Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2001, 12:05 AM   #91
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I was a bit worried that Donut might be a bit down in the dumps after the second Ashes Test result. I know how much of a rabid sports fan he is! So I thought I would post an article from the prestigous British newspaper, the Mirror. It's about a gold medal that Britain won in swimming! And they actually beat the Aussies.

SWIMMING: BRITAIN SWEAT ON GOLD

IT WAS the sporting triumph the whole of Britain was praying for - a win against Australia.

But just when our swimmers thought they had beaten their rivals from Down Under, their gold medal could be snatched away after farcical scenes at the World Championships in Japan.

It may have been scant revenge for Ashes and Lions defeats, but any victory over Australia tasted sweet - while it lasted.

Britain's 4x200m relay squad had finished third, but winners Australia were disqualified when their swimmers celebrated by jumping into the pool before all the teams had finished.

Second-placed America were then also booted out for a change-over which was illegal by 0.06secs.

That left Nicola Jackson, Janine Belton, Karen Legg and Karen Pickering - who smashed the British record - in first place.

But after appeals, the US head of the technical committee of FINA, the sport's governing body, will today review a video of the race.

And that could see Britain stripped of their first swimming gold since David Wilkie's in 1975.

------------------
Old 07-26-2001, 05:21 AM   #92
Davros
Takhisis Follower

And the good news for Donut is that all appeals were dismissed - WOOHOO, 3 cheers for the new world champions .

What a farcical rule though (sigh)

------------------
Old 07-26-2001, 06:01 AM   #93
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Where's Donut? I miss talking to him!

All I can say is that if you are missing me you really have to get out more.

I've been off work for a week (Lake District and Blackpool) so I haven't visited the board. I was at Lord's on thursday to see 29 overs being bowled. If I include my day at the Pakistan test that makes a total of 29 overs this year.

I shall give you the benefit of my razor sharp wit and rapier like ripostes when I've waded my way through the 84 internal emails that I have received while I was away.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Old 07-26-2001, 06:04 AM   #94
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
And the good news for Donut is that all appeals were dismissed - WOOHOO, 3 cheers for the new world champions .

What a farcical rule though (sigh)

You aussies have a habit of jumping into the pool before the race is finished (metaphorically speaking )

What a shame they don't have that rule in the Ryder Cup, you know - don't run across the green whooping it up before your opponent takes his putt.

------------------

Old 07-26-2001, 06:11 AM   #95
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Great to see you again mate . Sorry you day at Lords was cut short so badly. Was that the 1st day, or the 4th day? Surely you wouldn't have had the optimism to go to the 4th day of an Engand V Australia test match . Lake district - will be there myself in a couple of weeks, and Southport.

And in the Ryder Cup - you do know that I cheer for your team in that one don't you . There are no Aussies to support, so my heart is with the old mother land (bonnie Scotland ).

------------------
Old 07-26-2001, 09:25 AM   #96
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Great to see you again mate . Sorry you day at Lords was cut short so badly. Was that the 1st day, or the 4th day? Surely you wouldn't have had the optimism to go to the 4th day of an Engand V Australia test match .
Every so often, Davros, you make me laugh my ass off.

------------------
Old 07-26-2001, 09:32 AM   #97
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Who - me??????????

Now, on to serious business, when does the next test start?

------------------
Old 08-09-2001, 07:20 PM   #98
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Another Ashes series to Australia - all that remains is to see if Waugh's Warriors can achieve the WHITEWASH . Brave move on your part Donut to put money on a 3-2 result - you must have real faith that your boys are going to stand up at last. Football season soon, that should take your mind off things - "Caaarrnn the Gunners".

------------------
Old 08-20-2001, 03:46 PM   #99
Donut
Jack Burton

My, My - I can't believe this thread has been allowed to drop to page six!

Now let me see, what's been happening in the Cricket world today?

I suppose it's late in Australia now but I'll wait for Memnoch to bring us up to date on the latest news when he wakes up. I'm sure he can quote some newspaper article about how you should never underestimate the opposition.

It's so nice that Davros was in the country whilst the Butchery was taking place.

------------------

Old 08-20-2001, 03:54 PM   #100
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Uh, oh. What happene Donut? Spill the beans, come on...

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!