Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2003, 11:08 AM   #1
Twid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i installed HOW last night and now everything is minimized.....the size is scaled down to i think..1024x768 size..what gives..anybody know how i can get it back to 800x600...i tried doing it on the setting menu but all it does is blink and do nothing...and whats up with the power shake....
Twid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 11:14 AM   #2
Lymond
Manshoon

What's a power shake?

I forgot about the size thing until you mentioned it. I'm used to it now, but you're right- there's unused space on the right of the screen. I can't help you with it, but you're not alone.

Lymond
Old 10-01-2003, 11:17 AM   #3
Twid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

power shake..when you hit an enemy so hard that the screen starts to vibrate....its really annoying especially when you are trying to click on a monster thats moving..
Old 10-01-2003, 11:32 AM   #4
kroma
Dungeon Master

"Icewind Dale Console" in the START menu...

HoW gives you loads of extra options and they are all configurable in that console.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2003, 11:52 AM   #5
Twid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks man
Old 10-01-2003, 02:53 PM   #6
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

u know u can turn the power shake thing off! its in the options menu as crictical hit screen someting or other i think
Old 10-01-2003, 03:14 PM   #7
NobleNick
Quintesson

Congrats on getting How, Twid! You'll be very, very happy!

The power shake: so outrageously cool! I can't believe you want to disable it! Pausing is not cheating: Just smack the space bar anytime you want to issue a combat command. The action freezes and you can select anything you want with ease and issue orders at your leisure. Hit the space bar again when you want the fight to continue.

You aren't trying to go through this game without the pause button, are you? Reminds me of a guy who almost did just that, cause he didn't realize the key was there. He finally was having such a tough time that he came to the IWD forum for help. All of us on the forum were extremely impressed that he progressed as far as he did; but the game is not designed to be played arcade style.

The scalable screen resolution is great, too. I found the original IWD screen too claustrophobic. And speaking of screen shakes: I got sea sick watching the screen jump around to the various characters during combat. One jump up in resolution virtually ends the annoying screen jumps and lets you see the entire combat scene without that tiresome scrolling, for most fights. This feature is the best thing about HoW, and is worth the purchase even if HoW hadn't made all the other improvements it does!

Don't forget: Your alt key now highlights all the goodies, doors, levers, and etc. that have been discovered and are within your party's sight. TotLM (free 72MB download) patches HoW/IWD. Bards ROCK with HoW installed! (Buy the Bardic Horn of Valhalla for your Bard --> you'll be very glad you did!) Druids are much, much better also. You now have HoF mode available, though you won't need it for a while if you have HoW and TotLM.

Enjoy.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!

[ 10-01-2003, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 03:53 PM   #8
Twid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So how do you start the game over using your current team? i need to do this over..i think i missed alot of stuff...since im usually rushing towards the boss [img]tongue.gif[/img] ...
Old 10-02-2003, 08:46 AM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

You can use your existing party as follows:

If you actually finished the game (met Big B, defeated him and all that) the game will AUTOMATICALLY export all of the characters in your party. The trick is that are labeled as IWD1 thru IWD6 (or IWDHOW1 thru IWDHOW6 if you finished with Heart of winter installed when you finished).

Simply choose NEW GAME, and when you get to the character creation screen select IMPORT and then import each of the IWD1 thru IWD6 characters. That will create a party with all of your previous characters at the beginning.

Important Note: NONE of the quest items OR containers (Scroll cases, Potion Cases, Gem bags AND Bags of Holding) of ANY sort will be in the imported characters inventory. IWD / HOW / TOLM does NOT save those when your character is exported. If you want to save any items inside those containers you will have to reload the final autosave, take those items out of the containers and put them in the character inventory, and then re-export your characters.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 08:58 AM   #10
NobleNick
Quintesson

Twid,

(Sigh.) Used to know the answer to that question, but its been too long since I made the switch from IWD to IWD/HoW. I am pretty sure you can import them into the new game; but am not sure of all the implications of doing so.

Your idea of starting a whole new party sounds good. Or just start a new game with some new characters and import the ones from your old party that you want to keep.

Edit: Micah Foehammer slipped in a message whilst I was composing this one.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!

[ 10-02-2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote