Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2003, 03:30 PM   #41
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
legeslegmegszentségtelenithetetlenebbeiteknek
Are you for real?? [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] That's awesome!
Maybe I *should* read up on Hungarian a bit... I've read some historical (i.e. non-fiction, non-dramatized) account of Erzsebet Bathory's life, and I do think many Hungarian names are quite cool (yours included!) but that's about all I know. [img]redface.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Yeah I am for real, if you don't believe me, read that book I mentioned in my last post well it's more like a booklet - you'll finish it in a few hours, but it's cool.

And thank you Mel, I know that historical means non-fictional and non-dramatised [img]tongue.gif[/img] I have heard the word "history"
Can't say I've heard of Erzsebet Bathory, who was she? In case you're wondering, Erzsébet is Elizabeth in Hungarian, so the English queen is Erszébet [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cloudy - Finnish is probably the most similar to Hungarian you can get, wanna learn? The words aren't similar like between German/English/other germanic languages, but it's wierd, they have the same love of vowels and when a Hungarian person hears Finnish being spoken it's like listening to Hungarian that you can't quite make out - it's really annoying - you know like when you think you should be able to understand cos it sounds so familiar, but no matter how hard you try you can't make out the words.

[ 05-21-2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-21-2003, 03:55 PM   #42
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:

And thank you Mel, I know that historical means non-fictional and non-dramatised [img]tongue.gif[/img] I have heard the word "history"
Can't say I've heard of Erzsebet Bathory, who was she? In case you're wondering, Erzsébet is Elizabeth in Hungarian, so the English queen is Erszébet [img]smile.gif[/img]
Vasky dear, I specified "historical" because most of the stuff that's written about Erszébet (sorry, I misspelled, should've looked it up ) is highly dubious and usually romanticised. They sometimes claim to be about "the historical figure of" etc and then proceed to spout some vampire stories or similar. [img]smile.gif[/img]
But anyway, I'm surprised you've never heard of her! The countess Bathory is probably your country's most famous murderer and is alleged to have killed and tortured several young women in the sixteenth century. Apparently she wanted to preserve her youth by bathing in their blood...

SpiritWarrior, I still think you're mistaken... check this site for instance:
http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/saoghal/mio....html#goidelic
In all the language-historical material that I've seen, SG is distinguished as separate from IG and Manx, and as a language in its own right.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:08 PM   #43
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Vasky dear, I specified "historical" because most of the stuff that's written about Erszébet (sorry, I misspelled, should've looked it up ) is highly dubious and usually romanticised. They sometimes claim to be about "the historical figure of" etc and then proceed to spout some vampire stories or similar. [img]smile.gif[/img]
But anyway, I'm surprised you've never heard of her! The countess Bathory is probably your country's most famous murderer and is alleged to have killed and tortured several young women in the sixteenth century. Apparently she wanted to preserve her youth by bathing in their blood...
Hmmm....unfortunately, I never studied in Hungary so the only Hungarian literature I read was from my parents and grandparents and although that was quite a lot, I never came across Báthory (if we are to be precise, the a needs to be á - it's a different pronounciation you know ). Well anyway, earlier you mentioned about me teaching you some phrases - no problem, I love teaching Hungarian if there is anyone that would listen
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-22-2003, 07:42 AM   #44
Melusine
Dracolisk

We'll start a thread in Kleio on Panda soon then, Vask! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2003, 11:44 AM   #45
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

ok [img]smile.gif[/img] ooh it's a one-liner :uhoh:
Old 05-22-2003, 11:46 AM   #46
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
I speak bad French, but love it.
Hm, English is a foreign language for me, but if I am not terribly mistaken, what you said in the bit I quoted could be interpreted as your expression of the notion that you loved the fact that you speak French badly.
Is that the idea you intended to convey?

As for myself: The foreign language I used to love most speaking is Spanish, because it makes anything you say feel so ... manly? Well, If I said that that would a) be rather ridiculous and b) our authoritarian Melusinchen would waste no time in publicly ridiculing me into suicide. So, instead I'll just say that for me speaking Spanish gives me the feeling that (almost) anything I say is dramatic and flamboyant. It feels a little bit like constantly starring in a cloak-and-dagger movie and I love that feeling, makes life so much more fun.

For writing my favourite foreign language is without a doubt English, such a great toy to play and fool around with!
So long !<br /><br />Rł aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 05-22-2003, 11:48 AM   #47
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
Apart from English, I can speak Japanese, Chinese ( Mandirin , Kantonese ), Malay, Kadazan and Korean quite fluently.
That is a truly impressive list! May I inquire what kind of language Kadazan is?
So long !<br /><br />Rł aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 05-22-2003, 02:17 PM   #48
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My favorite language after English is French...

And my favorite long word is Llanfyreupgwyngyllgogerichwinthropulllantysilogogo goch, that place out in Wales that has changed its name to be shorter. I can even say it, although I haven't really tried it when intoxicated...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:30 PM   #49
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
My favorite language after English is French...

And my favorite long word is Llanfyreupgwyngyllgogerichwinthropulllantysilogogo goch, that place out in Wales that has changed its name to be shorter. I can even say it, although I haven't really tried it when intoxicated...
I can ONLY say it while intoxicated.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:57 PM   #50
Judas Maccabeus
The Magister

Let's see... First language is English. Some knowledge of Spanish, passing knowledge of French, a bit in Italian, German, and Norwegian.

Out of all those, I'd have to go with Norwegian for my favourite. What I know of it, at least. [img]smile.gif[/img]
<br /><br />\'Far be it from me to do such a thing as flee from them! If our time has come, let us die bravely for our kinsmen and not leave a stain upon our glory!\'<br />--1 Maccabees 9:10