Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2003, 08:36 PM   #1
Lavindathar
Harper

Was wondering if anyone could point me to a good English based (or English speaking at least)Warhammer forum.

I want to start it up again.

Or if anyone wants to email me @ Lavindathar@realityproject.com for a chat, it'd be appreciated!
Old 01-22-2003, 08:42 PM   #2
GokuZool
Lord Ao

What do you collect?

I used to collect Lizardmen but then I started to play Warhammer 40k. I have a pretty big army of Chaos Space Marines

It became to expensive so I stopped [img]tongue.gif[/img]

One of my metal dreadnoughts cost $79! Bah [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 01-22-2003, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 01-22-2003, 08:47 PM   #3
Lavindathar
Harper

Used to do Lizardmen, but I dunno even where they are now, so was gonna start from scratch.

Old 01-23-2003, 06:10 AM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

Try the games workshop community at www.games-workshop.com . It's the most active and up-to-date forum I know of, although the quality of replies seems to shift between 'very useful' and 'absolute rubbish' quite a lot. It's almost like a game of chance...
Old 01-23-2003, 07:18 AM   #5
Grungi
Banned User

havent played warhammer stuff in soooo long, used to paint minatures, and collect all sorts of armies, my mate won golden demon once, superb painter, the detail he got was amazing, still i never lost at warhammer battling [img]smile.gif[/img] so at least i could beat him on that score [img]tongue.gif[/img]

id love to get back into it, only problem i had was theres nowhere to play it, go to games workshop or places like that and its full of kids who cant paint their minatures are bought 100s of quids worth of stuff by their parents but dont know how to use it, so when you end up in battles it takes 10 times as long because they dont know their own armies plus it looks pretty horrible when a load of unpainted miniatures are slapped down on the table. Spoiled it for me kids did i love it for the tactics and strategy, but it just got so dumbed down, and then things like white wolf went bad too as they started catering for children, look at the early issues of white wolf, the humour was very adult, they even had comic strips in it which were pretty gory at times or of an adult nature, remember thrudd the barbarian anyone? (think that was his name [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) because of this shift towards younger people and the dumbing down of the rules and everything else, all the older and original players gave up on it, and considered it "sad" or for losers which is very upsetting for me cos i still want to play it

then the silly goits decided to bring out the same game slightly reworked every year just to make more money, it unfortunately went from being the brainchild of livingstone and jackson where it was a labour of love to basically yet another capitalistic takeover resulting in an expensive product which changed yearly, i dont even know whats happened to it in the last 5 years, im still using the original warhammer boxed set [img]tongue.gif[/img] the one with goblins and high elves in it, also got the original epic boxed set too, and very old codex for warhammer 40k , dont know why they changed the system (apart from the money factor) cos it was damned good as it was. argrhgrghrhg damn the capitalistss and the kids, spoiling the game i loved

anyone in the portsmouth area of england who fancies taking on my dwarf army? [img]smile.gif[/img]
i think i still got lying around a huge pointage dwarf army, pretty much an orc army too, space marine army, old epic scale space marine, squat, eldar and orc armies. Tyranid and space orc armies as well in 40k , heh got loads in fact [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2003, 09:29 AM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Drat - I just sold my lizardman army a couple of months ago, or I'd offer it up. [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

I do 40K, and my Ultramarines will give anyone in the Chicago area a stomping if they're up for it. Or, I'll stomp ya with my Eldar.

I also recently got into the epic version of fantasy (forget the name right now) It looked really cool, but then I moved and lost my Warhammer buddy, so now my skeleton army is slowly decaying.

Yeah, the Games-Workshop.com forum is a great place to start. I don't have my favorites on the computer, but there are some other good forums. Go to alltheweb and do a search.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:39 AM   #7
Grungi
Banned User

original lizardmen? the slaad? or the newer ones? [img]tongue.gif[/img] heh see i like the old stuff, though i must admit the original lizardmen/slaad models were pretty poor in comparison with the new.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:58 PM   #8
Lavindathar
Harper

Thanx guys, I'll check it all out later tonight!

P.S - You guys get some pictures of your armies up!
Old 01-23-2003, 02:11 PM   #9
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungi:

then the silly goits decided to bring out the same game slightly reworked every year just to make more money, it unfortunately went from being the brainchild of livingstone and jackson where it was a labour of love to basically yet another capitalistic takeover resulting in an expensive product which changed yearly, i dont even know whats happened to it in the last 5 years, im still using the original warhammer boxed set [img]tongue.gif[/img] the one with goblins and high elves in it, also got the original epic boxed set too, and very old codex for warhammer 40k , dont know why they changed the system (apart from the money factor) cos it was damned good as it was. argrhgrghrhg damn the capitalistss and the kids, spoiling the game i loved

[img]smile.gif[/img] Things have changed, Grungi... Warhammer's been changed, sure, but only twice in the past eight years; and not due for another shift anytime soon. most GWstores (my one, anyway) are fighting to give old hands a chance, and the Veteran's Nights are proving to be more popular than the regular Gaming Nights. Unpainted models are usually not allowed for anyone, except on specific training days (or for staff )

If you want to play Warhammer... the game hasn't changed all that much. You'll pick up the changes in no time, especially if you're a Dwarf player (it's mostly Magic that was reworked). Go in to your nearest store, ask around, see when things are done.

As for Jackson and Livingstone...? I think they sold GW to Citadel Miniatures in 1982 and went off to pioneer Fighting Fantasy. It's the same guys at the helm of Warhammer as it's always been, ever.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:35 PM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Dunno, Tancred. I certainly think they put out so much so quick - rules are VERY difficult to keep up with. I had to maintain a subscription to White Dwarf or not know the army I was facing. New Codexes all the time, including super-specialty ones like the most recent Battle for Armageddon. Plus, they jacked up the mini prices a few times in a row. A single space marine termie will run you in the $11 range these days, and a character will cost ya $15.

And I don't like their "28-35 mm" scale, which is truly more on the order of 40mm. But, the figs do look awesome. I paint individual bullets on gun belts different colors and usually shade at least 3 colors on such things as goggles.

And, at GW tourneys you can only use GW minis - new rule about 1 yr ago.

Most of all, the factory in TN where they crank out their minis is not exactly the most expensive thing on the planet to run.

GW has a great game, a wonderful development/marketing team, and some of the best looking figs. But they are in fact greedy bastards to the max.

No discount ever in a GW store, BTW, which is why I'll go to the other end of the same mall and buy from a hobby store offering a 10-15% discount. And, one where you can really get a great deal if you up and say "I'm buying an army today, what kinda deal will you give me?"