Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2001, 11:22 PM   #61
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
And Donut? Ridiculous name notwithstanding, the World Series is SACRED here...so back off, buster
CB, I'm well aware of the feeling you Americans have for Baseball, that's why I chose to prod that particular spot - I knew I would get a reaction from you .

If I was serious I would have mentioned that the winners of the Superbowl call themselves 'World Champions'. Do you notice a trend here?

------------------
The Truth is in the Profile
Old 03-16-2001, 11:36 PM   #62
Donut
Jack Burton

Morodin, thanks for the link to the laws of Cricket, I thought this was interesting:

THE PREAMBLE, THE SPIRIT OF CRICKET

'Cricket is a game that owes much of its unique appeal to the fact that it should be played not only within its Laws but also within the Spirit of the Game. Any action which is seen to abuse this spirit causes injury to the game itself. The major responsibility for ensuring the spirit of fair play rests with the captains.'

I'm afraid a few teams have forgotten this recently and Cricket seems to be going down the road of most other professional sports.

------------------
Old 03-16-2001, 11:38 PM   #63
Donut
Jack Burton

Asphyxiate - you're spot on mate. Beer and Sun, the best reasons to watch cricket live.

------------------
Old 03-16-2001, 11:41 PM   #64
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

Nah, Best sport to watch is soccer or more presice Soccer fights!!!! It's always the Brits that seem to start it!

For Rugby is the ultimate blood sport!! I saw guy nearly rip a other neck just to get the dammed ball. The Ref din't even give him a penalty!!!
Old 03-17-2001, 12:06 AM   #65
Donut
Jack Burton

Strhad - Paris St Germain v Galatassary (Turkey) on wednesday night, 58 fans injured in fighting (57 of them French), pitch invaded by Turkish supporters and the game held up for 25 minutes, not a Brit in sight!

It's understandable that the rest of the world has this misconception, if trouble doesn't involve English supporters (the Scots and Welsh might be upset if you say Brits) then it isn't news. Unfortunately our supporters got a reputation (which was deserved at the time) for causing trouble in the 70's and 80's and it's difficult to lose it. I speak from experience having travelled in Europe to watch my team play on many occasions.

Just another couple of examples. Galatassary v Leeds - two English supporters murdered and when Liverpool played in Italy this year nine English supporters stabbed.

------------------
Old 03-17-2001, 12:15 AM   #66
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sylent:
keh...
*Scoffs*

Don't you understand my superior language?
Eh? You say something?!

GrandMaster of the Improved Variety of the English Language..
Old 03-17-2001, 01:10 AM   #67
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
CB, I'm well aware of the feeling you Americans have for Baseball, that's why I chose to prod that particular spot - I knew I would get a reaction from you .

If I was serious I would have mentioned that the winners of the Superbowl call themselves 'World Champions'. Do you notice a trend here?

Hehehe...Donut, my dear, 'tis a rare occurence when I take bait that I don't recognize as bait! LOL Although Memsy has come close to hooking me a time or two! Call me contrary...(snicker)...ah go on, you know you were going to...LOL Hmmmm... come to think of it, you came close too, in that politics thread!

Trend? Nah, just a bit o' Bigger 'n Life, Full of Ourselves, Yankee Pride! And who else does THAT as well as we do?! What's a Superbowl? I know Supper bowl....

CB, not a football fan, herself
Old 03-17-2001, 01:50 AM   #68
turbovee
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
'tis a rare occurence when I take bait that I don't recognize as bait!
Oh is that so, oh leopard slayer

------------------
I feel the need, the need for SPEED!
Peace and hair grease
Old 03-17-2001, 01:52 AM   #69
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yup, turboboss and you have the privilege of being able to crow about a TOTAL hook-line and sinker event...

FloppingFishCloud (gasp...water...gasp...) HAHAHA
Old 03-17-2001, 01:56 AM   #70
turbovee
Elminster

True true!, but I believe in catch and release

------------------
I feel the need, the need for SPEED!
Peace and hair grease