Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2000, 09:20 AM   #1
Hoggar
Welcomed New User

I gave Mazzy Fentan a real chance for the first time yesterday, and I must say that she can be DAMN useful. I found some bow that fires 3 shots per round, and all of a sudden she has 4 times as many kills as Keldorn. However, I havn't seen her mentioned much here, so I wonder what you guys think... especially since I found Haer'dalis useful once... until I found out that HP matters.
Old 12-05-2000, 09:37 AM   #2
Blademaster

Hmmm... Where do you find her? I've only met a couple NPCs that mentioned her name in Trademeet. She seems to be a powerful fighter from what the manual says

Old 12-05-2000, 09:47 AM   #3
Hoggar
Welcomed New User

Spoiler...

She went to Umar Hills with her group of adventurers to solve the murder mysteries. If you go there (need to talk to a boy in Athkatla to get the location on the world map, he can be anywhere but will approach you if you go near him) you will find out she went to some temple ruins to find the killers. However, things didn't work out as they should and her group got wasted and Mazzy herself got imprisoned. Which is rather strange, her group must have sucked majorly if they managed to get beaten and imprisoned by them Shadows. Perhaps they ran into the Dragon or something.
Old 12-05-2000, 09:58 AM   #4
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hi there!
I found Mazzy with a ful party, since I use a constelation of two blockers, My own character, a fighter this time and Jaheira fullplate+1 Tower shield of reflection, Minsc as a ranger, hence a bowguy, vahylagar-or-whatever(hate that name) or Another thief two dstance fighters, +Aerie with a sling, another great distance fighter, and then the fifth position is a NPC which is neede for subquests, Mazzy proved valuble in slow dungeon fighting launching arrows with great speed, however, when your party is ambushed, no matter by whom, every body is placed like total stupidos!
Mages and clerics are thoose who fall first!
Rangers can wield Katanas 2handswords etc and hit most scumsuckers, later when you battle vampires and more dangerous foes Mazzy had the problem of enemies coming up close, her job was to kill enemies at sifgt and protect the akward mages clerics.. whoose job was to kill most things, the front figures (my fighter) job were to go with boots of speed after the opposite mage and kill him fast and quick! Potion of speed haste or boots of speed and magicprotection scrolls/potions yihaa!
Well Mazzy, is great if you don´t take up Rangers since she is the best with a shortbow. But she falls due to the lack of good qualities as a in close fighter!
Well many may disagree to this due to there way of approach problems, and I´m interested in knowing these ways would be cool to try something completly different. Mazzy doesn´t stink, but she has so goody goody comments all the time...
Old 12-05-2000, 05:37 PM   #5
Armisael

Mazzy starts with high mastery in bows, and she's the best bowman(woman) in the game. She also has some nice abilities she can use on herself. I've used her a few times and found her to be pretty good. Another underrated character, I suppose.

Old 12-05-2000, 08:24 PM   #6
Grathian

I have to disagree with those that say Mazzy sucks in close combat. In my current game I have her at 15th level, mastery in shortbow and shortsword. She is equiped with full plate +1, the Gesen Bow, and Cutthroat (+4 shortsword) With my particular group not much actually gets close enough to engage me in close combat. Everyone has some kind of range weapon or spells to hurl, however when they do manage to get close enough to melee with me, Mazzy switches to her +4 shortsword and whoops backside. She is my second heaviest damage dealer in close combat with Minsc being the hardest with the Vorpal sword, ( I love that thing) I wouldn't trade Mazzy for anything, you know what they say about small packages...

Old 12-06-2000, 02:32 AM   #7
Hoggar
Welcomed New User

Wow, where did you find that shortsword? Never heard of it.

True, bows are not good in close combat, but she's nice with a blade as well. However, I just run away with her and place some heavy guy between her and the antagonist. Usually works.

Gesen is the best short bow in the game I presume?
Old 12-07-2000, 01:07 AM   #8
Grathian

I forget exactly where I found cutthroat, I am right at the end of chapter 6 and I just recently got it. The Gesen bow is a short bow that requires no arrows... it shoots lighting bolts instead. Doesnt really do THAT much damage but Mazzy gets off more shots with it then anyone else. You can probably get cutthroat with cheat code I assume.

Old 12-13-2000, 06:12 PM   #9
Halscion

*** Short Bow SPOILER ***

The Gessen bow is NOT the best short bow in the game!

Gessen bow: its speed factor sucks, as does the speed with which its missiles fly. There is a bow in Mazzy's home town (only available after you do some things to restore order, from a merchant) which also requires no arrows but has a speed factor of 3(!) and is plus-three to hit. Mazzy can get off four shots a round with this baby, each doing 4-22(!!) points of damage -- perhaps more, I haven't done formal testing.

Old 12-14-2000, 04:58 AM   #10
Hoggar
Welcomed New User

Wohoo, coolers, I know what I will go look for when I get back from the dark.