Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 08:02 PM   #1
mitchperry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am on my way to beat the shade lord and before i go in to fight him there is a dragon, is there any way to beat him, or do i just leave him alone and go straight to the shade lord?
mitchperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

He's certainly killable, but only by a party that knows what it's doing at a low level.

If you're below level 10 and haven't had much dragon-killing experience then I would give it a miss. If you do decide to go for it, then watch out for those level draining attacks.

You always have power word:reload if you want to see how you would fare. And you can come back for him later if you so desire...

[ 07-24-2005, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

The dragon is a hard fight, but is by far the easiest dragon in the game. If you ever want the experience of killing a dragon, this is the first step. I would recomend taking it on.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #4
Cam_H
Zhentarim Guard

Mild Spoiler
I would at least take out the Shade Lord, which allows you a second 'escape spot' once cleared if you do decide to take on Thaxll'ssillvia and you happen to be badly wounded and on the western side of the cavern. Furthermore, a party member might just score a level up with the experience gained from the Shade Lord fight.

With respect to Marty4, I lean more towards shamrock_uk's advice depending upon the playing difficulty level (can your NPCs get chunked?), the Levels of your party members, and your preparedness to tackle a 'relatively tough' creature with level drain capacity.
Cam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:34 PM   #5
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam_H:
Mild Spoiler
I would at least take out the Shade Lord, which allows you a second 'escape spot' once cleared if you do decide to take on Thaxll'ssillvia and you happen to be badly wounded and on the western side of the cavern. Furthermore, a party member might just score a level up with the experience gained from the Shade Lord fight.

With respect to Marty4, I lean more towards shamrock_uk's advice depending upon the playing difficulty level (can your NPCs get chunked?), the Levels of your party members, and your preparedness to tackle a 'relatively tough' creature with level drain capacity.
You're right, I'm not really thinking through things tonight. However, if the party is, say, lvl 10-ish, I heavily recomend the experience (of the gamer, not the characters) of taking down the dragon now.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:53 AM   #6
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

you can always leave the dragon alone and come back for him later when your group is stronger. He'll sti right there for you [img]tongue.gif[/img]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:05 AM   #7
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

He has some very nice loot though. Definately worth killing him as soon as possible. Also, from memory hes worth 49,000 experience which is nothing to sneeze at.

Dragon killing tips are covered elsewhere, do a search.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
bakrus
The Magister

well.. the most important thing is to save the game often, and of course you know that. but while i played all the games of the forgotten realms series, i learned one thing, since i got stuck all the time and no one could help me... try many times inthil you are pleased with the way you defeated a creature, just like this dragon.. so offence is your best defence... and thats the way you should beat him... and remember to have a couple of restoration scrolls or spells before you engage in this battle and further on your journey.. good luck!
Old 07-24-2005, 07:22 PM   #9
Cam_H
Zhentarim Guard

mitchperry,

I think we've reached the point where you'll have to tell us what your party's composition is, and particularly what protections you have against level drain (e.g. do you have the Amulet of Power and if so who's wearing it? Mace of Disruption +2? Is your PC an Undead Hunter by any chance?).

Regarding "is there any way to beat him", as WhiteLancer says, "Dragon killing tips are covered elsewhere, do a search" while sounding a bit offhandish is actually good advice, although with more details on your party, I'm sure there will be no end to the suggestions.
Cam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:23 PM   #10
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Yeah, a good search will bring up tips on all the old favourites, Firky, Kangy etc
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote