Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2002, 04:21 PM   #11
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

They rate SoA at 200+ hours. Sure was for me, first time through.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 08:52 PM   #12
Cornelius
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by fable:
The gameplay and plot sucked in BG2...? Goodness, have we been playing the same BG2? I mean, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but when you ask a question that derives from an acceptance of that statement, and the statement itself flies in the face of both sales figures and the consensus of CRPG players' opinions, you've got a bit of explaining to do. BG2 has been the most popular and successful PC-based CRPG of all times. Gameplay-wise, it is a much richer product than BG1, offering--

a) A greater variety of quests (less of the purely FedX type)
b) More interesting party NPCs, often with their own, more complex quests than in BG1
c) Choices that allow you to take sides in major conflicts
d) A greater role for alignment (not that I like it, but it *is* there)
e) Far better movement algorithms
f) Less of the annoying, endless walking across empty wilderness
g) A more complex antagonist with a more interesting background and friends
h) More puzzles
i) Larger dungeons
j) Better map annotations.
k) A better method of tracking information
l) Much more dialog to make NPCS seem "real"

As for your question: NWN will focus on a single character, not a group. You'll have a follower or two, but they really won't be major NPCs as before. This is a deliberate decision, and one I frankly regret that Bioware has taken. Still, if they're doing the game, I'm willing to bet it will contain everything else that has made BG2 so justifiably popular. IMHO.
Although I never played TOB, the quest in BG2 was lame IMO. I mean, you had to kill some guy who was doing "experiments" on you, and who was TOTALLY irrelevant to the BG1 plot...
~Cornelius~<br /><br /><br /><br />-=PROGRESS QUEST=-<br />This awesome, totally free, MMO/S RPG plays itself! Now you can do some useful work somewhere else without ever leaving your elven archer @$$ behind! Try it today!<br />[url]\"http://www.progressquest.com\" target=\"_blank\">Progress Quest</a><br /><br />[url]\"http://www.geocities.com/eskie_icy\" target=\"_blank\">My Dog\'s Page!</a>
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 09:53 PM   #13
Aramil Galanodel
Dungeon Master

of course the person who kidnaped your childhood friend, and was experimenting on you in order to awaken and then steal your divine soul, and you learn posses knowledge on how to unlock your inner powers isnt a very good motivation at all. and the fact that you finally become aware what truely lurks inside you demonstrating your centrality to the prophecy given by alundo that was btw stated in candlekeep at the start of bg1, as you then have to reclaim your soul and become launched even farther into the fray as it leads into ToB as the prophecy comes to its conclusion, your right that has nothing to do with BG1

[ 04-26-2002, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Aramil Galanodel ]
Aramil Galanodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 01:23 AM   #14
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

The main thing about NWN is the fact you will have interaction with other players and DMs. It's a real chance to roleplay in an otherwise sterile CRPG environment. That's the thing I look forward to- roleplay that makes sense for your character rather than being force fed a rigid plot.

For example, I am going to play a prostitute rogue character on a persistent world server ring. I plan on going on almost no major "quests," but rather intend on skulking in the streets on the bad side of some town and stealing and turning tricks. It will be a refreshing change to the forced marches on endless quests in order to get the "finish" point of a linear game. If this game is half as flexible as we hope, it will be groundbreaking.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:19 AM   #15
fable
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Katherine:
The main thing about NWN is the fact you will have interaction with other players and DMs. It's a real chance to roleplay in an otherwise sterile CRPG environment. That's the thing I look forward to- roleplay that makes sense for your character rather than being force fed a rigid plot.
Well, but this is the old singleplayer vs multiplayer argument, all over again. I think there is much to be said for both sides of the coin--and against both, too.

You refer to CRPGs as sterile environments; and certainly that's true, to the extent that you wish to roleplay and grow a character whose actions lie outside the very narrow possibilities supported by a goal-oriented, singleplayer game. However, a multiplayer environment doesn't automatically mean that your options for roleplaying are any broader, save for dialog. I've been on many formula MUDs that were just as restrictive towards roleplaying as the narroweest standalone games. In my experience (and I've been playing since the early 1980s), the broadest options were in text-based MUD spinoffs like DragonRealms--but I'm prejudiced. I worked for 'em for four years in my sparetime.

