Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2003, 02:09 PM   #11
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Once again windows XP has caused another gamer to go crazy.
I have the exact same sony CD-RW 40x/12x/48x and I had no problem what so ever, why you ask? Because I use windows 98SE on the computer I have all my games loaded in.
When the meat heads at Microsoft designed "XP", they spent so much time and effort making it so that the multi features were for Microsoft games for family fun, then they added business applications on top so that corporations would be interested. They didn't even consider other manufacturers that were using windows 98se to design their software and woulden't be able to play their games on the system with the new "XP".
I wish I could find the two page story that told of the more than 400 bugs that are in "XP". A couple of main things I do remember is that some systems have no troubles at all with windows "XP" as long as they have the 2.4Ghz microprocessor in them but that is still only the units that are configured and use the exact same componets that Microsofts test computers use.
I have a half dozen different computers in my home and Have tried "XP" pro in all of them (the $800.00 version with all the extras). In my business computer it is great and allows me to do everything I could ever want in Business But, I can't even get that computer system to read NWN or the Morrowind CD to load them.
I have another OEM custom built computer that Has exactly the same Mother board and Microprocessor except, I have my sony CD-RW (the one like yours)and a Sony 16xDVD/CD-ROM drive in it. Instead of "XP" I now have windows 98SE for my operating system in it and I never have any troubles except the normal ones that come with every new game befor the patches come out. Both computers have PENT 4/2.4Ghz microprocessors in them and they both have 2/120 GB hard drives, as far as I'm conserned the 98SE system has had less problems all the way around no matter what I do with them.
If I were you,I would remove the "XP" and reload it with windows "98SE" you'll have alot fewer problems.
The other thing you can do is add a second Hard Drive and install windows 98SE on it and have duel operating systems. Then install all your games in the 98se drive, if you need imfo on how to put both operating systems in one computer let me know and I get you the web page with all the instructions.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:26 PM   #12
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I admit XP can be a bitch but it's getting better. If you do use XP make sure to run updates frequently. They really do read those 'Send error reports' and if you are like me and actually send them you'll notice some bugs you reported are soon fixed. I experienced one blue screen bug with NWN's and XP and about 2 weeks later they released an XP patch which actually addressed this.

The current Nvidia drivers for Geforce 2 using XP speed up the framerate. The previous 4X.XX ones did not but this latest driver one works well and gave me an added 20 fps on my other Geforce 2 system.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:01 PM   #13
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

SpiritWarrior what version of the Nvidia driver are you running? Because the 44.03 was where I and a couple friend had problems with the GeForce2. I could be wrong because it was a few months ago. 44.03 works great with my GeForce3 and 4 cards.

I am an Ex-MS employee and I will just say this and let it drop. 98 has been out for much longer than XP hence why it is much less buggy. Currently I am running XP on some systems and have been rather happy with it. Think about how difficult it is to program an OS for how many different types of hardware. Heck just think of how many different processors it has to support. And as always if you are not happy with what the program does for you do not buy anything more from that company. NWN does support Linux so it is an option. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Granamere

[ 08-02-2003, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 09:25 PM   #14
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Running with the 44.03 drivers for my Geforce 2. I'd been holding off on upgrading to any 4X.XX drivers due to their rep until a Biomod actually gave me the 'all clear' on them. I did so and it runs so much better, there was defo. an increase in fps, almost felt like my Geforce ti!

[ 08-02-2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 08-03-2003, 10:34 PM   #15
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

I will have to update my GeForce2 computer and see how it goes. Thanks!

Granamere
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:09 AM   #16
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I've ended up having to call Atari and ask for a replacement disc to be sent out. Apparently a large proportion of the OZ shipment contained defective discs. I've tried everything - ripping from the disc onto the drive and trying to install from there - there are three files that it can't rip - the language_data.zip (200MB), language_update.zip (30MB) and the setup.psp (9KB) file. And since the installation's buggered itself up I'll have to uninstall NWN and SOU since you can't just uninstall NWN. I've made backups of my userfolders but gee this is annoying!!!

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 08:58 AM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

What a pain the backside, Memsie! How long before you get the new disc, did they say? Seems like they should be making an effort to do something nice for the customers who got stuck with the bad dics!
Old 08-05-2003, 09:40 AM   #18
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Talk about a horror story! UGH!

Seems like Atari didn't learn their lesson about cheap cd's from the fiasco during NWN.

You're right Cloudy - Atari SHOULD do something. They won't - but they should.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 11:56 AM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
What a pain the backside, Memsie! How long before you get the new disc, did they say? Seems like they should be making an effort to do something nice for the customers who got stuck with the bad dics!
Who friggen knows.

As for Atari, first they tried to blame it on everyone's CD-ROM drives. It was only when EVERYONE started to complain that they admitted it was a bad batch of discs. Typical fingerpointing, avoidance of responsibility, and lack of customer service from Atari - no wonder they went bankrupt earlier on.

I can't even play NWN now btw - not unless I uninstall both, which I just can't be bothered to do at the moment. I'll do it all when they send me my disc.

This is the FIRST game I've bought where the bloke at the shop gave me Atari's number to call to have a replacement disc sent to me in case I had a problem even before I'd bought the game - obviously they'd been taking a lot of stick from unhappy customers. Apparently Atari were unwilling to send THEM the discs (obviously trying to save money on buying CDs. Oh, and I got my CD Key in a bit of red paper stuck in between the manual.

Unprofessional...

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:57 PM   #20
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

That's how i got my first cd key, but on the second copy i bought, it was printed in the manual, which really freaked me out, they did something professional, lol. Some of you may remember my post about my server not being accessible, the first email i got back from atari said that i couldn't run my server, and connect to it. lmao, for a second or two, and then got really scared. This is the technical support, and they have no idea how their game even works. We are doomed.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote