Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 12:28 AM   #1
The Pirate Queen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I know this forum is mostly guys and this rant I've got brewing is semi-feminist in origin, but I think this is something that affects everyone. Actually, I think if I were a dude, I'd be offended too. So bare with me, please. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now, the current trend in making super hero movies makes me very happy, because god knows I love me some super heroes. But has anyone else noticed a rather... biased trend in these movies themselves? I mean, I loved both Spiderman movies, Batman rocked, and I haven't seen Superman yet but it has every indication of being awesome, but where are the equivilant female super hero movies? Why are the only two movies about chick heroes to come out within the past ten years or so - namely Catwoman and Elektra - so sucktastic they could suck your face CLEAN OFF (ala the Kracken in PotC 2)?

And now, like it isn't bad enough that we've been served these awful movies, there's another coming out that seems to just blatently insult women everywhere. I mean, does the premise of "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" piss you guys off as much as it does me? I dunno, something about it just screams "SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE GIVE GIRLS SUPER POWERS? THEY GO CRAZY AND ABUSE THEM BECAUSE WOMEN ARE *BEEPING* NUTZO AND ARE DEPENDENT ON HAVING MEN IN THEIR LIVES AND THEY CAN'T BE TRUSTED TO USE SUCH POWERS RESPONSIBLY SO GO BACK IN THE KITCHEN, SWEET CHEEKS."

Come on here, it's a movie about a female super hero who, after her boyfriend breaks up with her, proceeds to use her powers to literally physicly and mentaly abuse him. Funny, right? Would it be funny if it was Superman throwing a shark through a window at Lois Lane, or Spiderman leaving Mary Jane to hang off the statue of liberty? I didn't think so.

It's abuse, no matter the gender of the aduser or the abused.

"But Superman and Spiderman would never do those things," you say. Exactly. They are heroes. They are honerable, responsible, and self sacrificing, just what heroes should be. But isn't Uma Thurman's charecter supposed to be a hero too? And she's using her powers to selfish and harmful ends? Dosn't sound very heroic to me.

Being a super hero is more than wearing a cape and flying, folks. Super heroes have always been role models, weather on the comic book page or the movie screen. What sort of role model is this supposed to be? "If your boyfriend breaks up with you, you can go nuts and hurt him because you have GIRL POWAH." Um... no. I was argueing about this on a lj community, and had someone say to me "I think it more says, 'if you mess with a girl, look what can happen to you. take us seriously.'" Once again, um... no. I'd take Uma's charecter seriously if she were, oh I dunno, SAVING PEOPLE LIKE SUPER HEROES ARE SUPPOSED TO, NOT ACTING LIKE AN IMMATURE CHILD.

I think that's all I have to say on this, really. But let me end on a positive note. Joss Whedon is directing an upcoming Wonder Woman movie. I've seen more than one project of his with good, strong, heroic female leads, so hopefully this trend will be broken.

edited by T-D-C: Just taking out the one swear word no biggie [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-13-2006, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]
Old 07-13-2006, 12:55 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'm with you. The promo bits for the Super Ex movie look like they're just going to suck.... royally. I'd really prefer a strong heroine who could stand up as someone to look up to.

Although Catwoman was really a criminal, so she doesn't count as much... but Electra stunk. The female leads in XMen were pretty good, though... but I suspect that Wolverine is going to be the only spin-off. And I haven't seen X-III yet... give me time.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:03 AM   #3
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

In all seriousness, it sounds like it'll be hysterical. The movie that is. I personally don't like the whole super-hero thang and to see something breathe a little life into the genre might actually do it some good. If sexist it be, then you must admit, there's films out there that are doing far worse for womens' image than a little feminine anti-hero comedy.

If Whedon's making Wonder Woman, i'll be watching it. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:18 AM   #4
The Pirate Queen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Wasn't Catwoman a sort-of hero in the movie? I dunno, I can't watch it for more than six seconds before feeling like my brain is going to explode.

The female leads in X-men were pretty cool, but they've yet to make a good movie where the only lead is a superpowered woman. I hadn't heard about a Wolverine movie, but I heard they're making a movie about Magnito's life, which should be cool.

I think it's ok for female villians to be portrayed as crazy. I mean, pretty much all the dude villians are crazy too.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:41 AM   #5
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I think you need to lighten up a bit. My Super Ex-Girlfriend is meant as a comedy, completely different from any 'serious' superhero story.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:44 AM   #6
The Pirate Queen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just don't find abuse funny, is all. *shrug* If it were a male abusing a female, no one else would either.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:53 AM   #7
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I dunno... I guess it's funny because it's a superhero attacking her former boyfriend.
You have a point on the male abusing female thing though.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:12 AM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
I dunno... I guess it's funny because it's a superhero attacking her former boyfriend.
You have a point on the male abusing female thing though.
Pirate Queen is ABSOLUTELY right... Go ahead and imagine a movie about a male superhero stalking his female ex. It'd NEVER happen!! Ugh, this sort of tripe comes out every summer... The thing that gets me is the "Lighten up, it's just a movie" factor.. Yeah, it's a movie, but it contributes to a culture of double-standards and other nastiness.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:54 AM   #9
The Pirate Queen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

(Heh... sorry for the swear there. I gots a mouth like a sailor sometimes.)

That's exactly what I mean. There's this rather scary double standard that seems to permiate our phyche as a whole. I never saw The Wedding Crashers, but isn't Vince Vahn's charecter raped like, twice? And that's supposed to be funny? It's downright scary.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:54 AM   #10
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
Pirate Queen is ABSOLUTELY right... Go ahead and imagine a movie about a male superhero stalking his female ex. It'd NEVER happen!!
Sure it could. It just wouldn't be labelled as a comedy.