Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2001, 12:54 AM   #1
Ziroc

I've read some posts here in the past about bugs being worse if you install DirectX 8.0. If you have W&W, and are using DirectX with Hardware Acceleration ON, please reply and let me know how its doing?

I've had no problems with it on my nVidia Geforce2 64mb card using DirectX 7.5, and I want to keep playing W&W in the future, so lemme know.

Thanks,

Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
Old 03-19-2001, 01:45 AM   #2
Matri
Elite Waterdeep Guard

DirectX 7.5? Never heard of it.

Using DirectX 8.0a with GLSetup on my Creative Labs Savage4 32MB AGP.
The only problems I've encountered is when I use Illuminate. Causes short passageways to be completely engulfed in darkness while everywhere else brightens a few notches. Thank goodness for the mini-map!
Matri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 07:46 AM   #3
woodelf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was pleasantly surprised that my computer runs W&W so well, actually. I have DirectX8.0a and a Voodoo3 2000 which crashed Diablo2, AoK, and others. Thankfully it has run this game without problem.
woodelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 10:18 AM   #4
Valiant
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I"m using a voodoo 3 3000 in windows millenium and my game plays fine with direct X 8. My game crashes in certain places like in the inns and some other places but I think that may be something to do with the patch since its beta. I'm not totally positive but it works good with me..

Valiant
Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 12:40 PM   #5
Druadic
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Zeroc,

This is a great thing to talk about. Believe me or not, I'm running Direct X 6.0 and not having a single problem. Just checked. I can't understand why it's running, but it does! I also use a ATI Rage 128 with 32MB of memory and since I haven't updated the drivers I DO get some small problems with light as well. Doesn't bother me though. I can cast Illuminate and I get dark, black blocks that don't refresh fast enough. I KNOW IT'S NOT AN ERROR; it's my card! So, I can't blame DW for this. It's MY fault. I have to update my driver which I'm going to do now.

Otherwise EVERYTHING WORKS without a hitch. Yes folks, there ARE a few bugs in the game, but I have finished ALL the areas for the town of Isbad N'ha and I'm leaving the castle ruins and going to the town to finish this area. What a great game - can't get enough!

PS: There are so many versions of Driect X it's mind boggling. I really think the folks who worte it have no clue as to what is REALLY going on. They have to SIT DOWN, LOOK AT ALL THE VIDEO CARDS and then write it. People are having so many problems! I think one REAL REASON is thier systems ARE NOT configured correctly with the swapfile and CLEAN memory. This ends ALOT of frustration since I did it BEFORE I installed the game. Then Direct X can run properly. Hope this helps someone. Thanks again Zeroc - LOVE YOUR POSTS!!!

Sincerely;
Druadic
"Lost in the forests of Wizards and Warriors"
Druadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 02:48 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ziroc,

I just checked my system setup, and lo and behold, it's DirectX 8.0. This is my fourth playthrough without a hitch.

Are we SURE that the problems are DirectX 8.0 related that others have experienced?

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 08:16 AM   #7
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Ziroc,

I just checked my system setup, and lo and behold, it's DirectX 8.0. This is my fourth playthrough without a hitch.

Are we SURE that the problems are DirectX 8.0 related that others have experienced?
-Sazerac
I just installed DirectX 8.0a, and everything SEEMS ok so far.. I HAVE had 4 lock-ups in Heart of Winter (And I usually NEVER have problems) but it could have been the OpenGL drivers. (Just upgraded them again and seems ok so far)

Ziroc

Old 03-20-2001, 09:38 PM   #8
wyrdwa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi. RE: directX 7.5+. I'm trying to play with Windows Millenium and directx 8.
Nothing works. can't even get out of the town without freezing. Will it just not run on millenium do you think?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:

I've read some posts here in the past about bugs being worse if you install DirectX 8.0. If you have W&W, and are using DirectX with Hardware Acceleration ON, please reply and let me know how its doing?

I've had no problems with it on my nVidia Geforce2 64mb card using DirectX 7.5, and I want to keep playing W&W in the future, so lemme know.

Thanks,

Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
wyrdwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 09:43 PM   #9
Gaius Pecunia
Dungeon Master

WindowsME is not the problem. I've played for at least 100 hours and NEVER had a crash. I run ME and have an iVidia GeForce 64MB. I'll check my DirectX.
Gaius Pecunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 09:49 PM   #10
Gaius Pecunia
Dungeon Master

I should have said nVidia GeForce2 64MB (same as Ziroc). Although I thought I had a clue, I have realized that I don't know how to check my version of DirectX. Let me know and I'll tell you what I have.
Gaius Pecunia is offline   Reply With Quote