Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2002, 08:05 PM   #1
Vohl
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just beat bg1 with tales of the sword coast for the first time (I beat just bg1 years ago). What a spectacular game! The main character I used was a lawful good cleric.
I regret waiting so long to play it again, and I have to ask, is there a better game than this? I just cant believe what a huge, open, non-linear adventure that is Baldur's Gate (1). I plan to import my cleric into BG2 (I bought BG2 when it came out, and Throne of Bhaal, but I have been waiting until now to play it). Someone tell me, is BG2/ToB just as fun? If its not as fun, lie to me [img]smile.gif[/img] j/k truth is good...
Vohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 08:15 PM   #2
Animal
Gold Dragon

I think you'll find BG2 even better. It's a lot bigger than BG. I don't want to say too much so that I don't spoil you, but trust me...you'll enjoy it
Old 04-14-2002, 08:00 AM   #3
Lioness
Jack Burton

BG2 is definately even better. [img]smile.gif[/img] The NPC's are more varied with different skills, the new spells are awesome, and the plot is wicked. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2002, 04:45 PM   #4
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

Only thing I dont like about BG2 is the artwork on the paper doll inventory screen. Who the heck did this stuff, it is terrible! Shields are the worst, and a lot of the armor looks STOOPID(as noober would say).
Old 04-15-2002, 12:15 PM   #5
Sorcerer Alex

If you liked BG I, you'll love BG II. Many things are the same, only with a slightly different feel. It is certainly a great game, even bigger and far less linear than BG I. It is also more atmospheric and interactive. As Animal said, I won't say too much or it'll spoil your enjoyment - you'll have a great time with it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2002, 01:45 PM   #6
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

I didn't play that much of BG2 but after chapter 2 isn't BG2 extremely linear? i.e., you are forced to do things in a particular order
Old 04-15-2002, 09:50 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The only part of BG2 that you have to play 'in order' is the main plot, which, naturally, cannot be played with. But the main plot in BG2 takes up even less of the game in BG2 than in BG1. With BG1, you couldn't enter BG city until you'd done the woods, you couldn't enter the woods until you'd cleared the camp, you couldn't find the camp until.....etc, etc, etc. In BG2, as soon as you leave one area (which I'll call the Prologue, like Candlekeep in BG1) you can go pretty much ANYWHERE on the map, right from the start of the game. The only areas off-limits to you (maybe 15% of the map) are the ones involved in the Main Plot itself.

As other posters on this thread have said, Bigger. Less linear. The NPCs are more interesting, and have more background. Bitchin' spells. The Inventory screen is ridiculously ugly.

About Throne of Bhaal: The plot is almost directly linear. Poopie. No new spells, but you do get some REALLY powerful abilities. The characters are still just as rich.