Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 06:26 AM   #1
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I was browsing the internet last night when I got hit with a very agressive spyware program. A pop-up appeared on my screen asking if I wanted spyware protection (or something to that effect). Naturally, I clicked "NO", but I guess I should have just clicked the "X" instead.

My screen suddenly FILLED with all kinds a pop-up ads. When I finally got through those, I found several icons added to my desktop. Some of them implied they were spyware buster programs, but I didn't open any of them to find out.

My homepage has been changed to "about:blank". My Google Searchbar has been removed and replaced with a different one. When I tried to do a Search, I got a completely different Search Page than I'm used to. It said "Just Find It" at the top (I believe).

I finally just shut the computer off to prevent further infestation. When I turned it on this morning, it went through the same series of pop-ads and added all the icons I removed BACK to my desktop again. Anytime I go into a legitimate site, I automatically get a "Related Search" bar on the side of the screen. "STOPZilla" is the first entry that shows up there.

I didn't have my spyware-buster programs updated on this PC, so I am currently downloading them again. Even though I removed the icons from my desktop, I know the core programs are still there.

So, does anybody know the name of this particalur spyware hell-spawn? I am currently running Spybot:S&D on my system. I will be downloading Adaware, HiJack This and probably a couple of others (please feel free to recommend some you like). But I've learned from experience that spyware THIS agressive usually has to be removed manually. Any help in identifying this program would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:33 AM   #2
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Sorry matey, I'd just go with the Spybot S&D solution. Couldn't really suggest anything else
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 06:36 AM   #3
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

There are too many varibables to tell you which it is, since there are so many..

For reference, never, and I mean never click inside the popup windows, then tend to be just images of buttons and so clicking anywhere on them is just asking for trouble..

Also, watch out for the double X windows, these are popup's that have a little X near to where the real X is, again this is a trick to try and get you to click in their window and thus "autherise" them to install junk to your computer..

Hmm, you could try Ctr+Alt+Del and check for processes you don't recogonise, there's only roughly 14 or so critical windows processes, maybe less maybe more depending on your configs..

Oh I'd suggest running Lavasoft Adware, that's pretty good these days..

Then run your fav virus scan..

Then restart and repeat above steps just to be sure.

[ 02-18-2005, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: Q'alooaith ]
Old 02-18-2005, 06:37 AM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

NEVER click the ad it self!
it was probably just a picture and will take you to the same trouble whereever you click. Click the X... or to avoid pop ups altogether use Firefox. Ihavn't seen a popup on my screen for months now.
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:26 AM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
NEVER click the ad it self!
it was probably just a picture and will take you to the same trouble whereever you click. Click the X... or to avoid pop ups altogether use Firefox. Ihavn't seen a popup on my screen for months now.
It's safe to say that anything that turns the mouse icon into a little hand (indicating a link unless you've been fiddling with your settings) AND comes unto your screen unwanted is bad. So if there's a hand on your screen instead of the normal mouse pointer, always think twice and wonder if you really want to click that link. Clicking the 'X' in the above right corner is always the safest thing to do when dealing with pop-ups, and if you still feel insecure, ALT-F4 will take the trouble even further away by enabling you to keep the mouse as far as possible from the nasty pop-up .

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:43 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

dont you have firewall?

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:54 AM   #7
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i just want to add.. what website is it? so i will try and avoid it. I have 2 firewalls (zone alarm and norton) which more or less protects me of unauthorized actions. when i find out.. i just deny them [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:58 AM   #8
Lady Sedai
Banned User

About the only added thing I can suggest is heading over to techtv.com and check out their forums/links. They are *VERY* thorough and instructions for removal of "crap" on your system you don't want are very easy to understand.

They may even know if this particular one has a name. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hope you get it all sorted, Cerek. I know what a pain it can be. Since switching to Firefox & Thunderbird, Mike and I have had no problems like this, so you just might want to seriously consider the above suggestion to switch. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Lady Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:04 AM   #9
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Yeah, I know I screwed up by clicking inside the ad instead of just clicking the "X". I just had a brain cramp and wasn't thinking.

The "spybuster" icons come back on my desktop after each restart. Here is what is showing up:

Evidence Eraser
Popup Blocker
Spyware Avenger
Virus Hunter Security

I don't have my own firewall installed, but I just got DSL service this week - and it is supposed to come with MSN Premium, which provides a firewall, popup blocker and virus scanner.

Maybe these new icons are actually legit and part of the MSN package - but they didn't show up when I activated my DSL connection. They showed up after I got hit with the spyware last night.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:10 AM   #10
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Hmm. How about Zonealarm or the default XP firewall?
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote