Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2002, 04:41 PM   #1
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

Okay, here goes.
I am a Barbarian level 14 in Chap. 3, and I have a problem. I used to have over 70,000 gp, but I needed protection from the elements so I bought the Lesser Ring of Power. Then I thought I needed protection from Level Drain, Disease, and Poison, so I bought the Amulet of Health. My Swoard Saint katana +1 wasn't doing too well vs. creatures with damage reduction, so I bought a Katana +3. Now I have barely 18,000 gp. My AC is dangerously low because I am usualy wearing either the Armor of Horus-Re or some other family armor one, forgot the name, which protects against mind spells and effects. Also, the Ring of Power replaced the Ring of Protection +2, so that lowered it a bit. Should I take off my ring of Cyan and lose lighting and put the Ring of Protection on? Is all that stuff I bought necessary?
Old 08-01-2002, 05:06 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I think the amulet of health is great, I have one (actually I have the greater amulet of health, it has regeneration too, lovely ). IMHO you don't really need protection from elements, I don't have that and I can't disarm traps so I trigger them myself and I've only died once I think (reloaded and didn't die the second time). So I wouldn't say your ring of power is essential. I do like to have light though, and if your ring of cyan is all you have for light then I'd go with that instead of the ring of power. However you should find (or be able to buy soon enough) items that combine light with other abilities, for instance I use the greater mask of persuasion which gives charisma, persuausion and something else bonuses as well as light.

Now as for your AC, you should (unless you've sold them) have lots of potions of barkskin by now - use them! They pump your AC up very well. Also, although you can't afford them now, you'll get more money soon enough, so invest in some boots and/or cloak that will increase your AC as well. For example I use a cloak of fortification and boots of hardiness; they also increase constitution as well [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2002, 05:28 PM   #3
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

This is what confuses me also,if you add a cloak of pro.and a ring of pro. it says you can't stack ac so how do you get higher ac? In regards to ques. I would get rid of cyan ring and get another skill or ability + rings.I'm not to clear on all these D&D rules as I never played paper and pen.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:02 PM   #4
AndyG
Elminster

Are you using a shield or are you dual wielding? Adding on a large shield at +2 or +3 gives you an easy 4 or 5 ac.

Look for items you are already using that have light. I know of shields, helmets and staves that have light as one of their properties.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 10:16 PM   #5
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by john:
This is what confuses me also,if you add a cloak of pro.and a ring of pro. it says you can't stack ac so how do you get higher ac? In regards to ques. I would get rid of cyan ring and get another skill or ability + rings.I'm not to clear on all these D&D rules as I never played paper and pen.
You find items that give different types of bonuses. For example a ring of protection and a amulet of natural armor will both stack with regular armor as they're different types of bonuses. All these will also stack with a shield. On top of this certain items give a dodge bonus to armor class, which also stacks with all of the above. The description of the item says what type of bonus it gives- armor, shield, natural armor, dodge, deflection. Different types will stack.

To answer the main question, ditch the ring of protection and get a cloak of fortification instead. It adds to your saving throws too. You could also try the boots of reflexes or bracers of dexterity, both increase your dexterity, thereby increasing your ac. Unfortunately barabarians have low ac. Seeing you're only using a katana grab a shield, the good ones will add 4 or 5 to your ac and some have good special abilities too.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:20 PM   #6
DraconisRex

Bonuses:

There are five categories of bonuses:

Armour, Shield, Dodge, Deflection and Natural. You get the highest in each category.

For example, an amulet of natural armour +3 (natural) and a ring of protection +3 (deflection) will give you +6. However, bracers +2 (armour) and that storm armour (+3 armour) will only give you +3 as bonuses in the same categories do not stack.

Now, as far as light is concerned, I think it's over-rated. And it makes it hard to hide in shadows...
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 09:45 AM   #7
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

Well, I use a Large Shield +2. Still, my AC is usually between 22 and 26. That sucks. I like the ring of power because it regenerates you. I need AC, but I also need lighting, so I cannot choose whether to wear the Ring of Cyan or the Ring of Protection +2. I am not wearing boots, and am wearing the Greater CLoak of Protection vs. Good. I am wearing for a helm a Thayvian Circlet, for a belt a Girdle of Hill Giant Strength, and for gauntlets I am wearing the Gloves of Dicipline. For an Amulet I am wearing the Amulet of Health. I am wearing either the Armor of Horus-Re or that weird Family Armor (forgot the name) that protects against mind spells. I really need lighting, I am (supposedly) a human (actually drow, but that sub-races are treated as human) so I cannot see in the dark. In my inventory (which I can use) are:

Watchman's Helm
Glittering Necklace
Full Plate +1
Whitebone Armor
Katana +2
Flail of Destruction
Two 2-bladed swords (forgot names, one does fire damage, one gives skill bonuses)
Golden Circlet
Will of the Lost (club)
Scythe of Nature

That's about it. I have a few more, but they are in my bags of holding (which I almost never look into) and forgot their names. Would any of these (equipped) make my Char better?
Old 08-02-2002, 10:59 AM   #8
AndyG
Elminster

Here's an option, take a level of sorceror at your next level up. They get a cantrip, light. You'll be able to cast it a few times between resting. Just cast it on yourself after you rest, and you can ditch the light giving equipment.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 11:10 AM   #9
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

I'd get a better cloak first off, how many good things are you goint to fight that you'll want protection from?? If you get a cloak of protection or fortification you won't need the ring of protection so you can keep the light ring.
Then I'd definitely get boots, maybe the boots of striding to give you more hitpoints.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:28 AM   #10
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyG:
Here's an option, take a level of sorceror at your next level up. They get a cantrip, light. You'll be able to cast it a few times between resting. Just cast it on yourself after you rest, and you can ditch the light giving equipment.
Thank you. I didn't know that. I've been running my character for about 9,000 experience points, and didn't know that I got light as a cantrip. Will have to check that out. Up til now, I've either been using scrolls or been going without. I used to use a ring of scholars (gives off good light), but found a ring of lesser power (regenerative quality) and I use a Ring of Prot +3. I'm at work, so can't try it out yet, but that would be cool.