Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2003, 05:20 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

In houses, you know the 'safety trip' that will trip to prevent you from being hurt--it's in the 2 Bathrooms. Anyway, It was tripped when I woke, and I went to untrip it at the circuit box, but it kept tripping, so I unplugged everything from those bathroom plugs as usual, and it STILL won't untrip. I works everytime in the past...

Is the fuse blown maybe? if so, can I replace it? Do you need to turn off the main power switch before you replace the plug?

Thanks!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 08-28-2003, 05:22 PM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Dan, are they ground fault interruptor outlets (GFI)? They'd have a pair of small black and red buttons in the middle of the outlet (or at least ONE would). If so, press the red one all the way in, then press the black button in. THEN go try your circuit breaker again.

Did you maybe get water in one of the outlets? That might keep it from resetting.

edit: Most cities require GFI outlets in bathrooms and near any water source or outdoors, so most likely you have them. There may be a black/red switch on one of the outlets or it may be on an outlet at your breaker box, I've seen both ways of doing it.

[ 08-28-2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 08-28-2003, 05:33 PM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yep, thats what I meant, the little red button I pushed, and nada.. I'll ask donna if she splashed water by accident when she get's home.. ugh. This never happened before either.. The fuses have NEVER needed to be replaced since we bought the house in 1989.

Any ideas? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-28-2003, 05:37 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Check the fuse. No, I don't think you have to power down the whole house to replace it. If you're lucky, the fuse will have a visible indicator as to whether it's "blown" or not.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:40 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I've never replaced one, but I'm guessing they have a limit to the number of times they can 'pop' so maybe it's just time to get a new one, but if you can't figure it out, call an electrician! We don't want a fried webmaster!
Old 08-28-2003, 05:41 PM   #6
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

A bad GFI outlet will default to the "off" position. Might need a new one.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:43 PM   #7
Animal
Gold Dragon

To replace it you do need to shut the circuit off at the breaker box. The wires are still live even though the plug isn't.

Generally the plugs are cheap enough, so go new. If the new one trips, then you have much bigger wiring issues. Anything changed in the last few days that may cause a voltage spike?
Old 08-28-2003, 05:47 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Guys, it's in both bathrooms, so it likely isn't a bad outlet. Chances are both outlets would not go bad at the same time.

I vote circuit breaker until you confirm it's otherwise.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:48 PM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
To replace it you do need to shut the circuit off at the breaker box. The wires are still live even though the plug isn't.

Generally the plugs are cheap enough, so go new. If the new one trips, then you have much bigger wiring issues. Anything changed in the last few days that may cause a voltage spike?
Well, we had some lightning (again) today. [img]smile.gif[/img] I will take the hairdryer and blow air into the plugs and see if that helps--she could have plugged in a wet plug or something..

I'll power down everything before I even touch it.. I have come to be VERY Respectful of electricity after a few STATIC shocks from my power supply. LOL!!

Old 08-28-2003, 05:54 PM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Nevermind, It finally stayed in the untripped notch. Maybe it had some condinsation in the plug or something.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, all is well. Now I can see to read while I...