Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2004, 10:13 PM   #1
TheGlow
Dungeon Master

What gives? Whats the real point in spending 2 feats to get 1 extra attack?
Am I missing something or is Improved 2weapon just not showing up yet?
And Ive noticed 3.5 did away with ambi, so it seems fruitless to spend up 2 feats for just 1 extra attack. Bah!
TheGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:30 AM   #2
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Not so bad though if you wanted a Ranger level...
Old 05-17-2004, 11:33 AM   #3
Spiff
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think the point of those two feats is just to get the one extra attack. I agree though, it is pretty expensive. Not only do you spend the two feats, but you still take a minus on the to-hit roll whenever you use two weapons (-2/-4 or -2/-2). If your a fighter and getting lots of feats anyways it could be worth it though.

I think 3.5 did away with ambidexterity because people found all the different 2 weapon fighting cases confusing, despite the fact that they were all listed neatly in a table somewhere. Or maybe it had something to do with them reworking the ranger abilities.
Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:30 PM   #4
TheGlow
Dungeon Master

I think they did away with it because an extra attack isnt really all that threatening. with penalties on both sides, Your most likely to specialize in a smaller blade, so your speciliazations dont have to be spread out over 2 diff weapons. and then to have spent 2 feats to have a remote chance of doing well. mostly designed for rogues due to low power, so they need more chances. whereas fighters are best off 2handin a blade and mowing stuff down.
So here, especially with improved 2weapon, you spend 2 feats for one measly attack. Only time thats really useful is if you have high str which might as well go for a 2hander, or rogue where more attacks is good for sneak. Blah overall.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
Spiff
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I havn't used the feats in iwd2 yet, but from a numbers point of view it seems like 2 weapons can be just as good for a high str character.

The advantage of a 2-hander is that you get 1.5x your str bonus. So if you have a +8 bonus and are getting 5 attacks with your 2-handed weapon you do an extra 20 damage over a 1-handed weapon.
It seems like 20 damage is easy enough to make up with an off-hand weapon, there would be 8 from the strength bonus, plus the damage die, damage bonus from magic weapons, plus the weapon effects like an extra die of elemental damage or a chance to do some spell effect.
The -2 to hit doesn't seem like that big of a deal when your BaB is getting close to 30 either.

So besides looking cool swinging a huge 2-handed axe, why do so many people say that 2-handed weapons are the way to go for str characters?
Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 06:49 PM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Under the 3.0 rules (don't have 3.5, which doesn't apply to IWD2 anyway), the offhand weapon gets only half the strength bonus. So if your strength gives you, say, +4 damage on the primary, you get only +2 on the secondary. Fractions are rounded down for the odd numbers.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:56 PM   #7
Too Darkpark
The Magister

TheGlow, does your character have a 15 Dex? Isn't that a prerequisite for that feat?
Old 05-18-2004, 01:02 AM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Fighting with two weapons is extremly hard, almost impossible. You should not be able to do that with no penalties.

And no, not everyone is ambidexterous...

An extra attack per round might mean 10 extra attack over your ennemies at the end of the fight. It's a huge difference.

[ 05-18-2004, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
TheGlow
Dungeon Master

Too Darkpark: Nah, dont have 15 dex.
I have a 20 though.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:11 PM   #10
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

I think there's a max 5 attacks per turn limit, and that, partly because of that, the imp twf feat isn't in the game... it'd still be nice to have tho, IMO, as it'd still affect your average attack bonus. You'd get -2, -2/-4, -7, -7/-9, -12 penalities to 5 attacks, instead'a -2, -2/-4, -7, -12, -17... IIRC.