for being random am a very random person
Old 10-28-2003, 04:59 AM   #15
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

To clarify my comment:

I was not sarcastic. But i have asked why to cheat? In my opinion there is a big difference between cheating becuase one has lost an item and cheating becuase one is not able to do something-i am aiming for the fact that one has missed something here and not as Buschmonkey may think that I am sarcastic and I have an attitude.

Also i want to thank kroma and NobleNick for their support.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 11:50 AM   #16
motub
The Magister

If you ask me, you're both right, and this whole thing got blown out of proportion.

As I understood this thread, Xen was trying to check that the cheat was necessary, because many people encounter problems in the game that they think can only be solved by using a cheat, and this is often not true. Since cheating really can easily spoil this game (or crash it), my impression was that Xen wanted to prevent Buschmonkey from ruining the fun.

Unfortunately, Buschmonkey's post seems to be that of an experienced IWD player who has chosen to cheat, rather than that of a stuck newbie, so it was easy to take Xen's question the wrong way, in addition to seeing it as a distraction from the original question posted.

I agree that "Why are you cheating?" is often a valid question when answering general help posts on these forums. I also agree that this is not a "valid" thread to engage in a debate over the "moral" question of using cheats.

So could we all shake hands and move on? It was an honest mistake on everybody's part.
motub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 12:43 PM   #17
Lymond
Manshoon

I'd cheat, if that's what I had to do to bring my dead cat back to life. Alas, I don't think such a cheat exists.

I have committed to keeping Sleepy (yes, I named him) with us until the end. I am convinced that he will at some point serve a purpose. If nothing else, he reminds us that life is short and inspires us to live for the moment.

Lymond

ps- Unless my dream comes true and he serves a purpose, this will be the last time I mention the cat. I promise.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:46 PM   #18
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by motub:
If you ask me, you're both right, and this whole thing got blown out of proportion.

As I understood this thread, Xen was trying to check that the cheat was necessary, because many people encounter problems in the game that they think can only be solved by using a cheat, and this is often not true. Since cheating really can easily spoil this game (or crash it), my impression was that Xen wanted to prevent Buschmonkey from ruining the fun.

Unfortunately, Buschmonkey's post seems to be that of an experienced IWD player who has chosen to cheat, rather than that of a stuck newbie, so it was easy to take Xen's question the wrong way, in addition to seeing it as a distraction from the original question posted.

I agree that "Why are you cheating?" is often a valid question when answering general help posts on these forums. I also agree that this is not a "valid" thread to engage in a debate over the "moral" question of using cheats.

So could we all shake hands and move on? It was an honest mistake on everybody's part.
Yes you assume correct! Thank you too!
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 01:08 PM   #19
kroma
Dungeon Master

motub,

I think you summed it all up nicely!

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
Also i want to thank kroma and NobleNick for their support.
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

P.S - Dungeon Master at last!! Gotta love the dice avatar... [img]graemlins/dance2.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2003, 03:01 PM   #20
Buschmonkey
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Wow. I never thought this would stir up so much controversy..

I would like to extend my apologies to Xen for taking his comments out of context. As most would agree it wasn't very difficult to do. Xen, if you had posted the question "What is your reason for cheating" instead of "Why are you cheating" it probably would have made the difference. The first question conveys the seeking of knowledge as where the second suppositions the receiver of the question with the intent of accusation, which is precisely how I felt. It felt like you were accusing me of the moral wrongness of cheating instead of seeking what my reasons were. Basically all of this boils down to a matter of perception versus intent. You intended one meaning and conveyed it, and I perceived it a different way than you intended to convey. Who is right, who is wrong? It doesn't really matter. But I would still like to extend my apologies.

In any event, I'm glad that the others were able to notice this and point it out accordingly. I like motubs comment "So could we all shake hands and move on? It was an honest mistake on everybody's part."

So once again, thanks to everyone for their assistance and my apologies to those who deserve it.

Play on!
Buschmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote