Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 06:52 PM   #1
robohobodude
The Magister

This is the Single Player group I have used all the way through Baldur's Gate 2: SoA and ToB. First, my main character is a Kensai that I dualed to Mage once he reached 9th level, who uses dual katanas (Dak'kon's Zerth Blade and Celestial Fury. Also, improved Hindo's Doom for spell abilites). He wears Vecna's Robes, Amulet of Power, and Ring of Gaxx.

Second person is Minsc, dual-wielding Crom Faeyr and Flail of the Ages (with the Runehammer for Undead). Third is Keldorn using Carsomyr (of course). Third is Imoen (a decent mage though a level lower then the rest of group because of time lost while in Asylum). Fourth is Nalia, also a good mage. Finally there is Aerie, both a decent mage and cleric. Imoen and Nalia provide most of the wizardly fire power while Aerie can cast just about any buff that your group would need (and at high levels, can cast enough to buff entire group with practically every buff such as Death Ward and Chaotic Commands).

Minsc and Keldorn make very good tanks and weapons capable of hitting just about anything. My main character acts as both fighter and wizard, using spells such as Stoneskin, Mirror Image, Spirit Armor and most importantly Tenser's Transformation to turn himself into a killing machine (though he doesn't have the best weapons and sometimes can't hit all creatures). Wearing Vecna's Robes and the Amulet of Power he can cast any needed emergency spell (such as Breach, Lower Resistance, etc.) virtually instantaneously with almost no chance of being interrupted.

Very nice party loved playing with them although some heavy spellcasting
Old 06-20-2002, 07:36 PM   #2
drewal
Drow Warrior

Took this party all the way through to end of TOB.

Myself - swashbuckler dual wielding longswords and katanas
Minsc - wielding two handed swords
Jaheira - wielding slings and clubs, though I never found a really good club
Aerie - Wielding Flail of Ages with girdle of giant strength
Imoen - Short bow
Edwin - some junk dagger or staff

Only one real tank, but I'd summon a lot of creatures. Fire elementals summoned by Jaheira provided outstanding tanks early in SOA.

When Imoen was gone I used Nalia.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:42 PM   #3
Alson
Galvatron

My No more then Leather Armor group:

1. Stalker(13)->Cleric, backstabing with clubs and staves, dual-wielding flails. Wearing leather of course.
2. Fighter/Mage, dual-wielding katanas, wearing robes.
3. Fighter/Thief, Wearing leather, too.
4. Barbarian, using Axe and a sheild, wearing - you're right - leather! [img]smile.gif[/img]
5. Archer, sniping with longbows. You know what he's wearing .
6. Sorcerer, spellslinging with the Robe of Vecna...

Having a team with something in common is so much fun!

Besides, Plates are for losers
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Old 06-20-2002, 08:30 PM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

My group the first time through:

Me (CG Elven Archer)- Using mostly longbows, but in melee dual wielding Foesbane and Axe of the Unyielding (though he would switch to Azuredge against undead)

Minsc - He was using the Ravager, though he switched to Mace of Disruption against undead. Backed up Archer with the long bow.

Anomen - Dualwielding Crom Faeyr and Flail of Ages, he was actually my main tank (put gauntlets of dexterity, good armor, and the ring of gaxx on him, and he makes a solid tank). He used his spells for buffing and for precombat summons, as well as postcombat healing (we used the (many) healing potions during combat).

Aerie - Wielding Staff of the Magi (to keep her safe) and Robe of Vecna (to have both fast cleric and mage spells), she was quite nasty in my party. Would switch to sling of everard for missile support. She would occasionally lend out the staff to Imoen when I needed Imoen to sneak around. Aerie concentrated her cleric spells on extra summons for during combat, offensive spells like Holy Smite and Storm of Vengeance, and some summons. Mage spells concentrated on Breaching spells, with some summons and attack spells. In other words, a perfect support character.

Nalia - wearing the +5 chainmail that gives immunity to normal weapons (forget the name) and wielding the staff of the ram, she was actually quite lethal when the party got flanked. She stuck with Tasheron's Bow throughout the game. She had most of the mage buffing spells memorized, along with attack spells, major summons, and some breaching.

Imoen - wore robe of the good archmage, and wielding gesen bow and celestial fury (for backstabbing). In addition to thieving, she was the main mage, with well-rounded spell selection.

Actually, when I played the game, I relied mostly on fighting, using magic only when necessary. However, when we did use our magic, we REALLY put a hurting on opponents. There were only a few fights that were really tough, but they are the same ones everyone else says are tough. Otherwise, we annihilated Firkragg, the Shadow Dragon, even the Twisted Rune and Slavers (with some strategy, of course ). I actually used Yoshimo instead of Imoen until I got her back (hey, Good is hurting for thieves in this game).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 06-20-2002, 08:44 PM   #5
Sorcerer Alex

Myself - Bard
Minsc - Ranger
Anomen - Fighter/Cleric
Valygar - Stalker
Keldorn - Paladin
Imoen - Mage/Thief

I like this party because the members are all of good alignment and they are quite varied with regards to class and therefore abilities and capabilities. Armed with the right equipment, this party is really quite effective and they generally complement each other quite well [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-21-2002, 12:03 AM   #6
drewal
Drow Warrior

I am going through BG1-BGII-BG-TOB for the second time with an all-mage party. I can undoubtably say that it is not the "perfect party" as an agressive snow wolf can usually kill at least a couple of us.

Right now the party is:
Myself - NE Necromancer
Edwin
Imoen - dualed to mage immediately
Xar

We will add Xan to our ranks soon, increasing our power immesurably (i.e. we can take out three kobolds at a time).

Playing this way is a real challenge. Perhaps I will repost when I reach TOB. By that point, an all-mage party may be getting close to the perfect party.
Old 06-21-2002, 05:13 AM   #7
Radek
Red Dragon

Three custom dual class characters:
1. Ranger/CLERIC - NG, dualled immediately at the beginning of the game. Two weapons 3+, flail, mace, warhammer, club, sling ++. Crom Faeyr, Mace of Disruption, Scullcrusher, Blackblood, Flail of Ages, Wyvern's Tail, Sling of Everard. Armor made from Firkraag. Simple custom script derived from the paladin script by removing all blocks except those for melee and ranged fight.
2. Kensai/MAGE - NG, dualled at level 9, 2H weapon ++, staff 5+, axe 3+, Dagger +, Staff of Rynn, Staff of Magi, Azuredge and Rifthome Axe set to throwing axe. Robe of Vecna, Amulet of Power. The same custom script.
3. Swashbuckler/FIGHTER - NG, dualled immediately at the beginning of the game, Disarm Traps and Detect Traps 100, the rest goes to Pickpocketing. Two weapons 3+, short bow ++, the rest goes to katanas and long swords. Celestial Fury, Daystar and other good longswords and katanas in the game, Tansheron's Bow. Armor made from the Shadow Dragon and other good leather armors in the game. The same custom script except for a block that allows him to detect traps permanently if there are no monsters in sight. Otherwise, the guy stops to search for traps and starts to fight.
Old 06-21-2002, 05:15 AM   #8
Metal Gear
Elite Waterdeep Guard

( before I get to spell hold after I kick Valygar until I get Imoen's soul back then I get Valygar back because I already have 3 mages classes in my group)
Myself - Conjuror
Minsc - Ranger
Aerie - Mage/Cleric
Valygar - Stalker
Keldorn - Paladin
Yan - Illusionist/Thief

I am lawful good and have a reputation of 20 so only Yan complains about the group the rest like it.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:13 AM   #9
Maxamus
Manshoon

Myslef- Assasin NE
Viconia
Edwin
Keldorn

and sometimes a neutral druid, but very rare
Old 06-21-2002, 07:54 AM   #10
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxamus:
Myslef- Assasin NE
Viconia
Edwin
Keldorn

and sometimes a neutral druid, but very rare
LOL, Keldorn in a evil party... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, my perfect party:

Me--> Cavalier
Keldorn--> Inquisitor
Nalia--> Mage/Thief
Minsc--> Ranger
Aerie--> Cleric/Mage
Anomen--> Fighter/Cleric

Not too good magic-support, so it became more hack 'n slash, just the way I like it.
Closed Thread