Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2002, 02:27 PM   #1
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

OK, so this thread contains some thoughts on IW in general, but it also has some stuff on 4th of July in it. I know some of you know me so you are immediately worrying about what I'm going to say, well, in some ways that reaction is kinda the basis of my ideas...

Anyway, I've now finished the first year here at Uni and I'm going back home in about an hour. This means no more computer access on a regular basis, goodbye to IW until September at least. So first off, goodbye to you all, its been fun. [img]smile.gif[/img] When I came to London I knew no one and didn't make friends properly for a few months, like everyone else really. So when I found this little innocuous forum on BG 1&2 I signed up. Hooked in days... I still try to explain to people I know that this is a real community, a community that will look after you in exactly the same way as any other. But all they do is stare blankly and move sharp objects out of my reach. So for getting me through a bit of a transitionary phase in life I thank you all, its been wonderful.

But (and you all knew there was going to be a "but" didn't you...) some of the stuff here has annoyed me, some of it has worried me, some of it has insulted me. I've been told I don't know what I'm talking about and I've been told to go f*ck off and die... and...

... I've been called Anti-American...

Well, funnily enough its the last one that gets my back-up most. It sometimes seems like its impossible to criticise without being declared anti-american. Doesn't the idea seem ludicrous to anyone else? I can't physically hate America, or Americans. Where I dislike American policy I will say so, you cannot dismiss my view that easily I'm afraid. I am a perfectly rational person with the abilty to reason through my position on any number of areas. I am not somehow fuelled by a hatred of Americans and the country in general. As pretty much anyone whos actually listened to me knows I am pretty opposed to a lot of stuff Tony Blair does. Does that make me Anti British? There are some people on here who also dislike much of American policy, but are themselves American... are they anti- American?

It often simply seems to me as a weapon for US supporters and sympathisers to get around objections. So, just my final thought, considering the time of year and my 99% most favorouble opinion of the people on this board:

Disagree with me, argue with me, think that I am stupid, think that I don't know what I am talking about, but please, please, don't call me anti-American.

Have fun all of you, its been great, enjoy the Summer. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 07-04-2002, 02:39 PM   #2
Lord Shield

OMG!!!! a talking vegetable - EEEEKK!!!

Old 07-04-2002, 02:48 PM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Have a good one Barry. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 07-04-2002, 02:49 PM   #4
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Have a good Summer, visit Brentford and return refreshed in the Autumn

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 07-04-2002, 02:52 PM   #5
Epona
Zartan

Sorry I haven't got the photos done yet, busy week
If you want to e-mail me a postal address I'll get copies and send them to you!

Epona222@blueyonder.co.uk

Have a good summer!

[ 07-04-2002, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 07-04-2002, 02:52 PM   #6
norompanlasolas

have a good summer barry!!! youre a cool guy, best of luck. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2002, 02:56 PM   #7
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Stay off the crack Barry! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Have a good summer!
Old 07-04-2002, 02:59 PM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

Have a good summer Barry! [img]smile.gif[/img]
FWIW, I agree with you. It would be nice if everybody got along or at least listened to each other, LOL. I'm talking both sides BTW... people accuse each other of being anti this and anti that and idiots and emotionally unstable and whatnot... let's hope it passes [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edit: hmmm... read that over and realised it sounded a bit too damn negative
We've also had people of completely opposing beliefs get along splendidly and show respect for eachother, we've had people from all over the world post congrats and support to others, etc etc etc....
It's not as one-sided as my post sounded. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-04-2002, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 07-04-2002, 03:18 PM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Have a good summer Barry, i'll see you around !
Old 07-04-2002, 03:37 PM   #10
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Haven't seen you around in a while Barry, but have a great summer anyways! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh and I know what you mean in your post..I've been thinking in similar tracks too