Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2002, 09:25 PM   #1
Tormentor
Manshoon

I might get (f word + ed.. hehe) by this topic, but what the heck:

As a european i really get the feeling that America feels supreme, like they are rulers of the world. They can do everything without any excuse, whine about the WTC which get international news, whilst a thing like that would happen in europe, like the water disaster at the moment isn't getting much press attention... i even heard that america is printed LARGER then the rest of the world in american editions of the atlas....

i'd like to discuss how american people think / feel about this in general...

sorry for my bad english, but i'm just a dutch guy being a bit tired and drunk right now...

[ 08-17-2002, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Tormentor ]
Old 08-17-2002, 09:32 PM   #2
Mojo
Elminster

I know what u mean, but I've never been sure about expressing it. I'm not entirely sure how to argue the point, but I understand completely.

I wonder if I'll get shafted for saying this? Ah well...
Old 08-17-2002, 09:38 PM   #3
Tormentor
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Mojo:
I know what u mean, but I've never been sure about expressing it. I'm not entirely sure how to argue the point, but I understand completely.

I wonder if I'll get shafted for saying this? Ah well...
Thanks for your support anyway [img]smile.gif[/img] expressing is a good thing in general
Old 08-17-2002, 09:38 PM   #4
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

I think that that is totally untrue. As an American myself, I say that we didn't "whine" about the WTC disaster. We asked for help. It wasn't like a little 5-year-old kid screeching about having to go pee. The floods in Europe are a big thing. It gets publicity, like everything else. If Europe wants real big publicity, why don't they do something real great and help the world out. The floods are not there for show.

America is not printed larger! Canada is printed a lot larger! And Canada's all real! If you think the U.S is printed to large, go complain to Rand MCnally.

We do not act supreme. We just do what we can to help people out. "act like the rulers of the world", please. Supreme to what? Does it look like to you that we shun Europe because of its floods and walk away, sticking our noses in the air?! God. [img]graemlins/1disgust.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2002, 09:41 PM   #5
Tormentor
Manshoon

i am not here to fight or anything, just discuss about things... anyway, i'm glad to see some honesty, but how do you feel about the war against terrorism?
Old 08-17-2002, 09:44 PM   #6
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

I think Bush is doing the right thing to root out those Terrorists and destroy them. The only thing those people are going to do is hurt people, so getting them before they do that is a good idea.

[ 08-17-2002, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Willard ]
Old 08-17-2002, 09:46 PM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

It's still a great land and nation, even if the current crop of politicians suck major-ass and don't listen to anyone but themselves. Just ask the millions of people waiting to get granted immigration rights or the countless visitors from around the world. It's good, it's bad, its America.
Old 08-17-2002, 09:53 PM   #8
Tormentor
Manshoon

anyway, you cant destroy terrorism .. only by destroying the reasons why its created...

but as usual the americans tries to cure the symptoms insead of the cause
Old 08-17-2002, 09:53 PM   #9
Lioness
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Willard:
I think Bush is doing the right thing to root out those Terrorists and destroy them. The only thing those people are going to do is hurt people, so getting them before they do that is a good idea.
Is it ok that the US troops are killing innocent people as well in order to do it? Isn't that what they're trying to stop? The WTC left me in tears, don't get me wrong, but the US trains terrorists. Ever heard of the SoA in Georgia? Trains military from Latin American countries then sends them back and they become dictators. Somehow the US reaction to the WTC was a bit hypocritical.

However, on the other side of the coin, Tormentor, you cannot say that for all Americans. As a rule, I don't find the Americans I know to feel "superior" in any way.

I'm American, btw, and I can be as patriotic as the next, but patriotic about America itself, not its government.
Old 08-17-2002, 09:58 PM   #10
Tormentor
Manshoon

george michael even has to flee because of his new video clip, what about that?