I know that we tried to build in as many options as possible for the RPGer. We used to run fairs periodically, and I made up close to a dozen merchants with enormous stocks of items drawing their inspiration from various cultures. Much of the stuff they sold was pure RPG; even when it had magical effects, the effects were often as not intended to amuse, entertain, and add provide RPG "hooks" for players. I even built apartment flats (when we added player-purchasable housing) that deliberately sought to create a distinctive, non-Western cultural feel. I attempted to avoid doing the "Celtic thing" or the "AD&D thing" as much as possible.

I strongly suspect that NWN will definitely contain the AD&D thing--not that this is bad, but it shows the inherent limitations of graphical environments over text-based ones: words are largely eliminated as one of the most basic building blocks. This leaves me wondering how much roleplaying NWN can truly allow. Oh, I think it will be great, and provide a ton of scenarios very quickly that are ingeniously user-built. But I question whether the multiplayer aspect of NWN will truly open up a venue for roleplayers. Unless there are tons of non-goal-oriented things around to do, I imagine we'll have the same rewards-for-finishing-killing-quests that predominate in most standalone games.

Note, Katherine, you may want to check out Morrowind. Although it is standalone only, I am extremely impressed with its "freeform" aspect. Many quests have nothing to do with killing. It's possible to all but "win" the final conflict--or ignore the main plot, in fact--and never kill anything in the game. I've seen tons of RPG items. Well worth checking out.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 04:30 PM   #16
Cornelius
Dungeon Master

I don't see what the argument is about since any RPG allows you to play single-player or multiplayer, with the same in-depth adventure.

[ 04-27-2002, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Cornelius ]
~Cornelius~<br /><br /><br /><br />-=PROGRESS QUEST=-<br />This awesome, totally free, MMO/S RPG plays itself! Now you can do some useful work somewhere else without ever leaving your elven archer @$$ behind! Try it today!<br />[url]\"http://www.progressquest.com\" target=\"_blank\">Progress Quest</a><br /><br />[url]\"http://www.geocities.com/eskie_icy\" target=\"_blank\">My Dog\'s Page!</a>
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 01:58 AM   #17
Kelsoph-Syn-
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I think NWN will dominate online and perhaps offline gaming for years to come.

I guess you'd had to have played the traditional tabletop to understand the extremity and longingness towards this game. I haven't been able to play any games for the last 3 months... they all seem boring. I just can't get NWN out of my mind... I wasn't so serious until I found a really good enviroment of people that I could roleplay with on NWN.

Check it out if you want.
Norworld

[ 04-29-2002, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: Kelsoph-Syn- ]
Old 04-29-2002, 02:03 AM   #18
Kelsoph-Syn-
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Another way to look at it may be like this -

If you have ever played Half-life, you know it was a fairly good single player game. But it got boring quick. But the single player is not what made Half-life popular, game of the year for many years... etc. It was the user created mods like Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, and Firearms. I feel much will be the same with Neverwinter Nights.

The customizable ability of this game will be "To-Die-For."
Old 05-14-2002, 10:37 AM   #19
Debaser

Cornelius~

how you could say that BG2 was lacking in plot and gameplay is completely beyond me!
i have never played a better RPG, or GAME for that matter, ever since it came out. i'm hoping NWN will be something special for me to sink my teeth into, but the basis of comparison will no doubt be BGII and Throne of Bhaal. They set the amazing precedent for any RPG coming out today, and definitely for NWN.

are you sure you played the same Baldurs Gate II as the rest of us?
Old 05-20-2002, 08:47 PM   #20
Lek Dukagjin
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelsoph-Syn-:
Another way to look at it may be like this -

If you have ever played Half-life, you know it was a fairly good single player game. But it got boring quick
Blasphemy!