Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2003, 03:53 PM   #1
The Lilarcor
Elminster

My friend went to California, and bought a little sword necklace at a celtic restaurant place (I think)and so theres celtic writing on it, and I'm trying to translate it, so can someone give me a site that has these symbols on it, or tell me what it means or if its not celctic, what language it is? Thanks. Unfortunatly I have no scanner, so I used paint to get the basic gist of thme, but they're accurate.

[ 04-04-2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: The Lilarcor ]
Old 04-04-2003, 04:17 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare...s/anglrune.htm

Except I'm certain that the rune they list as "f" is the same rune as Gandalf signed with, which is "g".

However, if we assume that chart is accurate, we get:

g ee s (maybe) | p | p w
l n | e | r n
ae b | l | ae i
** | e | **
t h? r | r | ee **

There are more of these runes, which could explain why there are not matches for them all. But I cant find a chart showing all of them.

EDIT] I just love intelligent formatting agents. Fixed.

[ 04-04-2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: andrewas ]
Old 04-04-2003, 04:59 PM   #3
The Lilarcor
Elminster

Well I talked to my friend again, he says he got it at a place called Excalibur and that the little sword is supposed to be a model of Excalibur. Don't know if that will help any.
And then I found some norse runes that have those runes but one is for friendship and so on like that.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:19 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

I cant find any mention of a textual inscription on Excalibur. Nor do the various versions of Excalibur for sale show any inscription. So no help there then.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:37 PM   #5
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Andrewas, close, but I'd say they are the original Nordic runes, rather than those ones... very similar of course, but those ones you linked to are either slightly changed, a little more fancy, possibly one or two are actually more simplistic. (Feel free to taunt me for being a pedant, there isn't much between the two.)

Also, the lack of a definition for the rune "<" on that page leads me to believe that they are original Norse runes, in this case the Nordic rune "Kaunan."

Due to this, rather than letters those will each represent something, and that can change somewhat depending on context.
For example, Ansuz, the "F" rune with downward pointing arms is more literally "A god," however some might take it to mean such aspects of one, as wisdom.

However, I will list some of the runes and give the most literal interpretations, and any nuances if important.

The "F" shaped rune with down ward pointing arms is commented on above.
The "X" shaped rune is called Gibo, and literally means gift.
The "R" shaped rune is Raido, meaning riding.
The rune shaped a bit like an "n" - the very bottom one on the second column - is Uruz, literally meaning Aurochs.
The "<" rune is Kaunan, meaning, IIRC, pine torch.
The "H" like rune is Haglaz, the seed rune which holds all other runes within, it can represent the Realm of the Dead, ancestors, and trials.

I'd do more, but I can't represent the others with text very well, and I can't be bothered to do too much from memory. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
However, just searching google for Nordic runes, or something along those lines would doubtless yield good results.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:11 PM   #6
Tancred
White Dragon

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/runic.htm

Try this site. From a quick look, the first three symbols mean 'gift-water-god', which might be some reference to Excalibur being given to Arthur by the Lady of the Lake...?
Old 04-04-2003, 09:06 PM   #7
The Lilarcor
Elminster

It might, I just wish that they'd be able to be translated or if its just a bunch of symbols put there. Also, it was 3 columns if anyones confused, I just ran out of room, thats why it branches out a bit.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:14 AM   #8
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

they are runes, nordic and for the neopagan, and i guess traditional ones too,t hey are very important. the only ones i've studied closly are nyd (the x looking one) and wyrd (the blank rune, which i thinkis exclusive to neopagan) many things like to use them for no reason whatsover they treat them as decoration only
Old 04-06-2003, 03:40 AM   #9
The Ornery One
Drow Warrior

Looks like ogham, said to have been created by Oghma, God of communication and given to the druids. Here is a table of the symbols and what they stand for. Hope it helps!
http://members.aol.com/irishdremr/otable/otable.html

EDIT: Looking again at the picture you show, that's definitely NOT ogham. Oh well, you still might find it interesting. This one is probably the right one.
http://hem1.passagen.se/vsen/public_...s.htm#ALPHABET

[ 04-06-2003, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: The Ornery One ]