Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2003, 06:54 PM   #1
kroma
Dungeon Master

Guys... I need your opinions please!

Ive got IWD and HoW installed (no TotLM yet) and ive finally got to the very end of the main game, but have not yet finished the final battle (Im not gonna mention names or places here in case it spoils it for somebody, lets just say that I am 100% sure that I am at the end because I have already had it spoiled for me!!).

Anyway - Ive just read NobleNick's comments elsewhere on the board about how the game is meant to be played and now Im confused as to what order I should be doing the remaining game sections in.

Should I delay the last IWD fight and begin HoW now? If I finish the final IWD battle now, will I have to start again in order to get at the new HoW game area's / quests? And when would you recommend I install TotLM? Im so confused!!

My original plan was to complete all of IWD first, and THEN install TotLM and THEN begin HoW - all with the same party. I would prefer to complete IWD first before beginning HoW as it seems a bit unrealistic just leaving a quest 99% complete to begin another, and then going back to finish it a few months later!!

Whaddya think? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

[ 11-10-2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: kroma ]
Old 11-08-2003, 05:55 AM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Since youve already been spoilt I will better mention names to prevent confusion, so spoilers below.
There are 2 ways you can start HoW

1)Any time during the game go to Hjolder and go to HoW... you must do this BEFORE you go to the frozen Easthaven. After you finish the HoW areas you will go back to IWD areas and can finish the game there. The advantage of this method is that you will have much more experience when fighting the last IWD boss.

2)Finish the IWD boss, you will then go to HoW. Finish HoW. Game over. This method has the advantage that you will have one very nice item from frozen Easthaven which you can later upgrade in HoW.

Now as for Totl,
(no more spoilers)
install it now. in HoW in an inn you will find someone who will take you to ToTL areas. Now, once you go there there is no coming back until you finish all ToTL areas.... once you come back you can finish HoW.. And one more thing, you must go to ToTL BEFORE you go to Sea ** ****** *** (you will know when because you will be warned that once you go to Sea ** ****** *** there is no coming back.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:29 AM   #3
kroma
Dungeon Master

I am already in the Frozen Easthaven - does that mean I cant go back to Kuldahar to speak to the Hjolder? If I complete the IWD final battle, am I automatically taken to the beginning of HoW?

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
2)Finish the IWD boss, you will then go to HoW. Finish HoW. Game over. This method has the advantage that you will have one very nice item from frozen Easthaven which you can later upgrade in HoW.
I think I will go for this method then... Install TotLM now, THEN finish IWD and THEN being HoW. Does this sound alright?
Old 11-08-2003, 08:34 AM   #4
Yanez
Manshoon

It sounds just fine, but you wouldn't be transferred automatically to HoW.
Game will export your characters after the final IWD battle and name exports IWDHOW1-IWDHOW6 (original IWD exported characters before the final battle and those exports are named IWD1 to IWD6)
Then start a new game and choose Expansion Only,import your characters and you are ready to start HoW
Don't let anybody die in final battle and use IWDHOW exports or use IWD exports in case of dead characters- they will be alive and they will keep their stuff, minus the exp for IWD boss.
Don't forget to take the items from containers, before you take on the IWD boss, you will lose them, because containers cannot be exported.
Yanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:47 PM   #5
kroma
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the info guys!

Think I will try and complete the main game tonight... Seeing as though this thread already contains spoilers, I may as well mention names etc in this post...

* S P O I L E R S *

Behlifet (sp?) whooped my ass first time I played him, so I better rethink my tactics before trying again. It may well be that I actually have to take on HoW before I am able to defeat him... So because of this, one of my original questions still stands -

"I am already in the Frozen Easthaven - does that mean I cant go back to Kuldahar to speak to the Hjolder?"

Have I left it too late, to the point where now I *MUST* finish IWD before I can begin HoW? (ie - unable to leave Frozen Easthaven until I have killed Behlifet).

???

[ 11-08-2003, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: kroma ]
Old 11-08-2003, 02:58 PM   #6
Yanez
Manshoon

The answer is yes, you'll have to fight Belhifet before going to HoW.
You cannot go to Kuldahar from frozen Easthaven, only other option is a save before you engaged RBP, i.e. walk back from LDD to Kuldahar and talk to Hjollder. (I think that game autosaves before you climb the stairway to RBP, and the next autosave is when you enter ice temple. I hope you didn't enter it yet, but again my post may already be too late.)

EDIT: spelling

[ 11-08-2003, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Yanez ]
Yanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 05:49 PM   #7
kroma
Dungeon Master

Excellent, thanks Yanez...

Like I said, I have already fought Behlifet, but lost by a long way!!

Quote:
Behlifet (sp?) whooped my ass first time I played him, so I better rethink my tactics before trying again
Ill just have to find a way of defeating him, and then I can get on with HoW!

[img]graemlins/ninja.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2003, 09:31 AM   #8
NobleNick
Quintesson

Hang in there kroma, you can do it!

I got stomped the first few times, too... and that was RBP!! Big B absolutely crushed me the first few tries, also. There is a thread not too long ago (several months old?) wherein some (including moi) listed tactics for beating this guy. I didn't find it; but found another where I was bragging away about the last fight, and gave some tips on how I did it. The thread is entitled: "The End of IWD."

You can have your end game experience both ways: What I did was complete IWD; but then took the same party, from a save just before meeting RBP, and walked them back to Kuldahar to do HoW. So.... they get to meet Big B again (can you say "deja vu?"), but this time my party will have beaten HoW AND TotLM, and will each have about 10 more levels under their belts, and be in possession of some much more powerful equipment. Heh, heh, heh: Can hardly wait for that fight....

What's a party,
without a song?
Bard's ROCK!
Party on!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 09:53 AM   #9
Lymond
Manshoon

kroma,

If it comes down to it (and I hope it doesn't for you), you always have the option of lowering the difficulty to get through this fight. I had to do this my first time, because my party was just too weak. I tried again and again with many strategies and couldn't do it. Lowering the difficulty took some of the joy out of the final fight, but I was at the point where I didn't care, because losing over and over was no fun.

As for a strategy that works, for this fight I find that taking out the two "helpers" first and then focusing all your attention on the big guy works best. I read about and tried to go exlusively for the big guy right off, but couldn't defeat him fast enough to avoid a lethal beating from the other two.

Lymond
Old 11-10-2003, 10:40 AM   #10
kroma
Dungeon Master

Hi Lymond,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that after a certain number of attempts at a particular fight, you just want to get on with the game and dont really care how you get past it... I was like that with the Lizard King guy in Dragon's Eye - just couldnt beat him no matter how hard I tried. In the end though, I just left the game alone for a day or so and when I came back I defeated him - and that feeling was great!

So, yeah - I will try my absolute hardest to defeat Behlifet out and out, but I will definately consider lowering the difficulty level if it is my only means of getting on with HoW! (which I am really looking forward to now).

Like I mentioned, I have already taken him on once - he WHOOPED me... I think about 4 of my guys went down before he had even lost any damage whatsoever - however, my plan was to take out the 2 guards first (like you suggested) and I think I managed to knock them down a fair bit.
The other thing was that the party was unrested, slightly down on health, no potions or charms, and down on spells. If I can sort all those problems out, I reckon I stand a good chance with him...

Wish me luck!!

kroma

[ 11-10-2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: kroma ]