Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2003, 02:41 PM   #1
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Do you all remember the event editor from FRUA? how it had the multiple pages to list the parameters for events? Well, what I was wondering is this, does DC let you set up an event for "when you try to enter square"? I mean, I know that the teleporter does, but what about the rest?
Old 02-27-2003, 06:24 PM   #2
Steve McDonald
The Magister

Even in FRUA that was only available for "transfer module" (where it was a choice) and "stairs" (where you had no choice). In DC it is available only for transfer events. However, you can use transfer events to simulate other events working in the same way. Just make a transfer event as you would (behind the door), and have the other event in the square the party will approach from. Use the trigger "facing direction only when arrive".

This only works if you can't approach the door from that direction (eg if it is in a corridor). You can get around this by making a separate section of the map which looks identical to the part where the party is. Then transfer the party into that section (on attempt entry), do the events, and transfer them back to the square from which they attempted entry (on already entered).

Make sure you have "execute event at destination" selected in the transfer events.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, the "facing even after arrive" trigger may also be an alternative.
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 10:28 PM   #3
manikus
Jack Burton

i haven't tried to do this a lot, but i have successfully set up events that act like the good old teleporter option of firing when a party attempts to enter a square. and that's by doing exactly what steve described.

if this doesn't work for you, maybe it's something cocoaspud would consider doing sometime after 1.0.

[img]graemlins/1druid.gif[/img]

-manikus
Old 02-27-2003, 11:18 PM   #4
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Well, from what you said, it wouldn't be difficult to "fake it". I had this idea
that the party would walk up to a door, and upon trying to enter it would play a video. (as of right now, the idea was just off the top of my head, and not an actual part of what I need. I had the idea that you would try to enter this room and the video kicks on where the door creaks open and some scary-looking monster lumbers toward you).
Old 03-02-2003, 08:46 AM   #5
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
and here is another question on events, say I got a situation where i wanted to do a "party takes damage" event and wanted to select a specific character for the damage regardless of where the character is in the party. Is that possible? Is it possible to select specific characters (like you have the line up of characters, A,B,C,X,Y,Z; and you want A, B, and Z to be hit, even if its not the 1st 2nd, and 6th positions???)

just more situational thinking
SilentThief
Old 03-03-2003, 02:44 PM   #6
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
as for the "party takes damage" event; I have another question, as well. say the party walks into a trap and I want everyone except an NPC to take damage, are there ways of selecting who takes damage. I know I could take the NPC away, and then restore him to the party; but would rather not bcz then the NPC returning would not have the current hp total that he had b4.

oh, and this is just me thinking out ideas, and should not be used as a hint to not follow male NPCs in my games. [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

SilentThief