Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2003, 07:38 AM   #11
Jizumonkey

Quote:
Ok, seriously... what exactly is the bad thing about developing a technology that prevent countries from getting hit by missiles? It seem to me that it would only help peace, not war. If no one can shoot nukes at each other, they the world is a lot safer.

It just seem to me that china don't want that to happen, because like they said, they are becoming a superpower, so it's not in their interest to see the world become nuke safe.
Quite possibly one of the most ridiculous, ill-educated and narrow minded things i have ever read on any forum ever and i jest not...

At the moment there is a balance with all nuclear weapons holding countries fearful due to the fact that a launch against anyone would lead to their own demise. So what happens the day someone like gunslinging America turns up with a bloody shield!!! The whole equation becomes imbalanced and everyone gets paranoid...not good!

I want to know how you think that this would stop countries firing nukes at each other? Surely this is only the case if they themselves have a shield...not going to happen for a while is it...so, in the mean time we all sit back and trust America to do the good thing?!?!?! Not likely!

Peace, on a nuclear scale is already achieved...so why alter it? Admitadely it's not perfect but in my book it's a damn site better than what could happen.

Did you know, America are the only country in the world to have dropped a nuclear weapon on another country...ever.

Now where's your defence to that? I feel I shall be resting my case.

Old 02-27-2003, 08:34 AM   #12
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Jizumonkey:
Quite possibly one of the most ridiculous, ill-educated and narrow minded things i have ever read on any forum ever and i jest not...

At the moment there is a balance with all nuclear weapons holding countries fearful due to the fact that a launch against anyone would lead to their own demise. So what happens the day someone like gunslinging America turns up with a bloody shield!!! The whole equation becomes imbalanced and everyone gets paranoid...not good!

I want to know how you think that this would stop countries firing nukes at each other? Surely this is only the case if they themselves have a shield...not going to happen for a while is it...so, in the mean time we all sit back and trust America to do the good thing?!?!?! Not likely!

Peace, on a nuclear scale is already achieved...so why alter it? Admitadely it's not perfect but in my book it's a damn site better than what could happen.

Did you know, America are the only country in the world to have dropped a nuclear weapon on another country...ever.

Now where's your defence to that? I feel I shall be resting my case.[/QB]
Not a very pleasant or well concieved post. I should probably take the advice in your sig. but what the heck...

The fundamental problem is not with stable nuclear countries, but with the wild cards, the North Korea's out there. The fact that you can't see the second order issues means you need to study the problem more indepth before you flame others regarding their questions. It's fairly well accepted that an affordable missile defense system would be useless against a significant attack by someone with hundreds or even tens of missiles and basic evasion systems (read - decoys). Where it WOULD be effective is against terrorists and rogue nations with only a couple nukes and no technology for evasion.

Risk management dictates that it's these wildcards that are the greatest potential users, and thus they should be addressed. If China feels the need to increase her stockpile in order to insure she can get past defenses, then I'd rather see them with 200 instead of 100 nukes than see N.K. with 1 nuke and the ability to deliver it unchallenged to Japan, Australia, Canada, US, etc...

So while Luvian perhaps had a simplified view of the situation, at least he/she was asking the questions. Your post, despite the air of superiority, was in many ways MORE ignorant.

And the "US is the only country blah blah blah" argument is soo tired. If not for the use of the bomb the casualties to Japan and the US of an invasion would likely have been in the MILLIONS on both sides. So you can go to all the Japanese cities that got through WWII relatively unscathed and tell them you'd rather they were all wiped out in conventional bombing than that the US had used a shock weapon to end the war with hugely reduced casualties.

[ 02-27-2003, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: Thoran ]
Old 02-27-2003, 08:41 AM   #13
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Quote:

Ok, seriously... what exactly is the bad thing about developing a technology that prevent countries from getting hit by missiles? It seem to me that it would only help peace, not war. If no one can shoot nukes at each other, they the world is a lot safer.

It just seem to me that china don't want that to happen, because like they said, they are becoming a superpower, so it's not in their interest to see the world become nuke safe.

Now where's your defence to that? I feel I shall be resting my case.
[/QUOTE][img]graemlins/troll.jpg[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 09:04 AM   #14
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Not called for Attalus. You could have dealt with this by talking (as Thoran did - and quite well) rather than making the troll call. The points he makes about re-igniting the arms race because of the shift in balance is entirely appropriate.

I agree that his wording and expression could have been much improved, and the term gunslinging US is unnecessarily emotive. The point on why should the world place their trust in the US - fair question, but poorly worded.

Note to Jizumonkey - I hear what you are saying, but there are better ways to express it. Not suggesting at all that there is a problem with your point of view, but remember that the TOS require us to be respectful to other countries when presenting it. I have crossed swords with a few people on IW recently for disrespect for Europe, and with several people in my local paper (as letters to the editor) for disrespect to the US. My stance is pro-neither - it is anti-bashing (no matter where it comes from or is aimed at).

[ 02-27-2003, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Davros ]
Old 02-27-2003, 09:23 AM   #15
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Quote:

[/QUOTE]Calm down, mate - you can make your point just as well without foaming at the mouth and being bombastic. We don't like people insulting other people here. Also helps people to concentrate on your opinion, rather than your tone.

Quote:

Still a bit ranting and raving, but a bit better.

Quote:
Had recovered and had actually presented a decent argument but ruined it with the emotional grenade at the end.

All in all, I'd give your post a 3.5 out of 10 - you can do better than that, mate. Looking forward to seeing an improvement in your tone and in expressing respect for your fellow members here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2003, 09:41 AM   #16
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:

Are you serious? The US used not one, but two nuclear weapons 58 years ago? Wow, I didn't even know there were people back then....
Old 02-27-2003, 09:43 AM   #17
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
So what happens the day someone like gunslinging America turns up with a bloody shield!!! The whole equation becomes imbalanced and everyone gets paranoid...not good!

EDIT - Strange that the second comment doesn't show up as quoted material. Oh well, it works just like this I suppose.

[ 02-27-2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 02-27-2003, 09:45 AM   #18
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Obviously you don't get around much.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:49 AM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

OK Ronn, calm down - I think you made your point (all three of them ). Let's put the handbags away now and get back on topic - and be nice to each other.

Old 02-27-2003, 10:02 AM   #20
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
OK Ronn, calm down - I think you made your point (all three of them ). Let's put the handbags away now and get back on topic - and be nice to each other.
LOL - I had posted almost the same thing, but my computer froze when I hit the post button . Lucky I guess, because my "Two wrongs don't make a RIGHT" quip would have looked even sillier after Ronn's 3rd post .